The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

We have an '05 2 WD Excursion with the 6.0 engine. It has 90K miles and we have never had any trouble ith it.

It is for sale, sorta, as in "We really need to get rid of one of these trucks".

We also have an '02 4 WD Excursion that has never given us a bit of trouble,either. That one is a keeper.

We also have a Ram PU. And a Camry, so with 2 drivers in the family, we really need to get rid of at least one of the trucks
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

I've got a 2003 F-250 diesel w/ the 7.3L engine & manual transmission & 4wd.

I. Love. This. Truck.

Bought it new, it's now got 110k on it, and I haven't had one iota of trouble with it. Most of those miles have been hauling miles, and it's been fabulous to drive.

If I have a beef with it, and it's a minor beef, it that the thing has a turning radius of a battleship. I have to take a good look at new parking situations, or plan to do a bit of jockeying. In the scheme of things it's no big deal at all.

Unfortunately, Ford has not yet been able to produce anything as awesome as the 7.3L. I have a 2001 and you could not pry it away from me!! The 6.0L and 6.4L, however, have been mostly big money pits and problems. Some folks have had luck, but it is spotty at best and you couldn't pay me to have one of those later ones. They drive nice...when they are working. Major engine components fail, ugh. You can get one www.ford-trucks.com and find all the info you ever needed.

Search this forum and the off course one for threads on Ford deisels. There have been a lot.

Own a 2005 F350 Lariat dually 6L turbo diesel and have zero issues with it in over 100,000 miles now. It replaced my 1990 F150, 5L gas, which I also had zero major issues with over 250,000 miles hauling.

Thing goes like a scared rabbit when you need it to, and can pull an aircraft carrier uphill passing other cars. Yet still manages to get almost 20 mpg. hauling. better than the F150.

We know a local diesel mechanic who bought a one ton Dodge about the same time we got our F350, and he had nothing but tranny and tuirbo problems with it, finally replacing it after a couple of years.

with a ford.
    "The Threat of Internet Ignorance: ... we are witnessing the rise of an age of equestrian disinformation, one where a trusting public can graze on nonsense packaged to look like fact."-LRG-AF

People love and hate cars for so many reasons, only a few of which are based on carefully considered thought or personal experience with all the types and brands out there.

One bad experience and people hate them for life. Your daddy was a Ford man, it's hard for you to love a Chevy, etc. etc.

I have had both Dodge, Chevy and Ford trucks. Each had their issues, but so far the Ford has been the best. We've had our F350 for seven years, no major issues or repairs, just minor things and maintenance, zero let-downs, zero down-time, zero is the number of times the truck has failed me.
    Click here before you buy.

Within the Ford world, Guilherme's post will help you out the most.

The non-turbo 7.3L engines (international?) are the sharks and crocodiles of the engine world-- "living fossils" so simple and tough that they live forever and seem well-adapted to their environment of all eras. These are just about impossible to find now. If you have one and the rest of the truck isn't falling apart, keep it.

When you get to any turbo engine, things get more complicated. More electronic doohickies to move fuel around and break, leaving a diesel that looks healthy on the outside to starve on the inside.

The engines that do raise that great anti-ford hue and cry are the post-2003 6.0s and 6.4. I don't know when experts consider Ford to have gotten its act back together.

But it does make Ford people like me looking for old used diesels consider jumping ship.... maybe to a Dodge Cummins?
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

We have 3 Ford Diesels here that we pull with on a regular basis; a 2000 F-250, a 2005 F-350 dually, and a 2007 F-350. Have had zero problems with any of the trucks. Not exactly sure of the engines in them but they all run great and pull like a dream. But perhaps I'm a bit Ford biased as I've always towed with them.
    **Friend of bar.ka**

Fils Du Reverdy (Revy)- 1993 Selle Francais Gelding
    My equine soulmate

Sent you a PM.

Just remember, in cars as it is with horses, EVERYONE will have a strong opinion about brands (breeds) and what is good or bad.
    Fords are fine. Just get something well cared for, no matter what brand.

