The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Truck and Trailer Shopping - Suggestions/Advice needed

I am in the market for a used truck and trailer. My budget is between 15K and 20K cash to pay both (preferably in the 15K range). But, what I would prefer to do is put 10K on a truck and make small payments for the rest and find a 2horse trailer for around 5K maybe up to 7K.

From a truck I want an extended cab or 4 door . I want a std bed, but my dad says get a short bed – why??? Most likely I will get a bumper pull. If I could find a 2-horse gooseneck in my price range that would be nice – but I am thinking with a gooseneck I would need the longer bed…

What I need to know:

1. Is a V6 ok or do I need a V8
    2. Do I need 4WD
    3. What brands are good for towing – previously I had a Ford F150, I have heard Dodges have bad transmissions, my dad says get a Toyota Tundra…..what are your opinions?
    4. Lastly, does it really need to be a truck or are larger model SUVs sufficient – Tahoes, etc.
    \"A smart lady knows its ok to change her mind, a damn fool never does\"

V-6 should be okay as long as it has at least 250 hp. I doubt 4WD is necessary unless you plan on driving out into the middle of nowhere or on bad roads, steep grades. inclement weather, etc.

If all you are wanting in terms of the trailer is a 2-horse Bumper-pull, I don't think a truck is necessary nor is a large gas-guzzling SUV. Many mid-size models and even mini-vans are capable of towing around 3500 lbs. Heck, if I could afford a trailer, my Lexus RX 330 could tow it. (Sadly, cannot afford trailer BECAUSE of aforementioned SUV AND horsey's expenses) V-6 Highlander could too, and certainly the hybrid versions of both vehicles. Toyota Sienna, Honda Odyssey could also do the job for you, and maybe you'd want to look into a 4Runner, Sequoia, or Pilot.

JMO, I'd personally stay away from anything Chrysler or Ford-- my dad's a mechanic and he's always said these are junk. (Exactly why, I'm not sure)

I disagree with your dad. If you are towing, a long bed is the best for extra stablility and room for stuff. Much easier if you have a gooseneck as well - then you are less likely to smash the back window out if you turn tight as it isn't as close to the hitch.

Nancy!

IMO, 4WD is a lifesaver. You may not always use it, but when you need it, you need it.

A shorter bed is nice if you're planning on driving your truck around town- they fit into parking spots better and are easier to maneuver. BUT I love my standard bed when I have to haul hay and such. I guess it depend on what you want to use the bed of the truck for.

Most makes of trucks have different models that are built for towing. You'll just have to do some research.

You can pull a lighter weight trailer with a heavier SUV, Especially if the trailer that you get has trailer brakes. It's not the pulling power that I worry about as much as the stopping ability. However, I think that if you ever want to upgrade to a bigger trailer, it would sure be nice if you didn't also have to upgrade your truck, too.

Just some food for thought- eventually you'll have to just figure out what you like and what you don't and what will work and what doesn't and go from there. Good luck!

First, pick you trailer. Then find a truck to pull it.

When you get the trailer get it weighed, empty. Then calculate the weight of horses, tack, forrage, fodder, etc. that you'll be hauling. This will give you the upper gross weight you'll be looking at.

Now find the truck. For an average two horse with a dressing room (even a steel one) you can likely get get by with a 3/4 ton, single rear wheel. Get one with an engine big enough to tow without always being at the upper end of its capability. That's going to mean a large gas V8 (in a Ford a V10 is possible) or a diesel. Don't skimp on the truck power; you'll be very unhappy if you do.

Crew cabs are very convienient.

4WD has gotten us out of difficulties on more than one occasion. It's never gotten me into one.

I prefer the long bed for two reasons. We use the truck for lots of other jobs. With some SBs and goosenecks you can't intentionally "jackknife" the combination and get out of a problem; the SB permits the truck to contact the nose of the gooseneck. This is likely a "choice" question, but be aware of the issue.

The Toyotas are nice trucks but are also Big Bucks. Don't have much experience with Dodges. I went through four transmissions in a '92 Ford F350. Every truck has some "issues" so be wary of "net gossip."

There are lots of alternatives around so take your time and shop carefully.

Good luck in your search.

G.

Personally I think Tundras are overpriced for what they are. Definitely go used for your price range, probably 6-10 years old. I love my Ford. When I was looking for trucks I actually found that Ford is most reasonably priced and that the F250s are actually cheaper than the F150s for a truck in good condition. Most of the Silverados, F150s and 1500s in my price range ($10,000) were trashed by their previous owners. I found an F250 V10 4x4 (V10 is too much imo) with 120K miles, but well taken care of and in showroom condition for $10k and the dealer replaced the brakes and did a tune up on it for me.

I still don't have a trailer, but look at this one from WW - http://www.oklahomatrailersales.com/ww6x16.asp . With the option of 7' tall I'm sure it will cost a little more, but $6850 for an all aluminum trailer is a really good price and it's really pretty and brand new. For a steel trailer you can buy new for $5K. I notice the used trailers for sale around here are ready for the junkyard and generally only priced a little bit lower than buying new. So since a trailer will last you a long, long time, I would buy new and just take really good care of it.

Outside Ocala FL - Horse Capital of the World

Quote Originally Posted by Guilherme View Post
    First, pick you trailer. Then find a truck to pull it.

When you get the trailer get it weighed, empty. Then calculate the weight of horses, tack, forrage, fodder, etc. that you'll be hauling. This will give you the upper gross weight you'll be looking at.

Now find the truck. For an average two horse with a dressing room (even a steel one) you can likely get get by with a 3/4 ton, single rear wheel. Get one with an engine big enough to tow without always being at the upper end of its capability. That's going to mean a large gas V8 (in a Ford a V10 is possible) or a diesel. Don't skimp on the truck power; you'll be very unhappy if you do.

Crew cabs are very convienient.

4WD has gotten us out of difficulties on more than one occasion. It's never gotten me into one.

I prefer the long bed for two reasons. We use the truck for lots of other jobs. With some SBs and goosenecks you can't intentionally "jackknife" the combination and get out of a problem; the SB permits the truck to contact the nose of the gooseneck. This is likely a "choice" question, but be aware of the issue.

The Toyotas are nice trucks but are also Big Bucks. Don't have much experience with Dodges. I went through four transmissions in a '92 Ford F350. Every truck has some "issues" so be wary of "net gossip."

There are lots of alternatives around so take your time and shop carefully.

Good luck in your search.

G.
    This ^. It's how I bought my first "rig" bought the trailer, then sent the mechanic to the car auctions to buy the right truck to tow it with. Ended up with a 6 year old Chevy one-ton, single cab, long bed. I was very happy until my daughter became old enough to go to shows with me and I needed a back seat (10 years after buying the used truck). By that time my financial situation had improved, so I sold the used truck for almost the same amount of money that I had paid for it, and bought a brand new one capable of hauling the trailer.
    There are friends and faces that may be forgotten, but there are horses that never will be. - Andy Adams

So tell us . What truck and trailer did you end up with .
    I too have a close friend that is looking and boy the choices are difficult ..
    "YOU create your own stage. The audience is waiting."

I think your budget will constrain your choices and mean that you need to learn a lot and then spend time looking for what you want.

Definitely buy enough truck. If I lived in really snow country or planned to haul with horses to rides that involved parking in people's fields (as opposed to show grounds), I'd put my money into a 4WD vehicle and accept a gasoline engine, higher milage or whatever brought the price back down to the number I wanted.

I'm in the market and I'm not yet ready to open my mind to a half-ton or a short-wheel based SUV. The length and multiple features of a 3/4 ton, and a towing package (better tranny and cooler) matter most when towing. If I were planning on using a small or light 2H bumper pull infrequently and in flat country, I'd be more open to a 1/2 ton if it were long enough.

I cling to the 3/4 ton truck because of my taste in trailers (and the one I own). It's a 2H BP with Dressing room-- long and heavy at #3,500 empty.

This will sound like a contradiction that blows your budget, but it's not in the long term. Buy the trailer you'll actually want to use for a long time. I'd look at new ones and plan to own it forever. I'd do that until I found that my $5K or $7K didn't get me enough trailer. Then, depending on the part of the country I was in and what local conditions do to trailers, I'd figure out what cost-adding features I wanted-- dressing room, 7'6" tall, ramp vs. step-up, enclosed vs. stock, steel vs. aluminum-- and look for the used trailer that had those. Trailers are simple vehicles and it makes sense to keep and care for them forever. So their features-- good or bad-- will also be with you.

Be honest about what you want in a hauling rig-- 4WD or not, how big a trailer you'll be happy with for a long time. Then don't buy a truck too small to get the job done with your horses in tow. That's when the rig will be taxed the most, but also when it's most important to have one you trust.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

Default Truck/Trailer Shopping....Horse Trailer World is Full of Helpful Info.!

You should go to Horse Trailer World and check out the forums, you'll get a TON of invaluable information on towing vehicle safety.

For safety's sake, the bigger the truck the better, unless you are going to purchase a Brenderup or older Merhow (they are made out of a material called FRP, a lightweight composite).

Here is the website link: http://www.horsetrailerworld.com/home/newhome.asp

You can also find page after page of horse trailers for sale.

Good luck!
    Proud Native Texan!
    owned by 3 Cardigan Corgi's + 3 wonderful horses!

Thanks. I wound up paying about 20K for the truck, a 2005 Ford F150 FX4 with ext. cab. And saved/am saving up for the trailer.

I had to buy the truck first because my car was getting close to its last leg.

I am currently trailer shopping.
    \"A smart lady knows its ok to change her mind, a damn fool never does\"