The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Canon HD Camcorder Recommendations

Hi! In my first post on the COTH forums, I am asking for some HD video advice .

I want an HD camcorder for a relative to video my riding (dressage), and after doing a bunch of reading, I have narrowed it down to the Canon Vixia line, but not sure which model.

The HF21 model is a very good deal right now, has the 15x zoom and 64GB flash memory, but does not have a viewfinder. One of my concerns is, in one review, this camera was said to have "slight ghosting" on fast moving objects.

Then we have the new Canon flagship model, the HF S21...much more expensive, and since it is brand new, I don't think a great sale is just around the corner . The HF S21 has only a 10x zoom, but does have a viewfinder, along with all the bells and whistles, some of which will be useful, but others not so much.

Does anyone here have thoughts/experiences with the Canon Vixia line? Is a viewfinder, rather than the LCD screen, easier to use in full sun? Has anyone experienced "ghosting" in fast moving objects with HD cameras?

I would like to buy the cheaper model (who doesn't like to save some money ), but I want a good camcorder, and am willing to spend the money if that's what it takes.

Thank you!!!

I have no experience with the cannon line of camcorders, however I just got a Flip Digital HD. I am very impressed with the quality of the videos.

Budget was a big considerations of mine. I am only planning on using it to video me riding so I can learn from it. It is simple with very limited options. I have used in on a sunny day and a very cloudy day and it was great.

If you want bells and whistles it is not for you, but if you want decent videos it works great.

Let me know if you want some links to see the quality.

Quote Originally Posted by sheltona01 View Post
    Let me know if you want some links to see the quality.
    Thank you for the response, and I would love to see some video from the HD Flip!!

Thanks again .

I will post links when I get home. Facebook is not very friendly at work.

The first video is taken on a normal Midwest spring day.

The second session of videos are on a very cloudy and windy day. I was having problems hearing the instructor myself and you can hear the wind on the audio.

I have not taken video with this version of Flip inside yet. However I have used my friends Flip inside and it worked pretty good.

It really depends on what you want to use it for. The software is really easy to use and I just wanted something so I can watch myself ride. The only bad thing is I can analyze myself frame by frame. Not so good on the ego.

This is what I bought.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Flip-Ultra...ssory/13072669

Hell, I just use a Canon SX120IS digital photo camera. 10X zoom, great pix, adequate video. Cheap, good service (just had one fixed free). I've got two of them and will buy more when they break. And they fit in your pocket.

One thing I do like about the flip camcorder is that the files are more in a compressed format. I use to use my digital camera, but the files were really big.

Nothing fancy and it also fits in your pocket. The lady that was video taping thought it was a camera.

http://www.facebook.com/video/video....v=748071826070

http://www.facebook.com/video/video....v=749052500790

I don't have experience with the Canon line but purchased a Sony SR-47 Handicam for recording lessons and rounds at horse shows. Love the hard drive recording but would definitely go with a viewfinder on the next one. Very difficult to follow the rider in the sunshine using the screen.
    1. Bozone (n.): The substance surrounding stupid people that stops bright ideas from penetrating. The bozone layer, unfortunately, shows little sign of breaking down in the near future.

Quote Originally Posted by sheltona01 View Post
    The only bad thing is I can analyze myself frame by frame. Not so good on the ego.
    I want to analyze my position, too, but am already scared by what I am going to see LOL!!! Thank you very much for the video samples!!!

Everyone...Thank you for the info!!!