The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Ringworm

I pulled my horse out of his stall today to groom him and discovered that just below his withers he has 3 clumped circular spots where the hair is raised. I picked at them for a second and scraped off some scaly icky skin, but since he had some fly bites on him i figured it was just three nasty bug bites. The little patches are circular and raised a little bit around the edges, but had no hair loss to them as of now.

My trainer came in and said he might have rolled in something, then asked me if I had ever seen ringworm on a horse before. I have on humans, but never on a horse. She had me wash the spot with tea tree oil shampoo. Now I am freaking out! Could this be ringworm? Am I going to get it now? How can I treat this?

I am wondering if I should call the vet. He is due for a massage tomorrow and I don't want the guy having to touch my horse if he has ring worm. I am just pretty scared about the whole thing because I am worried this is going to be hard to treat and he may not be able to go out for a while because he might infect the other horses! Even more worrisome is what if I get it? I don't live alone and I would hate to contaminate everyone in my house as well!

Don't panic! While ringworm can be very contagious, it is very easy to treat. Just about any over the counter anti-fungal treatment will work. I like Lotrimin Ultra.

I feel like the queen of ringworm. *sigh*

I thought I had it on my hand,...caught from who knows where ... but it wasn't. So I learned a very important lesson: if it looks like ringworm, you treat it for ringworm, and it doesn't go away (7-10 days)... well, it's NOT ringworm. (I finally had a biopsy done. It was a granuloma annulare—not that anyone but me cares )

Probably the cheapest and easiest route is to go to CVS where they always have sales on yeast infection cream. Buy one, get one free. Bottom line is, either that (usually it's miconazole.) or Lotrimin Ultra—which is expensive ... $20+ a tube.

WEAR GLOVES. You do NOT NOT NOT want this fungus on you. Also, another thing that works is plain old MTG (apparently it's the sulfur) And the price is right at about $13 a bottle.

Oh, and don't forget to clean, disinfect brushes, combs, ANYTHING that touched his/her body. Better yet, throw them away—a good excuse to get brand new ones.
    "For God hates utterly
    The bray of bragging tongues."
    Sophocles, Antigone Spoken by the Leader of the Chorus of Theban Elders

thanks for everyone's replies. I am going back out to the barn tomorrow. I am hoping it was just a weird slew of bug bites as the horse flies here have been particularly bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Oldenburg Mom View Post
    WEAR GLOVES. You do NOT NOT NOT want this fungus on you.

Oh, and don't forget to clean, disinfect brushes, combs, ANYTHING that touched his/her body. Better yet, throw them away—a good excuse to get brand new ones.
    Yes! All this! I was a dumb a$$ and did not wear gloves 2 years ago when treating ringworm on a horse. Wound up with it between my fingers, on my eyelids, and a few 'personal' areas. It has been awful.

These things help, human and horse: straight tea tree oil (use carefully), tinactin cream, and that blue disinfecting liquid the vets give out (forget the name, nolvasan?).

Toss and wash anything that touches his body.

Quote Originally Posted by Watermark Farm View Post
    Wound up with it between my fingers, on my eyelids, and a few 'personal' areas.
    Oh you poor lady. Boy do I feel for you... how awful.

Part of the problem, IMHO, is the name...ringworm! If you say Tinea somehow it doesn't sound so bad.
    "For God hates utterly
    The bray of bragging tongues."
    Sophocles, Antigone Spoken by the Leader of the Chorus of Theban Elders

And in a pinch, before you get to the store, you can apply straight Avon Skin So Soft - the straight oil, no cream. Also works on sweet itch, rain rot, fungus on the face and scratches
    EDDIE WOULD GO

Our barn had a little mini outbreak this winter and what ultimately cleared it up was...toothpaste! (old fashioned white stuff, no fancy gels). Applied in a thick glob and left to dry. Leave it alone, reapply when it cakes off.

More than one person recommended that and it seemed to work. Thankfully, my horse never got it but about three or four did and due to the B.O.s diligence about cleanliness it went no further.
    I love cooking with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food.

Regarding ringworm -- I'm keeping an eye on a couple spots on my mare, but they aren't spreading or changing. Does this mean they are not ringworm?