The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Jaegermonster View Post
    I still don't know why they screwed with the 7.3. It rocks. If you can find a good used one, grab it, but I would avoid the others like the plague.
    I understand they scrapped it because it could not meet the new emissions standards. The next generation of diesels (from at least two of the major makers) will have urea tanks to take care of NO2 emissions (IIRC).

So hang on to that older technology from all of the Big Three because the future holds even more complexity.

G.

Hollywood, but not the one where they have the Oscars!

Go to www.thedieselstop.com take Guilherme's info with you, then start truck shopping.
    "You can't really debate with someone who has a prescient invisible friend"
    carolprudm

Hollywood, but not the one where they have the Oscars!

oh and btw, my 2000 F-350 has 362k on it
    "You can't really debate with someone who has a prescient invisible friend"
    carolprudm

Kelly,
    I too am a FORD girl. Have been all my life. Even my tractor is a '52 Ford 8N. My dad was a Ford mechanic and all my neighbors drive Fords as well. I have a 96 F350 Ford diesel 7.3. I love it! I agree why not get the little older one but buy a 7.3.

Nancy

Quote Originally Posted by KellyS View Post
    Arrggghhh....

So my husband and I are on the verge of buying a new(er) truck. We've known we were facing this for awhile and our old truck gave us the high sign this past weekend that the time has come.

All these years we've been exactly on the same page of what we want...Ford 350 diesel. And we have 5 to go look at that fit in our price range. All 2008s with the 6.4L diesel.

Well, after talking with friends, he's now completely convinced that the motors are horrible and wants to get a Chevy or Dodge. And the ones he's found I just hate...can't put my finger on it other than to say I'm a Ford girl through and through.

So is it the truth? Are they really as awful as people say...as awful as the 6.0Ls? We've always totally agreed on equipment--this is the first time we are completely on opposite ends of the spectrum.

Maybe we'll just limp the old Ford along for a bit longer...(1994 with gas engine that has about 200K on it)

Well, thanks to the wonderfulness of a COTH connection...looks like we are buying a 2000 F350 with the 7.3L diesel. Wow...thanks for all the info on this thread...certainly helped us make the decision. I love COTH!
    Kelly Soldavin Harvest Moon Farm
    www.harvestmoonfarmpa.com

Quote Originally Posted by Jaegermonster View Post
    Are you sure it's a 7.3? You might want to look at the plate under the hood. I think they stopped making the 7.3 midyear 02.
    Nah, 03 was the half year. *scratches head* I think? ! LOL

I do know that the 6.0 came out midyear 02, whether or not they kept making the 7.3 until model year 03 I'm not 100% on, but you might want to take a look at the plate under the hood just to be sure.
    I bought my 02 7.3 in June 02 and they really pushed me to get a 6.0 since it was supposed to be the hot new thing to compete with the Duramax, but I don't buy anything until it's been out a while and has a track record, which was a good move with the 6.0
    "Perhaps the final test of anybody's love of dogs is their willingness to permit them to make a camping ground of the bed" -Henry T. Merwin

I am now stricken. Crushed as it were, being totally unaware that Ford no longer makes the 7.3. Our F350 dually is a 1990 and that sucker is going strong.

We had the transmission rebuilt about 5 years ago but everything else that's needed repair has been fixable by Mr. Wings via the junkyard, auto parts store or local Ford Dealer parts dept.

I suppose I'd best set my sights on my next used truck being a 2002 or earlier!

I love my truck in all it's 20 year old 7.3 liter, battered up ugliness. It gets the job done reliably with very little $ going out.
    "If you would have only one day to live, you should spend at least half of it in the saddle."

Cool

Arrggghhh....

So my husband and I are on the verge of buying a new(er) truck. We've known we were facing this for awhile and our old truck gave us the high sign this past weekend that the time has come.

All these years we've been exactly on the same page of what we want...Ford 350 diesel. And we have 5 to go look at that fit in our price range. All 2008s with the 6.4L diesel.

Well, after talking with friends, he's now completely convinced that the motors are horrible and wants to get a Chevy or Dodge. And the ones he's found I just hate...can't put my finger on it other than to say I'm a Ford girl through and through.

So is it the truth? Are they really as awful as people say...as awful as the 6.0Ls? We've always totally agreed on equipment--this is the first time we are completely on opposite ends of the spectrum.

Maybe we'll just limp the old Ford along for a bit longer...(1994 with gas engine that has about 200K on it)
    bottom line is if you are a Ford Person, then you buy a Ford in spite of their diesel being crap. Just look at the fact that Ford had to sue International over all the warranty costs of putting those engines back together over and over again for Ford customers.

but if you really want a good diesel engine, you buy a Dodge because of the Cummins.

and as for the Duramax, it may be slightly better than the International in the Ford, but only slightly better. As an owner of a Dodge [and I was a Chevy guy all my life] I wouldn't have any other engine than a Cummins. The V8 configuration of the International and the Duramax are mechanically inferior. There is just no other way to say it. From that design you get a whole range of problems.

but since you are a Ford gal, go buy the Ford--they make a pretty truck! [too bad they cannot make a motor to put in it]

Well, thanks to the wonderfulness of a COTH connection...looks like we are buying a 2000 F350 with the 7.3L diesel. Wow...thanks for all the info on this thread...certainly helped us make the decision. I love COTH!
    Yeah for COTH.

