The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Issues after wolf teeth removed

I just had my new 2 year old geldings teeth floated for the first time on Friday. He had two large wolf teeth so my vet pulled them at the same time.

Everything went as planned........vet gave him Banamine for pain. Milo ate his grain fine that night and no problems with eating his hay. He has not eaten any grain since. He has no temperature and is eating everything else fine even treats but he wants nothing to do with his grain. I called my vet yesterday and he said that unless I noticed a fever or if his mouth smelled funny we wouldn't worry for a few more days.

Has anyone else ever experienced a horse off his grain for this long after wolf teeth removal or having their teeth floated?
    RIP Sucha Smooth Whiskey
    May 17,2004 - March 29, 2010
    RIP San Lena Peppy
    May 3, 1991 - March 11, 2010

Did you see the teeth after they were removed - did they appear to be 'complete'?

I can't imagine the wolf tooth extraction had anything to do with your boy's lack of interest in his grain. The wolfers aren't involved in eating and the sockets they came out of shouldn't be a bother during eating since there is no opposing tooth to irritate. I would think the floating is the more likely culprit but hay is more likely to cause difficulty than grain. Very strange! Let's hope he's eating grain by breakfast tomorrow.

My new & older mare went off her grain for several (4) days after a badly needed teeth float ~ still ate her hay ~ never had any others exhibit this behavior though. Jingles for Milo to be eating normally soon.
    Zu Zu Bailey " IT"S A WONDERFUL LIFE !"

This may sound a bit of a strange question, but did you try feeding him from a different bowl/container? I had a gelding once who could be "tricked" once into eating grain laced with meds, but would then refuse to eat anything out of that dish again. Your guy's sense of smell may have still been affected by the dental work when he ate the grain with meds. Now that he can smell the med residual, perhaps he is now suspicious. Just a thought. I hope he is fine soon.

I have in the past been advised when a horse was a little reluctant to eat after dental work to take him out and let him graze on some long grass. It was something about how the mouth feels different to them and they kind of have to figure out how to move it the right way to eat -- this was more often a horse that was older and had lots of changes made so I wouldn't necessarily expect a young horse to do that. But it might be worth a try.

It might just be that he is a bit sore after the work (think of having your mouth held open by a metal speculum and teeth filed away on) and it will take some time for him to feel more like eating. Maybe wetting the grain will soften it, if that is the problem.

This was his first float ever since he is only two.My vet said that one side was pretty good but the other side was worse. I noticed that he was having trouble eating so I got his teeth done fairly soon after his pre-purchase exam.

His wolf teeth were fairly big but they did come out complete and very quickly. He had some bleeding but it stopped even before the vet left.

Tonight I gave him his grain and he didn't even come over to the bucket. He is eating apples fine and I even gave him some hard treats. He was able to eat them but he was careful where he put them in his mouth to chew.

He has been fed Safechoice most of his life and I switched him when I bought him to the grain that I use. He didn't like it at first but seemed fine after a few days. I am going to go and buy him a bag of SafeChoice tomorrow to see if that gets him eating again.
    RIP Sucha Smooth Whiskey
    RIP San Lena Peppy

I would try soaking the grain. He may find it too hard right now, and soaking it will soften it for him.

Quote Originally Posted by dwblover View Post
    I would try soaking the grain. He may find it too hard right now, and soaking it will soften it for him.
    I tried that first thing. I even tried to soak it and hand feed it to him, he still wouldn't eat it
    RIP Sucha Smooth Whiskey
    RIP San Lena Peppy

If Milo is eating hay and apples ~ just a few more days of healing will enable him to start eating his grain again, be patient. Just when you think it has been way too long he will surprise you. IMHO ~ Jingles and please update ... a scratch on the back for both Molly and Spooky. ~ my mare was off her grain for probably 5 days BUT ate hay.

Bumping for a Milo update - is he eating his grain yet?? ~ Jingles.

I went and bought a couple bags of Safe Choice and he dove into it as soon as it hit his bucket. My vet was right again.............he must have been associating the other grain with discomfort.

I will continue to feed him Safe Choice.
    RIP Sucha Smooth Whiskey
    RIP San Lena Peppy

Yeah! I am so happy that he is eating again. It is frustrating at times. Glad he is feeling better!