The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default A tale of 2 hunter princesses schooling cross country for the first time...with pics!

So ... I have decided that my 7 year old ottb and I are going to play at being eventers this year. He's gone from racehorse:
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7...wyatt/roy4.jpg

to hunter:
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7...t/SNC00073.jpg

to jumper:
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7.../9-20-09-1.jpg

So Becca and I decided that NOW we're going to try out this whole eventing thing. My goal is a BN something or other by late summer/early fall. Our horses were ROCKSTARS!
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7...yatt/coth1.jpg
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7...yatt/coth3.jpg
    I've had Tiki since August 24 of '08. Got him straight off the track. Becca's only had Captain for a couple of months, and has been rehabbing him from a pretty bad situation. We were supposed to have an experienced friend go with us, but sadly, that friend couldn't go. So, it was just US, with no direction, lol. We tacked up, and headed out to the field to hack. We jumped some suspended log jumps, and our horses were GREAT!
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7...yatt/coth4.jpg
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7...yatt/coth5.jpg

Moved on to a ditch. Never done that before. Walked up ... nothing. Walked up again, spur, WEEE! There are no pics of this little piece, because we were totally focused on just staying ON.

Now, the bank. As I'm walking up to it, I ask Becca how in the heck we should approach this thing, and Tiki walks right on up! Lol, I guess THAT'S how you do it. Captain skirted around the side a few times, but then figured out what was wanted. Then we finally cantered in, and the ponies were amazing.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7...yatt/coth8.jpg
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7...yatt/coth9.jpg
    Then the hard part ... the down. Walked to the edge, he stopped, and I looked at Becca and said, "I'm sort of scared". She shrugged, laughed, and I tried again. Off he went! It was like a rinse and repeat with Captain. We went off one more time, and they were perfect; again, no pics of this endeavor because we were preoccupied with staying on.

Tiki and I did a few by ourselves because Becca was riding with a sprained ankle and didn't want to push too hard. Jumped a scary tabletop looking jump, and very scary train/barrel jump, and a funky, spooky log.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7...att/coth14.jpg
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7...yatt/coth7.jpg
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7...att/coth11.jpg

Finished up with a little splash around in the water complex.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7...att/coth15.jpg
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7...att/coth16.jpg
    Both boys went in after a bit of a hesitation. Managed to play and paw, came out, went back in to play around, then trotted through a few times. Ended there, the end of a GREAT day! Neither of our horses stopped, we both stayed on, and it was an all around awesome and amazing day.

We were at the beautiful and amazing Calimar Farm, and can't wait to go back. The Starmans are so gracious, and their farm is so fantastic. Critiques are welcome on ME (on the chestnut), but please not on the black horse.

Looks like you guys had fun! Sorry I'm in no position to critique But you look great to me

I'll never forget sitting ringside watching my then 6 and 8 yo daughters have a WTC lesson at a local hunter jumper barn.

My mom was there with me and asked when they'd start taking the girls outside to ride and then out of the arena walls like my trainer did with me when I was their age (yes, my mom was a Pony Club mom.)

When I explained that the hunter jumpers don't ride outside the arena and surely don't Jump outside the arena, she looked at me, eyes wide and said loudly (remember she knows next to nothing about horses, she just brought the snacks when it was her turn):

"what do you mean they only ride in the arena? ... that's not riding!!"

:-)

you ladies Know how to ride ... we welcome you to the The Dark Side ...

Fantastic pictures!! I love that facility, wherever it is! Your position looks awesome to me, very solid and it looks like your horse and yourself are a very good match. Love it!

Great pictures! Thanks for sharing. Would have loved to be there too!

That is the bluest water I've ever seen in a water complex! Do they dye it or something

You guys look great and your horse looks very game, just don't get too far up his neck and BN will be a piece of cake for you!

Quote Originally Posted by Meredith Clark View Post
    That is the bluest water I've ever seen in a water complex! Do they dye it or something

You guys look great and your horse looks very game, just don't get too far up his neck and BN will be a piece of cake for you!
    Thanks Meredith! Yes, you can tell the jumps I was nervous about because I jumped ahead! And yes, they treat and dye the water in the water complex! It is so cool.

Thanks so much for sharing such an awesome story! You and your horse look great together. You're jumping form is so good, the release, your leg...everything! You and Tiki will excel at whatever discipline you do.

Am living vicariously right now as far as jumping - really enjoyed the photos! You and your chestnut look like naturals. I wish I looked that good during my first cross country school :-)

Prepare to have the most fun ever!
    Fear is the rocket sauce.
    Jack Black

Thank you guys so much. I've become a "do it yourself-er", and have had maybe 5 lessons in the time I've had Tiki. He is the most amazing, brave, fun horse in the entire world. No matter what we do, he is game to try it! My biggest weakness is actually my leg, so I recently decided to fix it. I did 3 solid weeks of no stirrups, then actually tied my stirrups to the girth with hay string for a few weeks, and NOW I feel nice and solid. I'll probably go back to another 2 weeks or so of no stirrups soon to continue to tighten and strengthen my position; it's not as easy as it was when I was 17!

But Becca has just done amazing things with Captain; she is so brave. I am really proud of her.

Thank y'all again for the kind words; this has been SO fun so far.

Congrats!