I'm a little late to this thread but we have a 2001 F350 7.3 and LOVE it.

Quote Originally Posted by Everythingbutwings View Post
    I am now stricken. Crushed as it were, being totally unaware that Ford no longer makes the 7.3. Our F350 dually is a 1990 and that sucker is going strong.

We had the transmission rebuilt about 5 years ago but everything else that's needed repair has been fixable by Mr. Wings via the junkyard, auto parts store or local Ford Dealer parts dept.

I suppose I'd best set my sights on my next used truck being a 2002 or earlier!

I love my truck in all it's 20 year old 7.3 liter, battered up ugliness. It gets the job done reliably with very little $ going out.
    I'm in the same 'zact position. ZACTLY, 'cept with an F250, non-dually. Her skin is rotting off, maybe some of her skeleton too, but her heart is strong.

That's why I'm prowling ads and prying open my mind to the Dodge alternative.

And to bust it wide open, a truck boy (a boy, mind you, not man) suggested I consider gasoline. Cheaper fuel and oil changes but engines now going more than the 100K I was taught as a child.

If you want "most hauling miles per dollar" is the diesel genus still the one? I can't imagine choosing between these higher taxonomic categories. Diesel species and evolution are complicated enough.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

Congrats--we have a 1996 F250 with the 7.3L diesel. Going on 270,000 miles
    and still going strong.

LOVE LOVE LOVE our Dodge Ram with a Cummins engine!!!! Gets almost 20 miles to the gallon and 16 pulling a fully loaded trailer! Not an ounce of trouble ..just the basic care....and I haul the trailer weekly and a couple times a year it is out of state.

Our last 2 trucks have both been F350 Diesel and we've never had ANY problems.

Current truck is 200 F350 Diesel 4X4 without any problems. I'd stick with Ford - heard bad things about Chevys and Dodges.
    Sandy in Fla.

If they can figure out how to build a truck around the Cummins that is not made by Chrysler and their cheap crappiness, I would look upon it much more favourably. The Cummins is a great engine...unfortunately, to have one, you have to take the Dodge truck that goes around it, sigh....

But, hey OP, congrats on finding a 7.3L, you will looooove it!

Quote Originally Posted by wildlifer View Post
    If they can figure out how to build a truck around the Cummins that is not made by Chrysler and their cheap crappiness, I would look upon it much more favourably. The Cummins is a great engine...unfortunately, to have one, you have to take the Dodge truck that goes around it, sigh....

But, hey OP, congrats on finding a 7.3L, you will looooove it!
    Exactly...

That Cummins is noisy...put it in a POS truck and you need ear plugs to drive it.

I was told that Cummins is owned by Ford but Ford can't use their engines in their light trucks because of contractual obligations that Cummins had predating Ford's aquisition. As long as Dodge uses the Cummins engines, Ford can't.

Of course if Chysler goes Tango Uniform we may see Ford roll out its fifth engine in 12 years.

G.

We had a 2000 7.3L Ford crew cab diesel - wonderful truck. A neighbor crashed into it and it was a total loss. So we had to buy another right away, and that was a 2005 King Ranch diesel crew cab.

Still have it - it has been a hauling wonder for the last 5 years. No problems. During the summer, we put the big trailer behind it and haul up to 7 tons of hay, every other day, for 10 days or so. Put a camper on it and drove it to horse shows, including from Oregon to California - no problems. Also towed our 4 horse trailer behind it, with the camper on it - no problems. Also used it to haul full trailer loads of building supplies, anything you can think of, for the house we were building - no problems. It is a really peppy engine, compared to my other Fords, and I love the tow haul feature.

I loved my 2000 7.3L diesel, had intended to keep it for life until the neighbor killed it (but it saved dh's life - it was a head on crash with a speeding Dodge crew cab). Love this 2005 6L, intend to keep it for life. I still have a '76 Ford (gas, and retired to ranch use only) and a '92 Ford diesel that will now be hauling the camper to fishing spots for dh.

Saw this thread and had to add my story. Finally had money to buy a truck this winter but only a cheap truck. Found a 92 extended cab (only 2 door though) Ford f-250 with the 7.3l engine and 200K on the clock. got it for $3800. Immediately had to put 4 new tires on (but thats considered consumable not repair right?), replace radiator, replace ps pump, and fix a couple of leaks. Now he runs great (knock on wood). Have had a couple of mechanics tell me I got lucky with getting this engine that is the best diesel ever. Since I didn't have a clue what to look for other than diesel for towing that made me feel better.

At the time I felt kind of sorry for myself that I had to get an "old" truck and couldn't get a nice new shiney crew cab like my friends, but the more I read, the better I feel about Rusty.

Hopefully he will keep going strong for many years!

Another vote for the 7.3
    Mine is not stock but all I did was a cold air intake and a larger exhaust pipe.
    It has 115K on it and the ONLY problems we had was an issue with the 4x4 which was very cheap to fix.
    It hauls my 3h slant fully loaded easily.

Also I agree that the keys to this truck will have to pried out of my cold dead hands... but I have heard great things about the new 6.7....