The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Question Blue eyes and White faces in Warmbloods

What are the chances of getting blue eyes out of two well breed warmblood horses?? has any one else had this or know anything about it??
    WWW.Willoughbystables.com

~Hand It Over ~ Rendition ~ Lyrik HF~ Iliaque ~ Munchkin ~ About Face ~ Coconut Creek ~ Callatos ~Cromwell ~ Ellis ~ Goodman ~ Zeven ~ Bastian ~ Nadia ~ Babette ~

it's not the edge of the earth, but you can see it from here

Pretty good if one or both of them carry splash.

Or if there are blue eyes in the pedigree.

Without having researched it at all, I tend to think it pops up the most in the Dutch. But I might be wrong there.

ANY horse though, with splash can have blue eyes. And lots of tall whites and wide blazes aren't sabino as previously thought, but splash. Or a combo.
    InnisFailte Pinto Sporthorses & Coloured Cobs
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bits are like cats, what's one more? (Petstorejunkie)

he is out of an E line Hanoverian by an A line Holstiner. he has a bald face and 4 tall with socks. i am just trying to find out if he is going to be rejected on the line and for a breeding association.

~Hand It Over ~ Rendition ~ Lyrik HF~ Iliaque ~ Munchkin ~ About Face ~ Coconut Creek ~ Callatos ~Cromwell ~ Ellis ~ Goodman ~ Zeven ~ Bastian ~ Nadia ~ Babette ~

I know at least the Dutch & RPSI have no problem with it! Can't speak to other registries...

On the line--hunters or DSHB? DSHB won't have an issue with it at all.

http://www.facebook.com/HandItOver11...d=422775170308

He is breed to be a hunter, and from the looks of it he will be a very pretty one!!!

Do you have a pedigree for him?

ETA: This is him correct? http://www.allbreedpedigree.com/about+face4
    Check out my Equine Genetics Blog! Updated April 25th with Splashed White!!!
    http://equinegenetics.blogspot.com/

What a cutie.

I dunno about A Circuit... some will argue there is predjudice... some say there isn't. <shrugs> One of the reasons I do dressage.

RMT, looking for your take on him... I see jagged top stockings = sabino, but that face & the whites look splash to me??

riddlemethis that is him yes.

The great Hanoverian mare Weihaiwej, individual and team gold medals at the 2004 World Equestrian Games in showjumping.
    http://www.saltacaballos.com.ar/imag.../weihaiwej.jpg
    http://www.sanpatrignano.org/pics/fo.../Weihaiwej.jpg
    ----//\\----
    ---//--\\---
    --//----\\--
    -//------\\-

I show my Paint horse with blue eyes in the a/a hunters on the A circuit and don't feel like there is prejudice. We usually place well if we have a good round and not well if we don't...

Also, feel free to PM me if this is too off topic, but I am quite interested in Acorino. Why did you choose him? What did you expect him to improve on your mare, and what do you think of the outcome? Thanks!

Oh that foal is SO Splash! I LOVE HIM!! Love love love!

If that is his pedigree, then his sire, Acorino, is a minimal Splash - he has the horizontal movement is his low white socks. That in and of itself is actually very common - start looking at horses' socks and you'll see a lot of them with a horizontal nature, especially when they are low like Acorino's are.

The dam is Splash as well, and also Sabino. The foal is likely homozygous Splash now, having gotten one each from mom and dad.

This is super interesting, as I can't say I've seen Splash like this outside of the Dutch and especially the Ijsselmeer line.

Quote Originally Posted by pintopiaffe View Post

I dunno about A Circuit... some will argue there is predjudice... some say there isn't. <shrugs> One of the reasons I do dressage.
    I think there is a lot more prejudice in that arena based on the trainer as opposed to the color of the horse

RMT, looking for your take on him... I see jagged top stockings = sabino, but that face & the whites look splash to me??
    When Sabino is also there, it can make the tops of the stockings look more Sabino than Splash. I think the key here is that it is highly, highly unlikely that Sabino would have pulled the socks up that high all on its own. IMVHO, Splash did the height, and Sabino modified the look of the stockings.

Quote Originally Posted by Mickey the Marcher View Post
    The great Hanoverian mare Weihaiwej, individual and team gold medals at the 2004 World Equestrian Games in showjumping.
    http://www.saltacaballos.com.ar/imag.../weihaiwej.jpg
    http://www.sanpatrignano.org/pics/fo.../Weihaiwej.jpg
    OH, thanks! I totally forgot about her!

What a cool colt! There was just thread in hunter jumper about showing ponies with blue eyes in hunter breeding. The opinions were mixed. If I were you, I would go for it. There is no rule stating that you can't. It is just going to be the opinion of the judge. As others have said, they won't care in DSHB.
    Last edited by kealea31; May. 10, 2010 at 01:00 PM.

No advice just could not resist saying I absolutely adore the series or shots when he is running back to momma!!!

My take on him is the same as JBs though I am not as convinced the baby is homozygous for splash. Hes at that in between stage where he could be or might not be
    Check out my Equine Genetics Blog! Updated April 25th with Splashed White!!!
    http://equinegenetics.blogspot.com/

Yep, it's up in the air as to homozygous, but the reason I think he is is because he's black-based, and think he'd be even louder (ie white all up in his belly) if he was red-based.

What a cool colt! There was just thread in hunter humper
    Tee hee hee Is that a Freudian slip or a slip of the fingers???
    Tranquility Farm - Proud breeder of Born in the USA Sport Horses, and Cob-sized Warmbloods
    Now apparently completely invisible!

I'm absolutely in love with this filly at the farm I work at...

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-..._1244839_n.jpg

She's just a few days old here, need to get some new/updated shots of her, but she's Dutch bred (over 50% Gelder) and looks to have splash and sabino. Just look at her white tipped tail! While I think she's going to go to the dressage ring someday, she's got such a super quiet temperment I could see her doing hunters if someone wanted to (based on my opinion of a not even a month old baby, lol) So I hope they don't discriminate.

So since she's bay (black based), do you think she'd have even more white if she was chestnut? It does look like both of her parents may express the splash gene (and definately both on the sabiono gene front).

If i had the money she'd come home with me in a second.
    ---------------------------

~Once you have ridden the tiger it is impossible to dismount~

Quote Originally Posted by HandItOver114 View Post
    http://www.facebook.com/HandItOver114#!/photo.php?pid=5927805&id=502300308&fbid=4227751703 08

He is breed to be a hunter, and from the looks of it he will be a very pretty one!!!
    Any chance a couple of these pics could be put on a non-FB page for those who don't have FB?

sorry that took so long. here is the photo again.

http://thumb10.webshots.net/t/83/83/...0YSYCQo_th.jpg