The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Trying to locate horse

Since I'm about to graduate college (as in Friday), I'm interested in trying to relocate my old TB I had a few years ago.

I bought him from a local vet who raced horses on the side back in 2002. Since then, I gave him to an old cowboy who was interested in him. I didn't have the time for him since I was about to go off to college. After that, I know that the cowboy gave him to someone else, and a few years later the cowboy died -- so I'm not exactly sure how to find out who has him currently.

I don't remember his registered jockey club name, but I know if I saw it, I would recognize it. I, obviously, have his previous owner's name.

My question is, is there anyway for me to find out previous horses that belonged to a specific race barn/person, so that I can find the horse's registered name? I know it's not essential to have to find him, but I'm just really interested in having it.

Sorry this is so off-topic.
    Last edited by alisonandshiloh; May. 13, 2010 at 02:31 AM. Reason: title ambiguity

Just an idea, but if you bought the horse from a vet, the vet probably has the horse's registered name in the horse's old medical records. That would help.
    Head Geek at The Saddle Geek Blog, Launching September 2015 http://www.thesaddlegeek.com/

Are you asking if there is a way to find out his JC name by his last know race trainer's name? Do you know the last year he raced and where? I'm not sure, but you can call the Jockey Club and ask, or post this on the racing forum and see if anyone there might have a quick answer for you. I hope you find him again.
    WestWind Farms
    Love means attention, which means looking after the things we love. We call this stable management.
    - George H. Morris

You can get all of the horses that raced for a particular trainer in whatever time frame you need it. I had several pulled at our local HBPA (Horsemen's Benevolent and Protective Association), it cost $8 but you can do it yourself from Equibase reports.
    "When written in Chinese, the word "crisis" is composed of two characters, one represents danger, the other represents opportunity."

John F Kennedy

Quote Originally Posted by jn4jenny View Post
    Just an idea, but if you bought the horse from a vet, the vet probably has the horse's registered name in the horse's old medical records. That would help.
    Sorry, after reading my OP I know that seemed like an obvious answer to my question. I should've included the fact that I no longer know how to get in contact with the vet. He's out of practice and has since moved on.

And, thank you everyone for your suggestions. I'm going to try equibase again and see if I can find anything.

Quote Originally Posted by alisonandshiloh View Post
    Sorry, after reading my OP I know that seemed like an obvious answer to my question. I should've included the fact that I no longer know how to get in contact with the vet. He's out of practice and has since moved on.

And, thank you everyone for your suggestions. I'm going to try equibase again and see if I can find anything.
    #1 if you know the name and previous practice area of the vet someone on COTH will know. Make a post that says, "Looking to find horse that belonged to x vet in Houston area" in the subject line and somebody will help you.

#2. Post this in the racing forum. The racing folks helped me out a lot and all I had to give them was an old coggins with the horse's JC name on it (no tattoo) and the old track where he was. Somebody will know who the vet who had racehorses was.

Ok Ali, you know I have an insane memory. Elvis' name was, I think, Granville's Winner or something quite similar to that. I think all of Dr K's horses were Granville or Grandville something due to his stallion.
    I just replied to you on FB about this. Anyway, I think one of the tech's at Fain and Smather's had him at one time. Penny or something, so might try researching that. I believe she lived across the street from the cowboy guy and he gave Elvis to her when he became sick.
    Rhode Islands are red;
    North Hollands are blue.
    Sorry my thoroughbreds
    Stomped on your roo. Originally Posted by pAin't_Misbehavin' :

Granville's Winner is a TX bred who raced 4 times in TX. Under owner John Kahla (and trainer J Pennington) the last time out.
    "smile a lot can let us ride happy,it is good thing"

My CANTER blog.

Registered Thoroughbred
    Name: Granville's Winner
    Dam: Atlanta Princess
    Certificate Issued Date: 10/18/2000
    Foaling Year: 2000
    Sex: Horse
    Breeder: John W. Kahla DVM
    DNA Sample: Frozen blood sample is likely to be available

I think this is him A.
    Rhode Islands are red;
    North Hollands are blue.
    Sorry my thoroughbreds

You guys are amazing!! Thank you so much.

And J -- your memory astounds me. How in the WORLD did you possibly remember that?

I have to agree, that was fast and an amazing memory RacetrackReject! OP, you may want to change the title to "trying to locate", as it sounds now it looks like you are trying to move a horse somewhere.
    "When written in Chinese, the word "crisis" is composed of two characters, one represents danger, the other represents opportunity."

John F Kennedy

Quote Originally Posted by Calamber View Post
    I have to agree, that was fast and an amazing memory RacetrackReject! OP, you may want to change the title to "trying to locate", as it sounds now it looks like you are trying to move a horse somewhere.
    You know, I thought that. Thanks for confirming it! I'll change the title asap.

Let us know how it goes- hope you find him!
    The wind of heaven is that which blows between a horse's ears. ~ Arabian Proverb

Wow RR that was kinda spooky! Way to go, that's cool you remembered all that. Who needs online databases when we have RR OP, definitely let us know if/when you find him again!
    WestWind Farms
    Love means attention, which means looking after the things we love. We call this stable management.
    - George H. Morris

I should probably add that Alisonandshiloh and I lived in the same town and rode at the same barn for quite a while, like since she was 12..lol. I also used to care for her animals (horses, dogs, and cat) when they were out of town. We've been friends for years. I'm not some crazy stalker, I promise.

Ishi, you met A at Rolex way back when =D.

I had asked the Penny girl about Elvis one time as she works at the vet office I use for my dogs and horses, but I don't remember what she said except that she did not own him anymore.
    Rhode Islands are red;
    North Hollands are blue.
    Sorry my thoroughbreds