The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default so which new truck is gonna make me happy?

i need to decide if i'm going to keep my truck for a few more years with no or minimal body work, or sell now and get myself an entirely new rig. it's just beginning to show rust, so i need to decide while money is still cheap.
    my current truck is the 7.3 diesel 2002. it's the one ton, and i really like how powerfully it hauls, how safe i feel, and the overall size.
    but--i do wish i had the full second cab, and wonder if i have a tapered gooseneck if i can get away with a shortbed. i find i really need the extra interior space.
    i'd also really, really like the king ranch truck, but what other trucks should i consider?
    forgot to add, i pull a hawk gooseneck--3-4 horse straight load.

I'd figure out how to keep it. There's a recent thread on this exact subject, somewhere.

I know how you feel...the new trucks are gorgeous. It's very tempting to buy one.

i know, but the rust is just beginning and i'm told that unless i invest now in body work, i may as well buy a new one, which is nuts imo, since why build an engine which will last three hundred thousand miles if i can't keep the body that long?
    it's not like i haven't been mainitaining it, i have--but still there are spots appearing here and there. i'm a nut about rust and cannot stand to see it; so i'm starting to think about the dreaded truck payment again. and trailer payment--again.
    i know that i'll replace my trailer with exactly what i've got--but which truck is the big question, since i can't just buy a new 7.3 one ton.

Suz, did you know the 7.3L diesel ended with mid-year 2003 models? Couldn't
    make the emissions regulations. We have a 1996 model but no rust however the
    truck has been only in Colorado and Texas so no salt on the roads. Colorado uses very fine gravel but no salt. Texas gets so little snow they can't figure what to use.

Ford's next engine was the 6.0 which was a nightmare until about the last year,
    2006, I think. Now there is a 6.4 but don't know much about. From what I understand, neither get the mileage the 7.3L did.

Have you thought about looking outside your area for used 7.3L--areas where
    salt isn't used or climate doesn't require it? I scan Craigslist occasionally for a newer 7.3L and check out the Denver area where they turn up some and are almost always 4x4.

If you don't have a lot of miles on your present model, the body work might be
    worth it and beats a truck payment.

I think a brand new vehicle and one not bought for cash is just about one of the worst investments out there. And you have a 7.3 diesel!

I reveal my bias up front so that you can decide to take the rest of my advice seriously or not. You might go get an estimate for what it would take to stop the rust in its tracks. I'd do that, test drive some new ones and then do some math and soul searching.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

OMG, keep that 7.3L. There is reason people are fighting tooth and nail over them. They can't be matched by anything new out there. New trucks are NOT going cheap, dealers are moving them off the lots. And you can do all the body work you want for cheaper than a new truck. I wouldn't give up my 7.3L for a bazillion dollars! Okay, maybe a bazillion, but not a million!

Finally...back in civilization, more or less

I have a 7.3L (99) Supercab/Long bed. There are times when I'd like the extra room in my truck although frankly I have a GN too and wouldn't give up that long bed. And I admit I Loooooooove those King Ranch models!! Mine was just the standard no frills model although I did have some interior work done to dress it up a bit.

However, I'd think carefully about what BasqueMom points out. Ford has yet to come up with an engine anywhere near comparable to the 7.3L, either in terms of performance/mileage or durability.

In your shoes I would seriously consider getting the necessary body work done in lieu of a big truck payment (and a lesser engine.)
    We move pretty fast for some rabid garden snails.
    -PaulaEdwina

well i hope to heck i can get body work to stop the rust, but the few people i've spoken to about it say it will be a bandaid at best. my brother the motorhead restores antique cars and even says i'd be better off saving for a new truck in a couple of years.
    but i need to address the rust, it's so small and i just cannot believe there is no way to halt it for a couple of years at least.
    i'd really rather keep what i have in good condition than get a lesser truck and a monthly payment--i paid cash for mine!!

Bak in the Rust Ages (aka the 1980's) I did a lot of body work on cars. college student = cheap cars = rust; broke college student + rust = DIY. If you get the rust off and seal the metal good it should be fine for a few years anyway. You have to make sure metal isnt open to air. With ZBart and all the other things to seal it you should get 3+ years out of it wiht a good body repair person.

