The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results
 
Results 1 to 20 of 20
  1. #1
    Join Date
    May. 23, 2006
    Posts
    5,487

    Default Oliver Townend buys....

    Mike Winter's Unsteelable. So that is two american horses bought for him.

    Paris, Kelly Temple's previous horse and sold to Oli's ex Piggy French will be out this year after time off from injury.



  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul. 30, 2005
    Location
    England
    Posts
    10,663

    Default

    He's getting a nice team of horses together. Should be interesting to watch over the next few years.
    Horse Show Names Free name website with over 6200 names. Want to add? PM me!



  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul. 17, 2003
    Location
    Maine
    Posts
    279

    Default

    Never met Oli, and reserve judgment despite some negative press that concerns me, however I was impressed with his ready smile and good humor when he returned as a spectator after his fall. He is one heck of a rider! I hope his rep as a horseman improves.



  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan. 17, 2008
    Posts
    2,081

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wolfmare View Post
    Never met Oli, and reserve judgment despite some negative press that concerns me, however I was impressed with his ready smile and good humor when he returned as a spectator after his fall. He is one heck of a rider! I hope his rep as a horseman improves.
    He is awesome....great teacher, awesome rider, nice guy....still have no idea what the issue is with the guy. Very excited to see what he can do.

    Yet to see evidence of him being any less a horseman than his peers.
    "look deep into his pedigree. Look for the name of a one-of-a-kind horse who lends to his kin a fierce tenacity, a will of iron, a look of eagles. Look & know that Slew is still very much with us."



  5. #5
    Join Date
    Sep. 6, 1999
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ
    Posts
    5,255

    Default

    Should be interesting to see what kind of person he is once he's got a string of horses. He even knows he's an a-hole and runs his horse a lot and his excuse is that in order to be on top, this is what you have to do. He makes no excuses about forsaking the horses in order for the win. Let's see if he changes his tune and we see some horsemanship.
    I do admire that he's upfront about it even though I don't like it.



  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul. 30, 2005
    Location
    England
    Posts
    10,663

    Default

    Hmm. Wonder if the crash he had will change how he rides?
    Horse Show Names Free name website with over 6200 names. Want to add? PM me!



  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul. 19, 2003
    Location
    Middleburg, VA
    Posts
    13,325

    Default

    I thought Piggy French had Paris? Did he get the ride on him?? (I believe Piggy was/is his GF).

    He also bought Three Wishes, who he crashed with at Fair Hill in '08, I think.

    At least we know our horses are good enough to be coveted by the Brits!



  8. #8
    Join Date
    Aug. 11, 2009
    Location
    England
    Posts
    402

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by yellowbritches View Post
    I thought Piggy French had Paris? Did he get the ride on him?? (I believe Piggy was/is his GF).

    He also bought Three Wishes, who he crashed with at Fair Hill in '08, I think.

    At least we know our horses are good enough to be coveted by the Brits!
    Piggy French still has Paris. Three Wishes will be ridden by Martyn Johnson at his next event (I've been having a good nosey on Bdwp)



  9. #9
    Join Date
    May. 23, 2006
    Posts
    5,487

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by yellowbritches View Post
    I thought Piggy French had Paris? Did he get the ride on him?? (I believe Piggy was/is his GF).

    He also bought Three Wishes, who he crashed with at Fair Hill in '08, I think.

    At least we know our horses are good enough to be coveted by the Brits!


    sorry for the confussion...I added in the "paris" bit to an Oli thread, but yes Piggy does still have him.



  10. #10
    Join Date
    Oct. 17, 2009
    Location
    Unionville
    Posts
    1,071

    Default

    I agree with YB: Interesting to see our bloodstock heading across the pods since there has always been a vocal group contending that we (the US) do not have the quality of horseflesh as them (the Euros) and that we might never because they won't ever sell us their best (thereby allowing us to improve our lines).

    I have always been highly skeptical of the above argument but am not a breeding expert at all. I would love to hear someone who advocates this POV chime in.

    However, I do realize that this is only a handful of horses and that my make this post rhetorical.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals" Immanuel Kant



  11. #11
    Join Date
    May. 23, 2006
    Posts
    5,487

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by VicariousRider View Post
    I agree with YB: Interesting to see our bloodstock heading across the pods since there has always been a vocal group contending that we (the US) do not have the quality of horseflesh as them (the Euros) and that we might never because they won't ever sell us their best (thereby allowing us to improve our lines).

    I have always been highly skeptical of the above argument but am not a breeding expert at all. I would love to hear someone who advocates this POV chime in.

    However, I do realize that this is only a handful of horses and that my make this post rhetorical.


