The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Tempi Event Watch on TOTD

-my life-
    Translation
    fri [fri:] fritt fria (adj): Free
    skritt [skrit:] skritten (noun): Walk

I was wondering about them too. I actually have the TOTD window open and awaiting to possibly input credit card info....

Me too-
    Seem to have misplaced my Big Yellow watch and need a new one. Wondering if this watch will be sufficient or if I should spend the extra to get another Optimum Time watch.

I just took the plunge and ordered one. I found my Big Yellow Watch to be a complete disappointment. It died on me after only one or two seasons.

If this thing lasts me that long it's already worth it.

I ordered one too. Figured if it's bad I'm not out too much money.

I'm hoping to be pleasantly surprised.
    Harmonys Maestro: 1992-2008 RIP
    Morally Grey - Training level here we come

Thanks, Frittskitt. I just ordered one! Hope it works, because my sense of time has gotten distorted with age.
    They don't call me frugal for nothing.
    Proud and achy member of the Eventing Grannies clique.

Quote Originally Posted by BigMick View Post
    I just took the plunge and ordered one. I found my Big Yellow Watch to be a complete disappointment. It died on me after only one or two seasons.

If this thing lasts me that long it's already worth it.
    Did it die or did the battery die? Mine has been going strong for over 10 years, but I've had to replace the battery every other year.

Quote Originally Posted by Jazzy Lady View Post
    Did it die or did the battery die? Mine has been going strong for over 10 years, but I've had to replace the battery every other year.
    I replaced the battery numerous times and within seconds it would make this weird screeching noise and go dead again. I posted on the forums about it and quite a few people commented that they had this issue and couldn't get it repaired.

I tossed it in the trash and vowed never again would I spend that much again. I bought it more because it was just so cool than actually needing it. More times than not I'd forget to either stop it or start it anyway!!

I bought one too! Was hoping someone would start a thread about this, but didn't want to wait to order in case they ran out. Hopefully, they'll work well and we'll all have sporty new watches for the season!
    Jonah 4:4: And the Lord said, "Do you do well to be angry?"

With every day that passes, college football season gets that much closer!

Ordered one last year but haven't used it yet... Sunday's the big day, we'll see how it goes!! I've never used a watch on XC before, but will be riding a big-strided horse BN, so it's more to go slow than anything else

I like how the red one has compass markings on it . . . in case you get lost!

Tempting, but I like my BIG, un-missable yellow event watch buttons right on the face.
    Click here before you buy.

I ordered one of these on TOTD too. Then while *gasp* cleaning yesterday I found my big yellow watch which had been missing for over a year!

Oh well, I guess I'll have 2 new for the next time I lose one

Thumbs down

Digging up this thread to give this watch a big thumbs down.

I ordered the Silver and Black one. It is extremely difficult to set, the instructions are awful, and yesterday one of the buttons came off.

I haven't even worn it yet, and it's broken.

I've sent an email to TOTD and I'm really hoping they will offer to give me a credit. I do not want another one of these watches. My $12 watch from Target is better than this one. Ugh!

I used mine for the first time in competition yesterday. I agree that the instructions are pretty vague and I found it hard to tell which mode it was in, but hubby got it all set up for me. It worked fine on course. My gripe is that the readout display for the seconds is really small. it displays like this:
    Hour:Minutes
    Seconds (in smaller numerals)

So it was hard to read at a gallop. And apparently there's no way to get minutes and seconds to display in the larger format.
    Jonah 4:4: And the Lord said, "Do you do well to be angry?"

With every day that passes, college football season gets that much closer!

Finally tried to use mine at Spring Bay. Spent TWO HOURS pouring over the instructions, which were wrong, and was unable to even get it into stopwatch (count "up") mode. Ended up borrowing a regular-size digital watch where the stopwatch function worked normally and it was plenty easy to see.

Had my engineer dad pour over it some more, who agreed the instrux were garbage, and finally figured out that the only way to zero out the stopwatch (we totally gave up on the "count down" mode) was to press the LIGHT button on the upper left. And here I thought that was only to light up the numbers in the dark. LOVELY!

Just bought another big yellow for my daughter....I got it in the UK for a little over fifty dollars. Didn't buy a tempi because of all the bad experiences!
    http://www.watchesgb.com/p/horseriding_watch/
    .I need mine everytime I ride because of lousy sight and don't want to wear glasses, and I use it to time myself. First battery lasted 3 years!

I went ahead and got the silver Optimum Time watch- love it! And worth the extra $$.

I just sent an email to the girls who I used to ride with who have since gone off to college. I'm hoping one of them will need cash and want to sell me their watch.

Anyone ever have any luck with TOTD giving a refund or a credit for defective merchandise?

If you have a problem with the Optimum timer why not contact John Nunn, he imports them and I am sure he can help you...

Quote Originally Posted by wolfmare View Post
    Just bought another big yellow for my daughter....I got it in the UK for a little over fifty dollars. Didn't buy a tempi because of all the bad experiences!
    http://www.watchesgb.com/p/horseriding_watch/
    .I need mine everytime I ride because of lousy sight and don't want to wear glasses, and I use it to time myself. First battery lasted 3 years!
    What was the cost of shipping, if you don't mind my asking?
    Quote Originally Posted by alicen View Post
    We have no intentions of tarring and feathering anyone: this is now a thread about dipping Ryan Reynolds in chocolate.