The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Combining Inspections?

Living somewhere that is reasonably remote from any inspection sites for any registry, the answer is to offer to host one. Would it be of interest to breeders to have a double or even triple inspection site? And, probably more to the point, would the registries be open to having a combination inspection? Do you think it's appropriate to ask?

I know I would be interested in the chance to have my mares entered into the MMBs of more than one registry all in one hit, and it would also allow me to breed 'out of registry' but still have a foal inspected by the 'other' registry.

I'm thinking that renting the local fairgrounds for a day? weekend? would be the way to go - they have stabling for 100 or so horses and both indoor and outdoor arenas, plus you can hookup your super duper trailer and stay in it, and there are hotels/restaurants etc within walking distance.

What do you think?

We have tried that several times in the past here in GA. One year, we had three different registry inspections on consecutive days, and another year, we did two registry inspections on consecutive days.

We found that there were not too many mares being inspected into multiple registries, but a few folks did bring one mare/foal for one registry, another mare/foal for another registry, etc. Most breeders though wanted to come for ONE inspection and then load their horses up and get them back home. It is hard on mares with young foals and the foals themselves to be stuck in a stall at a strange facility for 2-3 days, plus not too many breeders want to be away from their farms for more than one day.

It is a nice way to draw breeders in an area together, but it is a headache for the organizer. The worst problem was trying to get all the registries to coordinate their inspections. They have to schedule their inspection tours so the logistics make sense to THEM - i.e., cannot have inspectors criss-crossing the country like crazy - it is too tiring on the inspectors and too expensive.

Sorry to be discouraging, but those are the problems we ran into here.

I believe Hilltop Farm tried to have back to back inspections with Hano and OLNA so they could give breeders the most bang for the buck with rental of portable stalls. They don't do that anymore. The inspections are not back to back and the portable stalls are no more. The cost of the portables just got too high. Maybe it would work with a fairgrounds. As DY said, though, it would probably be different breeders for each registry, rather than same breeders for multiple registries.

Would there be a problem with that? Yeah, you, or someone, would have to really strip the stalls well in between inspections, or use totally different stalls. Something to consider.
    Tranquility Farm - Proud breeder of Born in the USA Sport Horses, and Cob-sized Warmbloods
    Now apparently completely invisible!

Ok, I was being totally naive. I was thinking that there'd be two lots of inspectors (or even three!) watching the same horses at the same time, so it would be ONE braiding/showing/presentation for the mares and foals.

There would be enough room to do MPTs or branding or separate inspections in the other arena.

The registries would raise more money by having mares inspected that they wouldn't normally have presented, and breeders would take the opportunity to present their mares to registries they wouldn't normally.

Crazy, huh?

Quote Originally Posted by Molly Malone View Post
    Ok, I was being totally naive. I was thinking that there'd be two lots of inspectors (or even three!) watching the same horses at the same time, so it would be ONE braiding/showing/presentation for the mares and foals.
    The problem is that each registry has its own way of doing things and its own protocol/schedule. For instance, the Hanoverians do non-Hanoverian mares, then Hanoverian mares, then foals. The Oldenburgs do mares w/o foals, then mares with foals (both to be inspected), then just foals (dams already approved). Some want the mare walked directly up/back the middle of the triangle, some send the mare walking up/back one side of the triangle. Some turn mares loose, some don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Molly Malone View Post
    The registries would raise more money by having mares inspected that they wouldn't normally have presented, and breeders would take the opportunity to present their mares to registries they wouldn't normally.
    As said earlier, in our experience here, very few breeders took the opportunity to present their mares to more than one registry. Money is too tight and most breeders are picking one registry and sticking with it.