The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default CATCH RIDE AVAILABLE for demo ride in TX

Hello eventers

One of the people I train for has a buyer interested in her horse that would like to see the horse go over Training jumps. The horse is trained to jump (mainly hunter jumper) and has jumped in the open before but neither the owner nor I are "real" eventers so we are scouting around for someone who can take the horse over some stuff while we tape.

Obviously we are looking for an advanced rider who can get to know a horse and show it off to its advantage, but an amateur would be best because we are trying to sell to the amateur market.

I do not want to say more about the horse as it is obviously for sale and I do not want to turn this into a covert ad.

So if there are any people out there hungry for a catch ride, here is one for you.

We are located just north of Houston, TX.

Please EMAIL me if you are interested, NOT PM, as my inbox is full and I won't get your messages otherwise.

meupatdoes@gmail.com

you can delete PM's that you don't need. It's pretty simple and most of us have had to do it.

Good luck with finding a rider... I'm too far north.

Why can't the prospective buyer take the horse over some xc jumps? Have you told them he hasn't jumped xc yet? Most horses aren't ready for training level their first time out.

Quote Originally Posted by flyracing View Post
    you can delete PM's that you don't need. It's pretty simple and most of us have had to do it.

Good luck with finding a rider... I'm too far north.

Why can't the prospective buyer take the horse over some xc jumps? Have you told them he hasn't jumped xc yet? Most horses aren't ready for training level their first time out.
    I know I can delete PMs I don't need, I just would rather not, and it is easier to forward responses to the horse's owner from my gmail.

The prospective buyer is located in CA and would like to see a video before coming to TX.

ETA:
    The horse HAS jumped cross country.
    Why is everyone assuming it has never seen a cross country jump before??!
    Last edited by meupatdoes; May. 10, 2010 at 02:36 AM.

I'm sure folks with upper level experience will want to chime in here, but my understanding is that betwen BN and Training, the questions aren't all that different - the size of the jumps is a factor. Your buyer will want to see if the horse will go into water, if the horse will jump a ditch, if the horse will leave the group willingly and go out alone, etc. Since you are honestly representing that the horse hasn't gone XC, why would you want to risk injury by taking the horse out the first time at Training level jumps? First time competing - maybe; first time out XC - probably not the best idea.

Quote Originally Posted by JanWeber View Post
    I'm sure folks with upper level experience will want to chime in here, but my understanding is that betwen BN and Training, the questions aren't all that different - the size of the jumps is a factor. Your buyer will want to see if the horse will go into water, if the horse will jump a ditch, if the horse will leave the group willingly and go out alone, etc. Since you are honestly representing that the horse hasn't gone XC, why would you want to risk injury by taking the horse out the first time at Training level jumps? First time competing - maybe; first time out XC - probably not the best idea.
    Where do you get the idea that the horse has never been out cross country before? I am representing no such thing.

The horse has jumped cross country jumps, but the rider we would normally ask to take it over Training size cross country jumps is not available.

Why is this considered a catch ride? To me a catch ride is maybe a someone paying full entry, stall, etc for a show. Are you paying someone to come demo this horse for you?

I think everyone assumes its not a xc horse, because you said it mostly did hunter/jumper and most of us don't want to risk our necks demoing a horse that mostly ran around a contained ring jumping pvc poles over training level trakehner's, ramps and so forth.

Just my 2cents... I think you would get a better response to ask for help and not act like your doing them a favor.

Quote Originally Posted by MattMan View Post
    Why is this considered a catch ride? To me a catch ride is maybe a someone paying full entry, stall, etc for a show. Are you paying someone to come demo this horse for you?

I think everyone assumes its not a xc horse, because you said it mostly did hunter/jumper and most of us don't want to risk our necks demoing a horse that mostly ran around a contained ring jumping pvc poles over training level trakehner's, ramps and so forth.

Just my 2cents... I think you would get a better response to ask for help and not act like your doing them a favor.
    1. If an amateur comes out we will not pay them as we are not cheaters. If a professional wants to come out that is another story.

2. I specifically wrote the horse has jumped in the open before.

3. There are people out there who like riding horses they would not otherwise have access to. I am sure if someone came out and wowed us with their tactful riding and excellent attitude, sending the horse to a show with them as a pilot all expenses paid would be considered.
    The kid who normally rides the horse was sent to Worlds on but she is currently unavailable. The owner has demonstrated through her actions that she is quite willing to send riders who invest a little time and help into a horse all the way to the horseshows. But excuse us for offering such a crap deal...

I have found that asking something like THIS first weeds out the people with attitude problems. The kid who volunteers for the lesser job generally has more wantto than the one who only wants to know "Where's my all expenses paid trip to the next event?"

Well, you say that the "horse is trained to jump...primarily hunter/jumper...has jumped in the open before". There's a world of difference between xc (see my list of xc expectations: go into water, jump ditches, leave the group, etc.) and jumping outside the ring. That's why we're all assuming that the horse hasn't gone cross-country EVEN IF IT HAS JUMPED OUTSIDE A RING - and XC is so much more than jumping... If you are confident of the horse's ability xc, you should probably compete the horse and use the xc score as a selling point, rather than "former H/J horse now wants to be an eventer".

