The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default ET Recipient mares for large WB foals - recommendations?

What breed of mares would you recommend for use as recipient mares for carrying large warmblood foals? My mares are all large, 16.3 - 17+ hands, as are the stallions I generally use. Our foals are also large, I currently have 2 yearlings that were measured 15.2 on their first birthdays.

I have been considering buying some Percheron mares for recips, but I have recently been told that draft mares produce too much/too rich milk that might potentially cause problems for the foals.

What is your experience? Has anyone got a particular breed they prefer to use for their recipient mares? What about age limits?
    Tricia Veley-First Flight Farm
    Boerne, Texas
    830-537-4150 phone/830-537-4154 fax
    www.firstflightfarm.com
    FFF Page on Facebook: Become a fan!
    FFF Channel on YouTube: See videos

We use mostly TBs for recips mares. For warmblood mares we have also used Standardbreds, Quarter Horses and random grade horses. Even the shorter, stouter Quarter Horses have worked fine, as they are nice and "wide"!
    Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm."
    --Winston Churchill
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Hills...h/112931293227
    www.HillsideHRanch.com

We don't have recipient mares but I do have big stallion. Even my smaller mares (both are 15.1 but one is a WIDE mare, the other on the petite side) do fine with big foals. My foals typically are 10+ hand and over 100 pounds at birth. I have two TB mares too, one an older style mare(16.2), big and stout and a more refined mare about 15.3 who can foal out huge foals.

My point is I agree with Hillside

My best recipients have been TBs or big bodied App and QH types. I would steer away from drafts.

I have a very large Westfalen mare (17.1 hands) and I always ship her embryos off to Royal Vista Southwest in OK. They have something like 800 mares on pasture, so they always have one that is in sync and big enough for her. We have used a big QH for her, a Belgian mare, a big TB, and a large paint in the past.

I used to keep my own recipient mares and sync them with my donor mares and do the transfers. Our success rate was about 60%. Over the last three years I have been flushing the embryo, sticking it on a plane to Royal Vista, and having them transfer into a recip there. I have had a 100% success rate with them.

Gina

From what I'd read, draught horse milk is less concentrated, because the foal would be drinking more. A WB foal would likely drink less, which means s/he might not get adequate nutrition. I don't think it's so much height you need to be looking at, but rather the body type- a stout mare with wide hips would likely work well for you.
    Horse Show Names Free name website with over 6200 names. Want to add? PM me!

Quote Originally Posted by kookicat View Post
    From what I'd read, draught horse milk is less concentrated, because the foal would be drinking more. A WB foal would likely drink less, which means s/he might not get adequate nutrition. I don't think it's so much height you need to be looking at, but rather the body type- a stout mare with wide hips would likely work well for you.
    And not only they don't get enough nutritient out of a draft mare but they don't move around enough to exercie their foals. They just stand there. The best is a Standarbred, they have nice temperament, not too quiet not to hot and have the rigth body size.
    Suzanne
    bloomingtonfarm.com
    Breeder of Royal Dutch Sport Horse

Quote Originally Posted by bloomingtonfarm View Post
    And not only they don't get enough nutritient out of a draft mare but they don't move around enough to exercie their foals. They just stand there. The best is a Standarbred, they have nice temperament, not too quiet not to hot and have the rigth body size.
    Pedro and Daniel Jou love the S'breds, and I have had one too, she was a super recip mare. But Bloomington Farm, wouldnt you say the best is a Hanno/Clyde/Tbx? ;-)

Seriously folks, yes please go for a S'bred, give those great mares another job.

Kookicat - we were told to avoid Drafts because they product very large amounts of milk and with the warmblood foals - they have a tendency to get epiphicitis. We actually saw this in a very nice colt that friends had and the mare died a few days later - used a big draft mare as a nurse mare and bingo he did have severe epiphicitis. QH seem to have the highest success rate as recipient mares. Colorado State Vet School has very large herds and various options for shipping embryos to them. You can lease or buy the recipient mare.
    Summit Sporthorses Ltd. Inc.
    "Breeding Competition Partners & Lifelong Friends"

I reall appreciate your input! I definitely will avoid the drafts!

Our area (central Texas) is totally saturated with QH, Appaloosa and Paint mares, but not so much S'breds as there is no S'bred racing anywhere near here. There may be some around, I will have to continue to look.
    Tricia Veley-First Flight Farm
    Boerne, Texas
    830-537-4150 phone/830-537-4154 fax
    www.firstflightfarm.com
    FFF Page on Facebook: Become a fan!
    FFF Channel on YouTube: See videos

I would take a look at the QH, App and Paint mares actually. They tend to be a little more stout. Plus, they tend to have nice temperaments, which is something you need to look at too. No good getting a mare that can physically carry your foal if you don't like her personality. The foal will learn a lot from Mama, and personality is part of that learning.

Quote Originally Posted by ise@ssl View Post
    Kookicat - we were told to avoid Drafts because they product very large amounts of milk and with the warmblood foals - they have a tendency to get epiphicitis. We actually saw this in a very nice colt that friends had and the mare died a few days later - used a big draft mare as a nurse mare and bingo he did have severe epiphicitis. QH seem to have the highest success rate as recipient mares. Colorado State Vet School has very large herds and various options for shipping embryos to them. You can lease or buy the recipient mare.
    Thanks! I'm not a breeder, but love learning about it, so little bits of info like this are awesome. Was the colt okay?