The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

I think he's fabulous. Fantastic bloodlines, bay, high whites, the bald face and blue eyes? He's my kind of horse and one I pray it kept intact.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Centaurian View Post
    As far as I am concerned, leadline is a legitimate reason to have children.

Quote Originally Posted by Kerole View Post
    I personally do not like blue eyes. Mostly it's the pink skin around them
    What about the blue eyes without white hair/pink skin around them?

Quote Originally Posted by ise@ssl View Post
    We have a pony by the GRP Makuba out of a Welsh A mare by Sleight of Hand. He's black bay with stockings behind and socks in front and a blaze that DOES NOT tough his eyes and crystal blue eyes. We've had mixed feed back from Hunter people. But the bottom line is that he has correct conformation, super mover and outstanding little jumper. So who gives a rat's behind if his eyes are blue. I would never turn down a good horse or pony over eye color.
    I was present when this pony was inspected. It was quite the moment! McKinley entered the ring.. the audience gasped in astonisment...he in turn lifted his posture..played the ham and showed them all he was more than a pretty face as he floated around the triangle!!

He was an instant crowd favorite!!
    You can't help yourself...I still admire him everytime I see him. I can't imagine that his "eyes" have been an issue as his jumping talent is also stellar.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ISR McKinley trot 3 Crop copy.jpg 
Views:	116 
Size:	50.1 KB 
ID:	29249  
    Tradition of "Grande" Sporthorse Champions
    GRANDE SOVEREIGN 2014 USEF 8th Leading HB Sire
    & Sire of OWN IT - USEF National HB 3yo Champion

Grand Affiar, Grande Desire, GR Impression, Couture du Jour

I think it all boils down to prejudice. But I still say that a "good" judge no matter what the discipline, should not be biased in any way. And white uneven or otherwise shouldn't matter anyway. I was told once that to be a good judge a judge must paint every horse the same color in his head and only evaluate ability and conformation depending on class. Apparently some judges don't have this ability and have continued the color prejudice due to their flaws not the horses. Such a shame that those people who enjoy flashy horses that can also compete with their conservative counterparts have to deal with judges that maybe shouldn't be judges.

Quote Originally Posted by ljshorses View Post
    Apparently some judges don't have this ability and have continued the color prejudice due to their flaws not the horses. Such a shame that those people who enjoy flashy horses that can also compete with their conservative counterparts have to deal with judges that maybe shouldn't be judges.
    Sadly, it's a big fat Amen coming on that

Default Interesting thread

I'm a color fanatic and love the Splash Whites.

LJSH - LOVE LOVE LOVE your splash filly! She does, indeed, have "perfect markings" in that the whites are all matched and proportioned.

JB - LOVE that photo of the black Morgan with thin stripe and blue eyes you posted

T- LOVE those Splash Welsh ponies who look "solid" except they have blue eyes and just a touch of chrome. Here's some eye candy if you like Splash White Welsh Ponies: http://www.thepromisewelsh.com/stallions.htm

Minimal Splash is very hard to detect and it tends to surprise people when a blue-eyed, chromed-out baby comes out of two "normally-marked" parents.

This is my favorite example, Morgan of course
    this mare:
    http://morgancolors.com/shahayleeleftspotsmall.jpg

From these parents:
    http://morgancolors.com/shahaylee2da...ophecyface.jpg
    http://morgancolors.com/marvelousintrigue.jpg

Personally, I love a perfect blaze and four tall matched stockings to the knees/hocks My sisters' mare has this pattern (she's splash/sabino) and I do have to say that she does tend to get sunburned, sometimes, between her nostrils. So there IS something to the fact that pink skin may be sensitive.
    http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/k...s/DSC01506.jpg
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Equine & Pet Portrait Artist
    www.elainehickman.com
    **Morgans Do It All**