If you are confident of the horse's ability xc, you should probably compete the horse and use the xc score as a selling point, rather than "former H/J horse now wants to be an eventer".
    Wouldn't we love to if we could find a rider who is willing to put a little work in without some huge attitude.

Please take this in the spirit of kindness and helpfulness: nearly every rider, amateur or pro, considers their time of value. Most riders who have the ability to do what you want (showcase the horse with a tactful xc ride) just aren't going to be willing to give up their time to drive out there and do it for free. My kids have gotten on rescues, sale horses, etc. for friends to evaluate their behavior and level of experience before recommending what level of rider the horse would be suitable for. Giving up a morning or afternoon to get on a sale horse for a stranger to take a video because it's an opportunity to ride a different horse - no, not really. Giving a gift certificate to a tack shop amd gas money isn't "cheating". Given what you want and depending on the sale price of the horse, pay a professional. Years ago, I decided that my dressage horse would rather event (actually HE decided) - so I paid Doug Payne to take him to an event, video'd the xc ride, and sold him based on the video to someone who lived on the other side of the country. She flew to NJ from CA, rode him, vetted him, and shipped him based on a video. Don't you WANT someone to show the horse to the best of their ability? A pro rider DOES NOT mean a "pro" ride - it just means someone who knows if the horse is suitable for an amateur or not...

Who cares if the horse has been or not been on XC? The seller, as far as I can see is being honest about the horse. Every one of my eventers were hunters before I got them. I also never have done Novice or below. I have always started at Training. There is no reason a good hunter who knows its job should not be able to tool around a Training level course. Why would one expect the risk of injury to be any different? Yes, water is the only place I would expect there to be questions.

Maybe I still live in the old days where we took our jumpers out on XC anytime we felt like it and there was no difference between an arena and a pasture. Maybe I still like to think there are some good riders who don't have attitudes who are willing to help out and get a chance to play on a different pony just because.

I see no issues with this offer and I am seriously considering driving down from Colorado to help out. Why not? There are LOTS of great amateurs who can tell if a horse is an amateur ride as well. It is not the sole domain of the professional.

Reed

I'm so glad you posted that Reed and ditto. I couldn't figure out what everyone was having such a fit about and thought maybe I had gone senile or something.
    Rhode Islands are red;
    North Hollands are blue.
    Sorry my thoroughbreds
    Stomped on your roo. Originally Posted by pAin't_Misbehavin' :

I'm with RAyers and RTR. I'm just not seeing what the big deal is. If I were in town... I'd help out in a second.
    "A good feeling after the round is better than any ribbon." ~ Bert de NĂ©methy

Contact a local Pony Club and ask for a C3 or up rider. They would probably love to help out.

Giving up a morning or afternoon to get on a sale horse for a stranger to take a video because it's an opportunity to ride a different horse - no, not really.
    Any person who is interested in getting some rides should jump at opportunities like this. These kinds of opportunities allow you to show what you can do and get your name out there. A person who only has one ride for you may suggest you to someone else who has more. They may think of you later when that horse needs some more schooling.

The owner of this horse is a perfect example. The horse's normal rider initially started riding the horse just to help school a green horse over some jumps. She was happy to do it just for the experience, but as she developed the horse, they started going to shows. Eventually the owner sent them to Worlds. Now that is something to put on a catch-ride resume.

I ride a different horse for the same owner. I am happy to put this horse in a full program, the same way I would for my own sale horses. The horse goes 5 or 6 days a week. I basically get full use of a horse, but I have to show up consistently to ride it and I have to get results, not just fart around.

When I tell the owner, "I think this horse can be ready for a local show by x time," she says, "Well, make it happen and let's do it!" If I get good
    results and the horse is ready for rated shows, she will send us. If we qualify for Worlds at those rated shows, she will send us. The potential exposure alone, provided I get the job done, makes it worth it to me.

BUT I HAVE TO PUT THE WORK IN.

First, I have to GET MY FOOT IN THE DOOR, then I have to PUT THE WORK IN. I have to meet the owner in the first place. Then I have to invest time and energy into developing this horse. I have to set goals and realize them. I have to demonstrate results before I get sent off to a $500 horseshow.

A lot of people seem to be waiting around for a catch ride where someone will hand them a completely made, finished horse and say, "Here, please event this."

A horse that may be a little green that they might need to put some work into, they aren't interested in.

Investing the time to ride a horse just to make some more contacts in the industry and leave a positive impression in as many minds as possible they aren't interested in.

And then they wonder why it's so hard to find people who will offer them finished, competition ready horses to ride.

Well, maybe it's because they haven't made the effort to MEET ANYONE (much less help them!), and they haven't been willing to DEVELOP OR FINISH any horses.

I deliberately left off how awesome this owner is from my post and kept the description low key. I find that doing so separates the people with work ethics and wantto from the people who just want, quite literally, a free ride.

