The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Training for amateurs in Europe?

This may be completely crazy, but I feel like I remember reading several articles about amateurs who have gone to Europe for a few weeks to a couple months or maybe longer for intensive training with high-end trainers. I can’t remember if these are specific schools, programs or simply trainers who take on temporary students who are looking for “immersion” training on higher-level horses.

If this exists, has anyone here done something like it? Is it worth it? A goal of mine has been to find someplace over seas where I could immerse myself in top-quality dressage for however long I could possibly do so but I have no idea where I would start looking.

Thanks for any thoughts.

I'm sure if you contact some of the top trainers over there, and have the $$$ to back it up, they'd take you as a student for awhile. Of course, I have no idea how much bankroll that will take, beware, I'm sure it's not cheap.

I paid around $1500 per month for full training in Holland with a medium-name trainer. I had my own horse. But finding a lease on a horse would not be an issue. Not really an immersion program, but it didn't cost an arm and a leg. I think some kind of modified working student position would be possible, where you pay some and work some to get to ride more horses. You could lease a medium/upper level horse to pay for lessons and then work off some extra rides/lessons on younger horses.

If you know a professional who has gone over and trained, you might start by talking to them. They would be able to give you an idea of costs, who they would recommend, etc.
    good luck.

EaglesWings, I sent you a PM.

You might be thinking of Etoile, which has since closed.