The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Major Medical gone WAY up?

I got my insurance bill and I have major medical on 3 of the horses. I think last year I paid 250 per horse for the major medical, this year 375 per horse.

Anyone else?

Is it the same coverage? I know at least one company totally re-structured their medical policies this year. If the limit/deductible combination you had was eliminated, your agent may have bumped you up to the next option.

^This.

I recently renewed my insurance with Broadstone (mortality and major medical) and my premiums were the same as last year. Maybe your coverages have changed for some reason?

Default Note to self... while you watch

I know!

How do I know/saw it coming?

Because of the threads here on diagnostics go: "So we blocked, then X-rayed. Results were inconclusive so we did a bone scan. We did do an ultrasound, and we'll recheck with that in 6 weeks. A couple of MRIs were thrown in.... because, hey, the horse is insured."

The ones on treatment go: "(standard steroid-n-stuff) joint injections. Then IRAP and Shockwave. PRP and Tildren might work too (for various things).... and do it during this insurance year before the offending joint becomes uninsurable."

I can see the meter running as I read these, can you?

For diagnostic stuff, I do think it would be a good idea to have owners pay a percentage of what they decide to do. If you don't practice some restraint with diagnosis, the actuarial people will impose that for you.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

Great American, by any chance? I had a similar "surprise" earlier this year. We decided to basically self-insure a couple of mine (drop the insurance and then apply the premiums toward what we will cover ourselves if needed). I've had my horses insured for a number of years, so I kind of had an idea of what some claims have been and could compare it with the new coverage, which includes a lot of cost sharing of diagnostics and treatment. Based on that, I decided to only keep the two youngest and competitive horses insured.

12th floor of the Acme building in a city that knows how to keep it's secrets.

I dropped my insurance, too. Perhaps if my agent had called first, I wouldm
    have had a discussion and perhaps found an alternative. Since they only called after I didn't re-up, I thought I made the right decision.

I decided to self insure, too. The mortality wasn't a big draw. I just didn't want to have to count dollars if the question was surgery or euthanasia.
    You will not rise to the occasion, you will default to your level of training.

My company switched underwriters and my bill went up A LOT.

I might shop around now if anyone has recommendations. If not, I will stick with the same company for the next year.

Quote Originally Posted by Phaxxton View Post
    My company switched underwriters and my bill went up A LOT.

I might shop around now if anyone has recommendations. If not, I will stick with the same company for the next year.
    I have been very happy with my policy with Broadstone, which is underwritten by American Home Assurance Company. I am going on my fourth year with them and my premiums have not changed. Of course, I have yet to file a claim. I did a LOT of research before renewing this year, not because I was unhappy, just to see what else was out there. I stayed with Broadstone because I felt I was getting the most bang for my buck with them. Also, they were very willing to work with me when I wanted to do a payment plan rather than pay the entire premium at once. I would highly recommend them.

Quote Originally Posted by horsepoor View Post
    Great American, by any chance? I had a similar "surprise" earlier this year.
    Same thing here.
    "Whether you think you can or think you can't, you are right." -Henry Ford

I have Great American and my premium did not go up this year.

I have Great American and my premium did not go up this year (I just renewed).