While I generally agree with Reed, I think the tizzy is about how the question was asked. The original post can be read two ways--a generous way and a not so generous way.

Many people here are choosing to read the request as follows: "Seeking amateur rider who has poor concept of the value of their own time to pull a hunter horse out of a trailer, point it at a Training Level XC course, and get that captured on film regardless of safety. One-time opportunity only."

Or, more generously:
    "Seeking amateur rider who would enjoy hopping on a well-trained hunter and seeing how it would do on XC. If it looks like a productive partnership, there may be a possibility to event the horse once or twice. Horse is already confirmed over Training Level fence heights, and has been jumped outside of an arena. There will be Novice ditches/banks/water available to test the horse's mettle before attempting the Training questions. If at any point the horse looks like it won't be able to handle Training, we will send the buyer what we managed to get."

If it were me and my problem, I'd be approaching the local Pony Club and/or a local, respected eventing trainer and asking if they had a client available who might enjoy the opportunity. If you really luck out, you'll get a rider AND a trainer who's willing to come out and school the horse + ammy rider.

Quote Originally Posted by jn4jenny View Post
    While I generally agree with Reed, I think the tizzy is about how the question was asked. The original post can be read two ways--a generous way and a not so generous way.

Many people here are choosing to read the request as follows: "Seeking amateur rider who has poor concept of the value of their own time to pull a hunter horse out of a trailer, point it at a Training Level XC course, and get that captured on film regardless of safety. One-time opportunity only."
    Thank you... that's all I saw when I read the post. I wasn't attacking her, but she is flying off the handle with every comment made. I don't even know what the last post has to do with anything, but her.

Or, more generously:
    "Seeking amateur rider who would enjoy hopping on a well-trained hunter and seeing how it would do on XC. If it looks like a productive partnership, there may be a possibility to event the horse once or twice. Horse is already confirmed over Training Level fence heights, and has been jumped outside of an arena. There will be Novice ditches/banks/water available to test the horse's mettle before attempting the Training questions. If at any point the horse looks like it won't be able to handle Training, we will send the buyer what we managed to get."

If it were me and my problem, I'd be approaching the local Pony Club and/or a local, respected eventing trainer and asking if they had a client available who might enjoy the opportunity. If you really luck out, you'll get a rider AND a trainer who's willing to come out and school the horse + ammy rider.
    Indeed.

I ask my questions the way I ask them because I find it helps to separate the wheat from the chaff.

PS I think the Pony Club/local eventing trainer suggestion is a very good one. Thanks!

[QUOTE=jn4jenny;4856784]While I generally agree with Reed, I think the tizzy is about how the question was asked. The original post can be read two ways--a generous way and a not so generous way.

Many people here are choosing to read the request as follows: "Seeking amateur rider who has poor concept of the value of their own time to pull a hunter horse out of a trailer, point it at a Training Level XC course, and get that captured on film regardless of safety. One-time opportunity only."QUOTE]

I must not be a generous type, because I totally read the request in this way. But maybe the phrasing is losing something in the translation from H/J to Eventing...since catch rides are maybe more the norm in that discipline.?
    I also saw it as a one time request for a "favor" or help, but worded like the person was considering it an honor for someone to ride this horse. Maybe so, maybe it's the next Rolex winner...but in light of the Courtney King Dye incident I don't find it unreasonable to ask for more information. Besides, judging by this person's reaction to how some of us obviously didn't see her offer in the light it was intended...well, I'm not sure I would want to take on the liability.

[QUOTE=Lucyjane;4856825]

Many people here are choosing to read the request as follows: "Seeking amateur rider who has poor concept of the value of their own time to pull a hunter horse out of a trailer, point it at a Training Level XC course, and get that captured on film regardless of safety. One-time opportunity only."QUOTE]

I must not be a generous type, because I totally read the request in this way. But maybe the phrasing is losing something in the translation from H/J to Eventing...since catch rides are maybe more the norm in that discipline.?
    I also saw it as a one time request for a "favor" or help, but worded like the person was considering it an honor for someone to ride this horse. Maybe so, maybe it's the next Rolex winner...but in light of the Courtney King Dye incident I don't find it unreasonable to ask for more information. Besides, judging by this person's reaction to how some of us obviously didn't see her offer in the light it was intended...well, I'm not sure I would want to take on the liability.
    This is not an eventing scholarship disguised as a one time catch/demo-ride.

It is a one time catch/demo-ride that may have the POTENTIAL to POSSIBLY turn into more.

In my opinion the people who are willing to happily show up to the "less generous" offer just for the sake of riding a horse and meeting its people are the ones who will have the most wantto, be the least selfish, and be the most likely to turn out to be that motivated, dedicated and committed rider who may be able to make things happen for this horse or just be nice to have in the rolodex when other opportunities arise.

Obviously everyone is a volunteer when you are offering up the "generous" offer, but people reveal their true colors when the offer is a little less sweet. The ones who will show up for the "one time only ride" are ironically the ones that it is worth it to subsequently offer the better opportunities to.