The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default propane torches for clearing fenclines

Okay...as I was wandering through the co-op yesterday, I saw a little set up that's basically a propane torch that can be used for weed removal. Looks like it hooks up to a small propane tank.

I try to avoid application of chemicals whenever possible, and thought this might be a good set-up to keep my fence lines cleaned up a bit- that seems to be where most of the weeds want to grow.

Has anyone used one of these- obviously this isn't something that would work in the dry season.

Has anybody used one of these? Thought I'd ask before I spent the $50.

The torch you are referring to is something we use to burn off pasture that has been carefully plowed around to prevent the flames from reaching a hedgerow/weeds/trees/brush. I think it would be extremely dangerous to torch the weeds along the fence line. Fire also damages posts and galvanized wire fence, too. Chemicals are the method of choice, but HD weedeaters will also do the job.
    www.crosscreeksporthorses.com
    Breeders of Painted Thoroughbreds and Uniquely Painted Irish Sport Horses in Northeast Oklahoma

Thanks- that's helpfu to knowl, and I wondered as much. I should have added that I was planning to do this only in my paddocks (no grass- sand footing) where I get pesky nettles in the fenceline not my pastures, where the weed-eater works great. It's tougher to get the weed-eater into my paddock fencelines.

Since I have lactating mares and an infant myself, application of nearly all of the commonly used chemicals for weed control is no longer an option on my place.

I have one, a Red Dragon, I think it is?

Easy, kinda fun to torch thistles, etc with it, but slow and tedious work after a while. If you don't mind slow and tedious...have at it. I have not fired mine up in 2-3 yrs...

Henrico, NC 36 30'50.49" N 77 50'17.47" W

Try it with a regular propane torch first and you will see that it's surprising how long it takes to burn green vegetation.