Isn't Calimar a great little place? Everything you need on just a few acres. That water complex is fabulous!

Nothing wrong w/ a do-it-yourself program, especially with the occasional eyes on the ground feedback from somewhere, be it a clinic, a lesson, a knowledgeable friend, or a score sheet. Pretty much that's what I've done it the last 10 yrs or so, and my homebred baby is about ready to go Prelim

When's your next outing?

Quote Originally Posted by saje View Post
    Congrats!

Isn't Calimar a great little place? Everything you need on just a few acres. That water complex is fabulous!

Nothing wrong w/ a do-it-yourself program, especially with the occasional eyes on the ground feedback from somewhere, be it a clinic, a lesson, a knowledgeable friend, or a score sheet. Pretty much that's what I've done it the last 10 yrs or so, and my homebred baby is about ready to go Prelim

When's your next outing?
    You are so brave. BN will be a handfull for me! We're contemplating Calimar again on Memorial Day.

Don't forget the most important part for a game horse that breezes easily over jumps and XC: dressage!

For that very reason, my girl and I are doing dressage all this year (with the exceptions of a few jumping lessons here and there). Of course, I'm greener than a string bean when it comes to eventing and KNOW as a former hunter-turned-jumper that dressage is going to be my failing point. So that's why I'm all about it.

Didn't I see you two were going to do a dressage test too on your last post?

Kudos! Your boy looks very happy to do his job. I think you found his calling

Dakotawyatt, GOOD FOR YOU!!!

That looks like so much fun. I wish you lived closer to me, we'd have fun riding together!

Quote Originally Posted by AzuWish View Post
    Don't forget the most important part for a game horse that breezes easily over jumps and XC: dressage!

For that very reason, my girl and I are doing dressage all this year (with the exceptions of a few jumping lessons here and there). Of course, I'm greener than a string bean when it comes to eventing and KNOW as a former hunter-turned-jumper that dressage is going to be my failing point. So that's why I'm all about it.

Didn't I see you two were going to do a dressage test too on your last post?

Kudos! Your boy looks very happy to do his job. I think you found his calling
    Haha, I think he's found his calling, too! Thanks to a thread here on COTH about the BN dressage test, I watched a bunch of them on Youtube, printed out the written copy, and have been practicing it! Tiki breezes through it. He is SO easy to flat; his biggest problem is when I can't ride him 5 days a week, he carries a little stiffness through his neck and back. My ring is 100X200, so a little bigger than an actual dressage arena, but when we go back to Calimar, we'll practice the test in the dressage ring. It really does ride so nicely; the ironic thing is my horse does GREAT picking up his leads on a straighaway, but will miss the right one on a circle if I don't support him on the outside aids.

TR, if we ever move to Ohio, I'll make sure to contact you, lol!

Jen and Tiki rocked my socks off!!! OMG, they were wonderful to watch!!

I had one goal in mind...NOT to die...and I came home alive, so, I'll say the day was succesful. I had not ridden in over a week due to a badly sprained ankle, and Captain had only been hacked lightly by a friend once in 7 days...he was a gem...a little fresh, but not crazy. It was a real blessing to have a brave pair like Jen and Tiki to play follow the leader with!

I felt terribly loose due to not riding the week prior (not to mention Cap likes to jump the snot out of new things) so we stayed over the really low stuff...did I mention I AM TERRIFIED riding outside of the ring and jumping solid things?!?!?! I mean, like puking terrified.

Not to mention I have only had Cap for less than 2 months and have only been actually riding him a month due to the horrid condition he was in when I got him.

The farm was perfect, we couldnt have asked for a better setting or better weather for our venture to the dark side.

I had a blast, still a little scared and not convinced this is the route for me, but I think now that the first outing is out of the way and once I can get back into a normal riding schedule with my ankle, I'll feel more solid the next time out.

However, I am convinced that Tiki was born for this sport...he was so stinking brave!!! And Jen...wow, Jen was brave too...what a great pair!
    Busy Bee Farm, Ellijay, GA
    Never Ride Faster Than Your Guardian Angel Can Fly
    Way Back Texas~04/20/90-09/17/08
    Green Alligator "Captain"

I loved the storybook Fantastic!!!

And... you guys should talk to MaryBess about getting some lessons!! She's at that farm and fantastic!! (I'm not saying anything about you NEEDING lessons... you guys look great and obviously managed just fine!, but if you should WANT the occasional lessons......she's great).

And.. I'm not too far from you guys so if you happen across a very loudly colored Appaloosa..... say hi and remind me of who you are!!! I can be a buddy at events when you get to them! Not that it'll matter because EVERYONE is so nice at events anyways

Congrats on a very successful outing and having such wonderful ponies and... Welcome to the Dark Side!

I LOVE that chesnut! I bet he can jump big, he's pratically cantering over those :-)

The bay is very cute too, I love the water picture

Thanks for sharing your pictures! I'm jealous of your leg. You look totally solid to me...ugh, looks like I'm going to have to start doing work without stirrups to strengthen my leg.

Congrats on a successful first XC experience!

The horses and riders looked great and it appeared to be one of those days that you just remember forever. Beautiful day, good friends, and brave horses- awesome!

This probably isn't the right place to mention this, being the dark side and all , but you "hunter princesses"would know who would very pleased with the lovely automatic release demonstrated in one of the pictures.