Otherwise someone on COTH will buy it form you and fix it up!
    “Management is doing things right; leadership is doing the right things.” Peter Drucker

If it were mine, I would get as much out of it as I could. Stop the rust from spreading and go from there.

Of course, I would probably never buy a brand new vehicle period. Even paying all cash or with 0% financing. They depreciate so much in the first few years.

But that's just me.
    Siouxland Sporthorses: http://slsfarm.blogspot.com/

DIY Journey of Remodeling the Farmette: http://weownblackacre.blogspot.com/

Well, of course metal always rusts. A new truck will rust the same as the truck you have, given time. If that's what they mean by "bandaid." But addressing the rust you have now will halt its spread. Addressing small spots as they come up is easier than waiting and having to replace entire panels. Although that can be done too with some rummaging around junkyards.

I found the truck of my dreams on CraigsList. I had to drive to Salinas to get it.
    They are out there.

2001 7.3L, small backseat (for the dogs), long bed, 4WD

And I lent it to someone who brought it back with over $3000 damage to the side of the bed.

turns out the insurance goes with the vehicle, not the driver. . .

it is fixed now.

loaner beware
    A man must love a thing very much if he not only practices it without any hope of fame or money, but even practices it without any hope of doing it well.--G. K. Chesterton

I have a love hate relationship with my '95 F350, crew cab. 7.3 engine with 410 rear end. 240k miles. WHEN it runs, it pulls like a dream and I LOVE it.

It drinks diesel faster than I can get to the next gas station and it has left me stranded more times than I can count over the 7 years I've owned it. I have replaced the transmission once, turbo twice, glow plugs once, 4wd components once. It's most recent antics were to just stop....no warning. Dealer replaced several switches to no avail. They wanted to replace some expensive part on it. I decided I had other things to spend my hard earned $$ on. So, I had it towed home and was going to sell all the newish parts off of it. New mechanic down the road offers to look at it and suggests we lift the bed off and clean out the diesel tanks. Think that was what should have been done AGES ago. There was a ton of dirt and sludge in both of the tanks. His theory is that the sludge was being sucked into the engine and clogging it...seemed to make sense to me. Drove it on a longish trip last weekend as a trial run. Ran like a charm and got 15 miles/gallon. An alltime best. But a new problem developed when I got home...can't get the key out of the ignition. Oh well. When I don't like my truck again , the key will be in it for anyone that wants it!

In the meantime, I am so excited to hook the trailer up and head out. I'm sure it'll strand me again with a new problem but for the time being, I love my truck.....

Quote Originally Posted by Humblepie View Post
    I have a love hate relationship with my '95 F350, crew cab. 7.3 engine with 410 rear end. 240k miles. WHEN it runs, it pulls like a dream and I LOVE it.

It drinks diesel faster than I can get to the next gas station and it has left me stranded more times than I can count over the 7 years I've owned it. I have replaced the transmission once, turbo twice, glow plugs once, 4wd components once. It's most recent antics were to just stop....no warning. Dealer replaced several switches to no avail. They wanted to replace some expensive part on it. I decided I had other things to spend my hard earned $$ on. So, I had it towed home and was going to sell all the newish parts off of it. New mechanic down the road offers to look at it and suggests we lift the bed off and clean out the diesel tanks. Think that was what should have been done AGES ago. There was a ton of dirt and sludge in both of the tanks. His theory is that the sludge was being sucked into the engine and clogging it...seemed to make sense to me. Drove it on a longish trip last weekend as a trial run. Ran like a charm and got 15 miles/gallon. An alltime best. But a new problem developed when I got home...can't get the key out of the ignition. Oh well. When I don't like my truck again , the key will be in it for anyone that wants it!
    I'm comin' over for a visit....

When you walk about to see a 1990 7.3L (non-turbo) rust bucket in your driveway next morning, don't complain. This truck may be ugly, but she Will Not Die.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat