The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default A warning to those in VA/MD/WV - Abusive lease situation

Last edited by Sabovee; May. 10, 2010 at 11:01 PM.
    True North Dressage
    Select Cheval Canadiens for dressage and eventing
    www.TrueNorthDressage.com

Is there anything we can do? How can we help those horses?
    www.specialhorses.org
    a 501(c)3 organization helping 501(c)3 equine rescues

I've reported her to the local animal control and there was a report when the first horse was picked up. I'm not sure if anyone in the area knows of any rescues who could get involved. I'm too far to be involved beyond phone calls etc to animal control - which has been done. Last I heard they took my report and were going to check in, I haven't heard anything more. I called to get a check up and they said it was "being handled".
    True North Dressage

Thanks for the warning. Where are Jennifer's horses now? In Lynchburg or Huddleston? I'm 20 minutes from Huddleston and about 40 to Lynchburg. For some reason, there are tons of people in the Bedford area who are all about buying or adopting Tbs and then starving them. I guess they see them when they're healthy and gorgeous and don't realize or don't care that it takes work and money to keep them like that. Last year I visited 2 Bedford farms with horses in worse shape than Jennifer's and getting animal control to really do anything is like pulling teeth.
    Please don't try to be a voice of reason. It's way more fun to spin things out of control. #BecauseCOTH - showhorsegallery

I picked up my horse is Lynchburg, but was told by animal control it's actually Bedford. Either way she's in that area and no longer Huddleston.
    True North Dressage

Thank you very much for the information. It would be nice to know what the point is of her taking healthy horses on leases and then starving them. I am glad you got you boy back as I am sure he is too. I know from moving here several years ago that AC is almost non existant for horses, dogs, etc. I am sure people like Jennifer are aware how slowly justice moves in these cases.

Good luck with your horse.

Goodness gracious.

I'm a little confused though. You said you were getting regular photos and such...do you think this happened in a short period of time?
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

Or perhaps the person had a bunch of pictures from early on and posted those.
    Dee
    Founder of the I LOFF my worrywart TB clique!
    Official member of the "I Sing Silly Songs to My Animals!" Clique
    http://wilddiamondintherough.blogspot.ca/

Just to let people know, in many places you (an individual) can file animal abuse charges yourself with the city attorney's office if you have one. I had to do that when my next door neighbor shot one of my dogs thru the fence, just becuase he thought it was funny (he told me that). AC refused to press charges because they said they didn't see it happen (Of course not...I had redwood fencing, so even if they were in front of my house they couldn't have seen it). I was pissed and told them that that policy must really cut down the number of cases they prosecute, if they have to see it occur, even when the person admits to it.

Anyways, I went to the city atty's office and filed charges against him. I think I had to pay a 35.00 filing fee. He went to court, pled guilty, got a 300.00 fine, 1 yr in jail suspended, and 3 yrs probation.

So that might be an option, for some people.

Quote Originally Posted by DeeThbd View Post
    Or perhaps the person had a bunch of pictures from early on and posted those.
    Dee
    I think this is what happened. I think she took a bunch of pictures when he first got there and was sending those. She's a very very adept liar. She did send me photos of him looking fine at the same time Anne went up to get her horse. There are pictures of him looking very thin over the winter, just a week after she sent me photos of him looking fine. So I believe that she had photos of him prior that she sent me instead... does that make sense?
    True North Dressage

United States Equine Rescue League will help. Google them, and make a phone report. Talk to a live person, don't leave a message.

Quote Originally Posted by Sabovee View Post
    I think this is what happened. I think she took a bunch of pictures when he first got there and was sending those. She's a very very adept liar. She did send me photos of him looking fine at the same time Anne went up to get her horse. There are pictures of him looking very thin over the winter, just a week after she sent me photos of him looking fine. So I believe that she had photos of him prior that she sent me instead... does that make sense?
    |That makes perfect sense, Sabovee. I have a raft of pics of my boys from different times, with nothing to show what year they were taken...and without indicators like the foliage on trees, or the condition of pasture depending on season....they could be from ANY time.
    THANK YOU for doing right by your horse....I think I would kick the sin out of anybody who did that to one of my boys.
    Dee
    Founder of the I LOFF my worrywart TB clique!
    Official member of the "I Sing Silly Songs to My Animals!" Clique
    http://wilddiamondintherough.blogspot.ca/

Hugs, Sabovee. So sorry this happened to you and your poor horse. I've never heard of the woman (I'm near Richmond) but will note her name for future reference.

I had a similar story when I placed a horse years ago. Luckily, like yours, it had a happy ending because I followed up. The people I gave my mare to were taking in horses and then selling them, even if they weren't sound/healthy. It was awful. I will never again give a horse away, I'd rather euth them if I wasn't able to take care of them anymore. The deal with my mare is the reason why I still have my old lame QH... and why I worked two jobs to pay his board when I was too broke to afford him. He is now at home with me and has his own pony. I took in an ex-schoolie from my then lesson barn last year and he, too, will be here for the rest of his days. Unfortunately the lesson program gave away several other horses and didn't do a whole lot of research so I doubt they all ended up in good homes too. It kills me to think that my TB, who is in his late twenties and was an IHSA horse and schoolie for years, could have easily ended up in a bad situation.

Sorry for the long winded story, I just wanted to let you know you weren't alone. And readers, please, PLEASE know that this is what you could face if you give a horse away or free lease it to an unknown person. The only person you can be 100% confident to care about the well being of your older or unsound horse is YOU.

And FWIW, I second contacting USERL.

Thank you for sharing your story.

It's sad that people need to physically check on their horses so often when they are leased out but it's the truth.

You can't trust pictures and no matter how confidant and charming they sound on the phone they can still be abusing your horse!

I don't think I would ever lease a horse to someone who I couldn't drive to their farm in a reasonable amount of time (like 2 or 3 hours round trip) you just never know!

I have contacted USERL, hopefully they'll be more helpful than the local animal control has been.

Meredith - It's sad, but true. I have two other horses leased out, one to a very good friend, I teach her as well so I get to see him frequently. The other is just a short distance away I stop by on weekends to see how he's doing as well.

I was leery about sending this boy away initially, she was 2 hours away when he first went out, which is further than I would have liked but it seemed like an ideal situation for him. Then when she moved he was 4 hours away.. which made it very difficult for me to get there. I'd never send another horse that far away again!
    True North Dressage

Just a note on the heavy tick infestation - be on the lookout for anaplasma or lyme symptoms. Lethargy, fever, swollen legs, EPM-like symptoms, body aches and stiffness, creaky hocks. I picked a few ticks off my horse last year and then she came down with anaplasmosis. We lost many months of riding and training. I am terrified of ticks now.

Glad you got your horse back. He looked awful.

that's just weird. I can see someone might make $$ off boarding horses and providing very sub-optimal care, but why would someone lease/buy horse after horse and starve them?

Quote Originally Posted by Auventera Two View Post
    Just a note on the heavy tick infestation - be on the lookout for anaplasma or lyme symptoms. Lethargy, fever, swollen legs, EPM-like symptoms, body aches and stiffness, creaky hocks. I picked a few ticks off my horse last year and then she came down with anaplasmosis. We lost many months of riding and training. I am terrified of ticks now.

Glad you got your horse back. He looked awful.
    We proactively put him on a doxycycline regiment.
    True North Dressage

Wow. So glad you got him back when you did.