The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Eventing newbie question!

So, I've been a hunter princess for the last ... 20 years. Got my first horse a year and a half ago, and he is NOT a hunter. We've played in the jumper ring and had a GREAT time. Well, I've been bitten by the eventing bug, and think he will just EAT UP the cross country thing.

My friend and I are planning on hitting the cross country course for the first time on Sunday, and I don't have a vest! Is it required that you have a certain approved one? My favorite is the Tipperary one:
    http://www.smartpakequine.com/produc...ctClassid=4856

Dont have $250 to spend right now, though, and looked at this one, but it says "conforms to no known safety standard":
    http://www.smartpakequine.com/produc...ctClassid=8332

I prefer this style, but if I can't wear it, I guess I'll go with this one:
    http://www.smartpakequine.com/produc...ctClassid=8332

Any opinions? Anything else I have to have for our schooling on Sunday? I'm sure we have to have the medical armbands, right? Of course, helmets. I am SO EXCITED, can't WAIT!!!!

Welcome to the dark-side Dakotawyatt !
    Most if not all XC courses require that you wear a protective vest, and no it doesnt have to be approved. I personally love my Tipperary, but I also bought it slightly used (kid I new out grew it after wearing it a handful of times). I suggest that if you have a buddy that has a vest you can borrow, do so, to make sure that both you and your horse enjoy going XC, and to see what you like in terms of style as well.
    I know a lot of people that have this Flex Rider vest:
    http://www.smartpakequine.com/produc...ctClassid=4766, and say it is really comfortable. It is also a few bucks cheaper

All you will need is your medical arm band, and brushing/all purpose boots of some sort for your horsie. Have fun and let us know how it goes!

The rules do not require that safety vest be approved.
    Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).

Thank y'all so much! I really like the style of the lace up/zip front vest. I'm sure the Tipperary one is great, but this will be our first outing, so guess I'd better make sure horsie LIKES the cross country jumps, haha! I have this feeling he is going to LOVE it. I'm sensing a BN HT in our future ...

See if you can borrow an APPROVED vest! Why risk life and limb if you don't have to! Those vests are approved for a reason! If your horse gives you trouble about being on a XC course for the first time (and, umm, yes, there will be some exciting moments!), you will have more confidence if you're in the best safety equipment available. Have fun, and be safe!
    "Imma snap youuuu! - with a shout out to Wildlifer

As another fellow newbie, I'll throw in my 2 cents about the vests. I'm investing in a Charles Owen jL9. The Tipps are more comfy right off the bat (with having all of those little sections and all that conform instantly), but here is my theory on choosing the CO: right now, vests do not have to be approved (like the Tipps), but with sweeping safety concerns in all equestrian sports, I believe it is only a matter of time before they do have to meet a level of certification. That happens, and I not only would have I have to go spend more money on another vest, but then I would be stuck with now-worthless vest too. The CO vests are certified to Beta 2 or 3 (depending on what one you get)

I got fitted for the CO vest at Rolex and was delighted to find that I fit in the childs size! YAY for being on the small side! I did have to custom order it, though, as I need a Childs Large front, but an XL back.
    The only thing the government needs to solve all of its problems is a Council of Common Sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Dramapony_misty View Post
    As another fellow newbie, I'll throw in my 2 cents about the vests. I'm investing in a Charles Owen jL9. The Tipps are more comfy right off the bat (with having all of those little sections and all that conform instantly), but here is my theory on choosing the CO: right now, vests do not have to be approved (like the Tipps), but with sweeping safety concerns in all equestrian sports, I believe it is only a matter of time before they do have to meet a level of certification. That happens, and I not only would have I have to go spend more money on another vest, but then I would be stuck with now-worthless vest too. The CO vests are certified to Beta 2 or 3 (depending on what one you get)

I got fitted for the CO vest at Rolex and was delighted to find that I fit in the childs size! YAY for being on the small side! I did have to custom order it, though, as I need a Childs Large front, but an XL back.

Agreed.

And might I add, I am the HP she is dragging down with her....my head is spinning at the thought of dressage tests and jumping in an open field...I may very well be sick that day...I TRIED to sprain my ankle to get out of the whole thing, lol.

Kidding Jen!!

Anywho...the medical armbands are only required for an actual event, correct? All you/we need for schooling are vests and helmets...along with good brakes for horsey, lol.

How did I let you talk me into this????
    Busy Bee Farm, Ellijay, GA
    Never Ride Faster Than Your Guardian Angel Can Fly
    Way Back Texas~04/20/90-09/17/08
    Green Alligator "Captain"

Depends where you are schooling. At Fair Hill, they have EMT personnel at the schooling and you are required to wear an armband. At some places where you sign and ride, they do want you to wear one, at others not. I would check the rules/preferences where you are going.
    OTTBs rule, but spots are good too!

as scubed said- it can vary by venue so contact the venue and see what they require (might or might not require armbdands). If you do not already have galloping/brushing boots, I would not bother for this. They are not necessary for an introductory school.
    If you can borrow a vest, you should- that will not only give you a chance to see if you and your horse like xc before you incur that big expense, but also give you time to try out a few vests. Not all vests fit all body types comfortably or correctly (for example, the CO rides up on me) and so trying them on before you buy them is key IMO (or buying them knowing you can return them if they do not fit when they arrive if trying on a few at the tack store is not an option).
    Also, I may be reading something into your post that is not there, but I get the impression that you think the 2 choices you posted are choices between an approved vest and an unapproved vest- neither of the vests you posted are approved. That Tipperary, while darn comfortable, is not approved. Just wanted to clarify that so if you decide being approved is important (and I think it is but that is just my opinion) do not get the Tipperary Eventer
    welcome to the dark side
    There is something about the outside of a horse that is good for the inside of a man.(Churchill)

My 2 cents:

1. Call the schooling venue and ask what they require (you don't want to get there and find that you are missing something required!!)

2. Borrow a vest for this time and save up and buy a good one. Its an important piece of equipment and you don't want to cheap it IMHO.

3. Bring a stick even if you don't usually ride with one. You may need one and it's better to just have one with you.

4. Don't use leg wraps or boots that will sop up water. Ones with a neoprene lining are best.

5. Wear gloves. Sweaty reins or a pulling horse can take its toll!

6. HAVE FUN!!! (Sounds like you will!)
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals" Immanuel Kant

SUNDAY IS ALMOST HERE!!! Lol. I can't WAIT!!! Bought a vest (the approved one), bought some new gloves, and shaved pony's whiskers as to reduce drag. Relo has her vest (and her gumption) and we're almost ready to go! I am just so ridiculously excited!

Quote Originally Posted by Dakotawyatt View Post
    SUNDAY IS ALMOST HERE!!! ... I can't WAIT!!! .... I am just so ridiculously excited!
    That says it ALL! enjoy a happy horse and the huge grin on your face. And write back!
    About the only time losing is more fun than winning is when you're fighting temptation.
    -- Tom Wilson, actor & comedian

LOL, I dont know if I have my gumption....but, I DID torture you all last summer with hunter shows, so I guess its only fitting you torture me this year, lol.

We are going to have so much fun!!!!!

Whoooo hooo!
    Busy Bee Farm, Ellijay, GA
    Never Ride Faster Than Your Guardian Angel Can Fly
    Way Back Texas~04/20/90-09/17/08
    Green Alligator "Captain"

Woo Hoo, we went and had a GREAT time!!!!!!!!!! Here's the thread telling of our full adventure
    http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=256366