The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Stall Mats in Wash Stall - will it drain?

I've seen this done in pictures, but have never used a wash stall with mats. I don't want to spend the money and then find out it won't drain. If I cut a hole in the center for the drain, will it drain? Anyone with experience, good or bad?
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

Ours does just fine (the bit of running out the front that occurs in ours is due to poor design-it is completely level instead of sloped toward the back) it does drain pretty well, and even better with the mats added. Here is a pic of it in action.

It is designed to drain down the hole in the center and also out the back (the boards in back are about 1/2" or so above the concrete and the mat stops about 2" from them)

They aren't stall mats, but those work well too-we had some leftover rolls of rubber runners that the BO got when he retired from his mill job. They are a bit softer anti-fatigue and no slip. Plus they're easier to cut lol. I was worried they'd be slippery when wet but I think because they are softer and designed as no-slip the horses hooves seem to sink in or grab a bit better. No problems with them tearing or what have you either.
    Michael: Seems the people who burned me want me for a job.
    Sam: A job? Does it pay?
    Michael: Nah, it's more of a "we'll kill you if you don't do it" type of thing.
    Sam: Oh. I've never liked those.

Quote Originally Posted by LauraKY View Post
    IIf I cut a hole in the center for the drain, will it drain? Anyone with experience, good or bad?
    I have mats in my wash stall with a hole cut around the drain. Works great. I would however suggest a big drain--mines about a foot square. The grate covering it is very heavy metal so the horses can stand on it and I can lift up and clean it out.

I'm stuck with the drain I have, not a big one. I didn't build the barn, if I had, a lot of things would be quite different.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

I also have mats with a hole for the drain, works great.

Quote Originally Posted by LauraKY View Post
    I'm stuck with the drain I have, not a big one. I didn't build the barn, if I had, a lot of things would be quite different.
    Story of the average horse person's life!

Don't worry about the small drain. I boarded at a barn with a TINY one (think 4-6'', like the ones you find in public restrooms) and it worked out fine, you just had to keep an eye on it and make sure it didn't get covered up with hair/hay/manure/etc.
    Well isn't this dandy?

Henrico, NC 36 30'50.49" N 77 50'17.47" W

Our drain is over to one side. We leave a 2 inch gap between the 4 stall mats, and it drains fine.

We have mats in our wash rack after one of the older horses slipped and fell last summer.

Everyone love them but they do have to be flipped and scrubbed about every 3-4 weeks.

Our barn has stall mats in the wash stall, and a large drain. The BO cut out a square the size of the drain cover and drilled holes in it.(1") and that goes over the drain. Drains well, there isn't a big 'drain monster' threatening to eat the horses and the smaller piece can be easily lifted to clean the drain

My answer won't be applicable to most...because my wash rack is outside (just outside) the barn. But...I framed the entire base area with salt treated frame boards and packed bluestone...(this area is on a very slight but constant slant) and then covered same with interlocking mats edge to edge. at the low side of the slant, I had a 12 inch deep 12 ft x 12 ft 'pit' that we put large gravel into, and decked over for the 'drain'..... 12 ft small deck along side fenced washrack area just outside double barn doors. I love it!
    ayrabz
    "Indecision may or may not be my problem"
    --Jimmy Buffett

are these regular stall mats in the bath stalls or what? i have never seen mats in a bath stall and imagine that wet rubber would be slippery.

Quote Originally Posted by FraggleRock View Post
    are these regular stall mats in the bath stalls or what? i have never seen mats in a bath stall and imagine that wet rubber would be slippery.
    Mine are the same mats as my stalls and I've never slipped, never had a horse slip. Even wet and soapy, no problem. The mats kind of squish which creates some extra traction, IMO. I do have some other, not horse/farm rubber mats, that do get slippery when wet. They are a very different feel, were originally for a play area (not horse/farm), and I just use them in an aisle where they are never wet.
    I've also found that mats will get slick if you let dirt and muck build up on them, as seems to occur at every boarding barn I've ever been at. Not a problem in my home wash rack since it is just me using, so it stays clean!
    Last edited by horsepoor; Nov. 14, 2013 at 12:38 PM. Reason: Correcting autokorrekt!