    These horses were bought because the riders needed 3/4 star horses for their string and ai the time the us Dollar was not worth the paper it was printed on and they could get them "cheap" with the exchange rate. It had nothing to do with breediing



  12. #12
    Join Date
    Oct. 14, 2000
    Location
    Now In the Sandhills, NC mostly
    Posts
    6,784

    Default

    And this particular horse was not purpose-bred for eventing, but rather for the racetrack.



  13. #13
    Join Date
    Aug. 21, 2000
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    2,645

    Default

    How has Three Wishes done overseas?

    I remember when OT bought the horse right before FHI then promptly crashed cross-country. I remember how stricken his former owner looked as the horse galloping back up the hill, bridle-less, after parting ways with OT at the coffin.

    I hope things smoothed out from there!
    I evented just for the Halibut.



  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jul. 30, 2005
    Location
    England
    Posts
    10,663

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by NeverTime View Post
    How has Three Wishes done overseas?

    I remember when OT bought the horse right before FHI then promptly crashed cross-country. I remember how stricken his former owner looked as the horse galloping back up the hill, bridle-less, after parting ways with OT at the coffin.

    I hope things smoothed out from there!
    Here's his BE record.

    http://www.britisheventing.com/asp-n...?HorseId=82780
    Horse Show Names Free name website with over 6200 names. Want to add? PM me!



  15. #15
    Join Date
    Aug. 29, 2007
    Location
    Middle TN
    Posts
    470

    Default

    What?! Oli has Unsteelable? He's one of my favorites...bummed to see him leave the US and now have a UK rider. I hope Oli treats him well. He's one hell of a rider but I worry about his priorities at times.
    Hillside Haven Farm
    From starting gate to start box!



  16. #16
    Join Date
    Apr. 28, 2009
    Location
    I can't see Texas from here...
    Posts
    94

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mcorbett View Post
    What?! Oli has Unsteelable? He's one of my favorites...bummed to see him leave the US and now have a UK rider. I hope Oli treats him well. He's one hell of a rider but I worry about his priorities at times.
    Ditto. Though, hasn't Unsteelable been in the UK with the Winters since they moved back?
    "A good feeling after the round is better than any ribbon." ~ Bert de Némethy



  17. #17
    Join Date
    Aug. 29, 2007
    Location
    Middle TN
    Posts
    470

    Default

    Yeah he has, I was bummed to see him move to the UK THEN be sold to someone over there!
    Hillside Haven Farm
    From starting gate to start box!



  18. #18
    Join Date
    Dec. 18, 2009
    Posts
    272

    Default

    Unsteelable was sold a couple of weeks ago for around £100k. He was based with MW and did CIC3* at Burnham Market.

    Do not worry it works both ways Michael Ryan has just sold a training horse to the USA for $70k!!
    The only place where success comes before work is in the dictionary.



  19. #19
    Join Date
    Oct. 17, 2009
    Location
    Unionville
    Posts
    1,071

    Default

    Regardless of whether horses are purpose-bred or not, the selling of expensive UL horses to Europe indicates to me the quality of horses that we already HAVE in the US. My point is not that we have done a stellar job of designing these athletes, but that the quality animals already exist in some form over here and that maybe we don't NEED to buy them from "over there."
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals" Immanuel Kant



  20. #20
    Join Date
    Oct. 14, 2000
    Location
    Now In the Sandhills, NC mostly
    Posts
    6,784

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by VicariousRider View Post
    Regardless of whether horses are purpose-bred or not, the selling of expensive UL horses to Europe indicates to me the quality of horses that we already HAVE in the US. My point is not that we have done a stellar job of designing these athletes, but that the quality animals already exist in some form over here and that maybe we don't NEED to buy them from "over there."
    TOTALLY agree! and they still exist at the racetrack



Similar Threads

  1. Sad news for Oliver Townend
    By Lori T in forum Eventing
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: Oct. 28, 2011, 02:24 PM
  2. Oliver Townend - hoping he will be ok, and soon
    By OverandOnward in forum Eventing
    Replies: 103
    Last Post: Apr. 25, 2010, 08:45 PM
  3. Oliver Townend at Pau
    By KMErickson in forum Eventing
    Replies: 49
    Last Post: Apr. 21, 2010, 01:32 AM
  4. My lessons with Oliver Townend
    By Shrunk "N" Da Wash in forum Eventing
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: Nov. 26, 2009, 09:10 AM
  5. Oliver Townend - anyone gone to his clinics
    By Bravestrom in forum Eventing
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: Nov. 9, 2009, 12:51 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
randomness