The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Tips to help with EQ

What are some good tips you guys have to help with good eq? I'm going to start competing in the 15-17eq and medals, and I would really like to do well. I have pretty good EQ, but I do tend to sometimes jump ahead a little(especially over biggish fences-3'3-3'6) and my leg slips back some too. Not terribly, but I still really hate it. Any suggestions? Thanks guys!

George Morris' book Hunt Seat Equitation. Ann Jane White Mullin's book Winning (IIRC she was one of the riders pictured in GMs book).

That is the standard and the things judges are looking for, therefore what you should practice.

Also take a look at the USEF rules website for a list of tests you may be asked for in your medal classes...and I believe they are also in AJWMs book. Prepare for all of them.

Big EQ is all in the details and finessing it.
    When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

findeight, as usual, has excellent advice. I never did Big Eq but I did have to start doing eq for IHSA. First step is figuring out what your biggest faults are, or ask your trainer for 3 position things she'd like you to improve on. Then when you're riding on your own, run through those 3 things on a regular basis-say the same corner of the ring, ask yourself "are my thumbs up? am I sitting up? could I get my heels lower?" And of course, drop your stirrups.
    "Things turn out best for the people who make the best of the way things turn out." ~John Wooden

Phoenix Animal Rescue

I can't help with the jumping ahead business (I am a first class offender ).

Re: the leg thing. incorporate a lot of variety in your riding routine! Every time you ride you should be practicing lots of different exercises- vertical far, double posting, sitting trot, lots of 2 point, posting the canter, leg yielding, turns on the forehand and haunches, spiraling circles, multiple simple changes down the center line, switching between half seat/full seat/2 point at the canter, etc.. There's never a reason to not do at least 1 or 2 of those during a ride.

A slipping leg is a sign of your balance being off (if you were totally balanced over your leg, it wouldn't be moving), so it's balance exercises that will fix it.

Practice makes perfect!

And in terms of actually being in the show ring... this is a little silly, but you have to ride like you want to win. Walk in like you own the place and ride like you truly believe you deserve a blue ribbon. This is ESPECIALLY true on the flat. I can say this with relative authority since I was undefeated on the flat through an entire season of IHSA, and later went on to get good ribbons at several Tournaments of Champions and IHSA Nationals.

the Big Eq is definitely about having the basics down and polishing it all up. One thing that helped me tremendously is videotaping yourself. To this day, some 20+ years after I did the Medal/Maclay, I can still see myself in my minds eye when I'm riding. It just helps you visualize what you are doing and how to improve it. Someone can tell you until the cows come home that you're jumping ahead, but until you actually see what you're doing, sometimes it doesn't click.

Quote Originally Posted by Mayaty02 View Post
    the Big Eq is definitely about having the basics down and polishing it all up. One thing that helped me tremendously is videotaping yourself. To this day, some 20+ years after I did the Medal/Maclay, I can still see myself in my minds eye when I'm riding. It just helps you visualize what you are doing and how to improve it. Someone can tell you until the cows come home that you're jumping ahead, but until you actually see what you're doing, sometimes it doesn't click.
    My mom videos my riding alllll the time. Thats how I decide what I'm happy with and what I want to work on. Both my jumping ahead and my leg slipping are very minor, but I'm a perfectionist when it comes to my riding.

Quote Originally Posted by Lazy Palomino Hunter View Post
    I can't help with the jumping ahead business (I am a first class offender ).

Re: the leg thing. incorporate a lot of variety in your riding routine! Every time you ride you should be practicing lots of different exercises- vertical far, double posting, sitting trot, lots of 2 point, posting the canter, leg yielding, turns on the forehand and haunches, spiraling circles, multiple simple changes down the center line, switching between half seat/full seat/2 point at the canter, etc.. There's never a reason to not do at least 1 or 2 of those during a ride.

A slipping leg is a sign of your balance being off (if you were totally balanced over your leg, it wouldn't be moving), so it's balance exercises that will fix it.

Practice makes perfect!

And in terms of actually being in the show ring... this is a little silly, but you have to ride like you want to win. Walk in like you own the place and ride like you truly believe you deserve a blue ribbon. This is ESPECIALLY true on the flat. I can say this with relative authority since I was undefeated on the flat through an entire season of IHSA, and later went on to get good ribbons at several Tournaments of Champions and IHSA Nationals.
    Thanks! I will definitely do some of those! I think one of my problems with my leg is that I'm really bad about not sinking down into it because yesterday I was riding a pony whose movement isn't as big as my horse's(duh...) and my leg didn't move at all. Plus, when I think about sinking into my leg it doesn't move. Guess I'll just have to ingrain that into my head. Definitely gonna try those exercises though.

The best thing I ever did was to remove my stirrups from my saddle and have my trainer hide them (which she did happily hahaha). I rode the entire fall/winter before my last junior year with no irons (lessons, hacking, everything) and boy did it pay off. I stopped jumping ahead of my horse pretty quickly and my leg was rock solid....and the judges seemed to notice, too

Quote Originally Posted by theinstigator View Post
    The best thing I ever did was to remove my stirrups from my saddle and have my trainer hide them (which she did happily hahaha). I rode the entire fall/winter before my last junior year with no irons (lessons, hacking, everything) and boy did it pay off. I stopped jumping ahead of my horse pretty quickly and my leg was rock solid....and the judges seemed to notice, too
    I actually just started a month without stirrups.

try jumping without stirrups for jumping ahead, then u cant pull urself infront of your horse unless you use a lot of muscle (and it will be painful!!)