Fancy - how about this guy
    http://www.memcmorgans.com/memcfoals...-032307_01.jpg

out of this mare (who is more obvious than the parents you posted, but still...)
    http://www.memcmorgans.com/mares/WBH...-040307_01.jpg

and by this stallion
    http://www.memcmorgans.com/Caesar/ME...-082909_02.jpg

Good thing you are not near me because you may have to post on the missing horse forum
    *^*^*^
    Himmlische Traumpferde
    "Wenn Du denkst es geht nicht mehr, kommt von irgendwo ein kleines Licht daher"

Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    Fancy - how about this guy
    http://www.memcmorgans.com/memcfoals...-032307_01.jpg

out of this mare (who is more obvious than the parents you posted, but still...)
    http://www.memcmorgans.com/mares/WBH...-040307_01.jpg

and by this stallion
    http://www.memcmorgans.com/Caesar/ME...-082909_02.jpg
    Yep - except that Jennifer was EXPECTING to get a chromed-out SPLASH from this cross, as she knew Caasar and the dam are splash (plus sabino too probably)

Super cool! I love the MEMC Morgans
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Equine & Pet Portrait Artist
    www.elainehickman.com
    **Morgans Do It All**

Blue eyes without pigment around them and too much white was considered a breeding fault for centuries, because so many horses spent all their time outside and working hard under the sun, wind and dust.
    If that sun, wind and dust were considerable, as in the SW of the USA, you could tell the poor horses with little pigment and much white and blue eyes fared considerably worse than the ones with minimal or no white.

Several wannabe paint breeders found that out to their horses suffering, when they came to the SW and tried to breed those horses with so much white in the face.
    One local one only bred tobianos with at most a small blaze in the face.
    Another had some overos and he finally had to quit breeding them.
    Both used their horses showing them and working cattle, so the horses were not hot hose flowers, were exposed to the elements and that is where these problems made a difference in the discomfort those horses had.

Now, where the weather is not so extreme and especially today, where you can tatoo around eyes and use sunscreen and sun sheets and masks for horses, or keep them in out of the sun, they don't have to work out there all day long, I would see why that is not a concern any more.

JB - I don't mind the blue eyes with black rims so much. So I guess I must be predjudiced against pink eye skin rather than blue eyes! Funnily enough, I still really like the OPs foal. I think it's the novelty factor plus it looks to be a lovely type. If it had a paint parent I would be way less impressed.

Thank you everyone for the replies!!! it really gave me a look in to what we will be dealing with in the future, and if we want to even try going on the line or not. once again thanks alot!!
    WWW.Willoughbystables.com

~Hand It Over ~ Rendition ~ Lyrik HF~ Iliaque ~ Munchkin ~ About Face ~ Coconut Creek ~ Callatos ~Cromwell ~ Ellis ~ Goodman ~ Zeven ~ Bastian ~ Nadia ~ Babette ~

Go on the line!!!

Don't be put off by old fashioned attitudes... change only happens when oddities become the usual. Look at me and my pinto warmblood all those years ago. He was definitely considered an oddity but now the warmblood classes are full of horses of every colour.

Get out there and enjoy showing what your beautiful youngster can do!

Go on the line!!!

Don't be put off by old fashioned attitudes... change only happens when oddities become the usual. Look at me and my pinto warmblood all those years ago. He was definitely considered an oddity but now the warmblood classes are full of horses of every colour.

Definitely agree. A good horse is a good color and to *ell with the "old boys club". The more people get out there and prove you can have a good horse even if it's not conservatively marked the better. Have fun, that's the important thing and if that colt makes you smile then that's what it's all about.

agree thrice!

If everyone stays off the line/out of the Hunter ring because of color/pattern, then color/pattern will never become accepted

Hey go for it, it's only money! I still believe blue eyes are a defect in pigmentation etc. and not something I would show on the line. However, I have championed diversity myself and I would be remiss not to support your efforts. I wish you the best!
    ~ Bill Rube ~
    http://www.bydesignfarm.com
    Check us out on Facebook

Go on the line!!!

This^. Go for it, and let us know how it goes. Plus you get the added benefit of giving your young horse show experience.

Quote Originally Posted by SilverBalls View Post
    I still believe blue eyes are a defect in pigmentation
    define "defect"

Why don't you consider pink skin/white hair a defect in pigmentation?