The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results
 
Results 1 to 5 of 5
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr. 23, 2009
    Location
    FL
    Posts
    76

    Default Do Breastplate Martingales work the same as Martingales?

    Do breastplates w/standing attachments work just as well as regular martingales? And can you remove the straps that connect to the saddle or no?
    nothing is truer than the truth...



  2. #2
    Join Date
    Apr. 26, 2006
    Location
    Madison, Wisconsin
    Posts
    4,524

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by thebp View Post
    Do breastplates w/standing attachments work just as well as regular martingales? And can you remove the straps that connect to the saddle or no?
    The answer to your first question is yes -- breastplates with standing martingale attachments work the same way as a regular standing martingale. They ALSO help hold a saddle forward on a horse.

    As to your second question I'm not sure I understand it. If you take off the straps that connect to the saddle, a breastplate just turns into an ugly, sloppy, too-big martingale type thing. Why would you remove those straps? That's what makes a breastplate a breastplate.

    Of course, all these answers are with respect to traditional hunter-type breastplates. Not those elastic breast collars that you see in the jumpers and on eventers.
    Quote Originally Posted by tidy rabbit View Post
    Oh, well, clearly you're not thoroughly indoctrinated to COTH yet, because finger pointing and drawing conclusions are the cornerstones of this great online community.



  3. #3
    Join Date
    Apr. 23, 2009
    Location
    FL
    Posts
    76

    Default

    OK Good that is what I was looking to hear. And are breastplate/martingales accepted in the hunter ring?
    nothing is truer than the truth...



  4. #4
    Join Date
    Apr. 26, 2006
    Location
    Madison, Wisconsin
    Posts
    4,524

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by thebp View Post
    OK Good that is what I was looking to hear. And are breastplate/martingales accepted in the hunter ring?
    Martingales are common. Even when they aren't needed, a lot of people use one to "complete the picture."

    Breastplates are definitely out. If you absolutely must have one -- if you've tried a saddle fitter and a non slip pad -- then of course you should wear it. But I haven't seen a breastplate in the hunter ring since about 1995.
    Quote Originally Posted by tidy rabbit View Post
    Oh, well, clearly you're not thoroughly indoctrinated to COTH yet, because finger pointing and drawing conclusions are the cornerstones of this great online community.



  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun. 10, 2009
    Posts
    1,683

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ExJumper View Post
    Martingales are common. Even when they aren't needed, a lot of people use one to "complete the picture."

    Breastplates are definitely out. If you absolutely must have one -- if you've tried a saddle fitter and a non slip pad -- then of course you should wear it. But I haven't seen a breastplate in the hunter ring since about 1995.
    Exactly right. You can use a breastplate in hunters if you absolutely must. But be prepared to be the only hunter in a martingale and get funny looks.

    Breastplates are much more common in Jumpers.



Similar Threads

  1. Standing martingales
    By louisem in forum Hunter/Jumper
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: Dec. 13, 2011, 11:36 PM
  2. Movies and Martingales
    By PonyPeep in forum Racing
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: Oct. 27, 2010, 04:50 PM
  3. Standing martingales
    By Eventer13 in forum Hunting
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: Jan. 1, 2010, 02:58 PM
  4. German Martingales...what do you think?
    By cswoodlandfairy in forum Hunter/Jumper
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: Jan. 30, 2009, 04:34 PM
  5. Running martingales
    By Gestalt in forum Endurance and Trail Riding
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: Jan. 29, 2008, 11:38 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
randomness