The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Throwing Studs! Ugh!

Recently I have noticed that my horse is throwing his studs before I get to XC. This weekend we were at a show and after stadium he was missing all of his hind studs! Grrrr! It was a blue stone ring too. Not sure when they came off but it could have been in dressage (I didn't check) or in show jump. I did hear a big CLICK sound as I landed off a big sweedish oxer so maybe that was one coming off. I didn't have enough time to replace them before XC but the footing was good so I didn't worry about it and we went clean. Good boy!

So is there a trick to getting them to stay in? I never had this problem at Novice but at Training they just wont stay in! Maybe that has nothing to do with it but when I moved him up was when I noticed they started coming off. I screwed them in TIGHT TIGHT TIGHT too.

Is there a spray of some kind I can use to help them grip to the threads? Would hairspray work? I don't want to switch to an expensive stud brand if he is just going to lose them. Although maybe I should experiment??

Also, I've had 2 different farriers in the last few months and he lost them equally as bad with both.

Any one else have this problem? Tips please!!!!

Something is wrong with how your holes are drilled and tapped if your losing studs like that. In 16 years I have lost a total of 4 studs and I have horses going up through advanced. Sounds like either your farrier is drilling the holes too large, or they aren't tapping them properly for the studs to stay. I always buy the cheapo studs and they don't just fall out.

same here....in 15+ years....I think I've lost only two. Now losing the SHOE with the studs in it....that's another story. Or dropping them in the grass/stall when putting them in or taking them out....yeah lost a few that way too.

Talk to your farrier...and have your trainer or a knowledgable friend watch you put them in.
    ** The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits. -- Albert Einstein **

ditto on them. I just lost one schooling last week but I am pretty sure I didn't screw it in tight enough...every so often I come back missing one but it is rare and I am certain it is installation error on my part....
    Whatever is wrong, I suppose the increase in speed and jump effort at Training is just enough to tip the balance, but it does sound like a problem with the holes if you are screwing them in tightly to begin with.
    The big man -- no longer an only child

His new little brother

Thank you!

I will talk to my ferrier. I had the same stud loss as I did with my last ferrier too which is odd. He does other peoples horses at the barn and I don't think they have problems.

Anyway, have a new guy now. I will certainly ask him. Its really only in his hind that he's throwing them. If I remember right I may have lost a front one at Waredaca last fall...but just one. But I could be mistaken.

I swear I cranked them in tight as can be! And they were in there GOOD!

For the time being, any ideas to getting them to grip better? What about Loctite? I work for an engineering company and we use that to put on threads to lock them in. Has anyone tried it? Never actually used it or had any experience with it.

I hate to jinx myself, but losing studs is not something that happens with any regularity - I think I've lost ONE in the past twenty years, and that hole was completely stripped (though I'm with BFNE on losing shoes plus the studs...).

My guess is that either your holes might be stripped or your farrier might be tapping them larger than your studs? Might check and see what size tap he is using, and/or confirm that your tap is the correct size. When you go to put them in, I usually clean out the hole, re-tap if necessary, and then start them by hand, finishing off the last few turns with a wrench. You should have your studs screwed sufficiently tightly that the "screw" part of the stud is completely meshed inside the shoe and the base of the bigger part is flush with the shoe's face. I would not ever think of using Loctite on studs - more important to be able to get them out (heck, my issue is usually trying to get them in/out, not having them fall out).

Yup, I certainly re-taped and they looked and felt perfect. Studs screwed in well and were nice and tight and flush with the shoe. Holes are not stripped at all. Just so weird!!!

I'm going to talk with my farrier and show him the studs I'm using. The ones I'm using now I bought in this random kit thing I got at a show in an emergency. Maybe they are just smaller than normal.

Eitherway, I no longer have enough of them to make a full set so its time to buy new ones. I'll be buying the cheapy ones again. We'll see how they work out.

The one time my farrier goofed & drilled the wrong size hole, I compensated by doing a bare minimum of cleaning the hole before I put the studs in. I left a lot of grit, and didn't tap or lube the hole. Seemed to work, all but one of the studs stayed put!

You could have a wrong size hole, or, if you've been using the same studs for a while, the threads on the stud itself could be worn down. Try putting a brand new stud in.

Quote Originally Posted by ThunderstruckEV View Post
    I swear I cranked them in tight as can be! And they were in there GOOD!
    Please be careful with this. If you watch closely as you tighten the studs, you'll see that if you keep tightening past a certain point (and it won't require herculean effort to do so), you can actually start pushing the end of the stud quite hard against the horse's sole and begin to push the shoe away from the foot. This is particularly likely as the shoes become more worn - if I have to, I put a washer or two between the stud hole and the stud to get the stud in tightly but ensure I don't bruise the sole.

I know this wasn't what you asked, but I did want to mention that screwing it in super tightly isn't always what you want.
    Last edited by Caroline Weber; May. 10, 2010 at 04:10 PM. Reason: typo
    http://s21.photobucket.com/albums/b2...ncer/?start=20

Mares are like neutrons. If there are too many in an area, you approach critical mass. And then there are explosions. Loud ones.

Agree with Caroline; it is possible to screw them in TOO far and begin to push the shoe away from the hoof

Also was thinking about this again; you are losing studs before even going xc? This is a definite warning sign. I don't think I've ever lost studs except on xc and even then very rarely. I have some old studs in my kit too.
    The big man -- no longer an only child

His new little brother

High in the mountains of Southwest Virginia

Just to play Devil's Advocate, it could just be your horse.

With the exception of one horse, none of my horses have ever lost a stud while competing in any phase. That one horse, however, lost studs with regularity no matter which phase or level. One time we left out of the start box with eight studs and crossed the finish line with three. Nothing I did made any difference and it wasn't a matter of the holes being drilled or tapped incorrectly. It was just him.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    If the Number 2 pencil is so popular, why is it still number 2?

Quote Originally Posted by Caroline Weber View Post
    Please be careful with this. If you watch closely as you tighten the studs, you'll see that if you keep tightening past a certain point (and it won't require herculean effort to do so), you can actually start pushing the end of the stud quite hard against the horse's sole and begin to push the shoe away from the foot. This is particularly likely as the shoes become more worn - if I have to, I put a washer or two between the stud hole and the stud to get the stud in tightly but ensure I don't bruise the sole.

I know this wasn't what you asked, but I did want to mention that screwing it in super tightly isn't always what you want.
    my first thought when reading the title was that you were probably putting the stud in too tight. If the thread part of the stud is bigger than the shoe, then when the horse steps down the shoe (larger weight bearing area) comes into contact with the hoof as it should and the stud is popped. This will happen really fast on hard ground (like the first two minutes of trotting)

To test, take the stud and put it against the outside of the shoe, if the threads are taller than the shoe then that is your problem for sure!

I have had several studs that are taller than the shoe, I've never used washers and I've never lost a stud in the several years I've used them. I just don't put the stud in as far... if you see the shoe start to lift, go back two turns. Don't re-tap evertime you go out unless you absolutely can't get the stud in. You should be using a wrench by the second or third turn (or the stud may unscrew itself).

Good luck!