Quote Originally Posted by Daydream Believer View Post
    I've known several people to have bad experiences with the Ford diesels...to the point of getting rid of them shortly after purchasing. I love my Duramax GMC...it's 7 years old and has 140K miles on it and runs beautifully.
    Our neighbor is a truck driver and also hauls much with his pickup.
    He has a four year old of those and he tells me it has spent one week a month in the shop since he bought it.
    I know, he then uses my 1990 F150 4x4 to get by until his is back from the shop.
    He can't wait to trade it in, as soon as he can, they are very pricey.
    BUT, he will get another just like that.

The brand is not what makes one vehicle bad, really, but that you don't get a lemon.

OP, tell DH that you want to get what you like, not live with something that is not what you want and may give trouble after all anyway.

Yeah, sometimes I think it is just luck of the draw. I have a Ford F350 diesel. That is supposed to be their crappy one-but mine does great. Never had a problem and I tow all over. OTOH I had a Ford Mustang that was just a piece of junk.

I have a '92 F250 that I love. It's the 7.3L non turbo model. My diesel guy loves it, too.

I've had a couple of problems with it but they were weird wire shorts or sensor problems.

If you search the ford diesel forums, you'll find a lot of people that don't like the 6.xL engines. Most really like the 7.3. My poor old truck suffers from sun exposure more than anything. Well, that and the lack of getting driven much. I have a long commute to work so I drive my little car. Truck sits most of the time.

I just bought a '96 F250 with the 7.3L engine (after reading COTH advice, thanks guys!) with 118k miles on it, a powderpuff that belonged to an elderly couple, the original owners. Only $6k! My mechanic is green with envy.

You can find the 7.3 in the newer body style. I believe they switched from the 7.3L in 2002, some from that year are the crappy 6.0, and some are the 7.3.

I also have a 2006 F250 diesel and love it. As like everyone else has said, we have not had a bit of trouble with it, just turned 71,000 miles on it and love many of the features that come with the truck. We haul draft horses all over for shows both local and in PA, Maryland, etc. along with all their tack, harness and sometimes the wagon and have never had a bit of trouble with the truck itself going up or down hills or anywhere else.

The mechanic we go to for all our work says that he believes the reason some have problems with their trucks is they don't do the services on them when they are suppose to or the tire rotations, basic care. We are faithful about everything.

But...cast my vote for the Ford..and..if anyone is a card carrying AQHA member, you get $500 off the price of the truck. May not seem like a lot but every penny helps.

Quote Originally Posted by SmokenMirrors View Post
    The mechanic we go to for all our work says that he believes the reason some have problems with their trucks is they don't do the services on them when they are suppose to or the tire rotations, basic care. We are faithful about everything.

Definitely the top of the to do list if you have a newer diesel. The Ford injectors in these trucks are oil 'actuated.' Late oil changes can kill your injectors, as can poor/dirty diesel fuel.

Also, with your filters, I would also suggest buying Motorcraft for your diesel application. If you don't want to go to the dealer, you should be able to get them at walmart, and some independent aftermarket parts houses also carry the Motorcraft line. They should be priced competitively enough.

Many an ancient truck got that way because the owner was diligent about oil changes and routine maintenance.

Nothing is worse for a mechanic than a truck owner who doesn't fix it until it breaks.

Because by then, a whole bunch of other stuff is just waiting to go too.
    "The Threat of Internet Ignorance: ... we are witnessing the rise of an age of equestrian disinformation, one where a trusting public can graze on nonsense packaged to look like fact."-LRG-AF

I had a 2000 F-350 turbo diesel for four years. No problems. Turned it in for a 2004 turbo diesel model in order to upgrade to a club cab. Although I am *meticulous* about maintenance, I have had unending problems with this truck... to the tune of $10k in repairs in the past two years. Why do I still keep it? I still like it better than the comparable Dodge and Chevy models for ride and towing power, plus looks I will admit. And I'm keeping fingers crossed that I've already fixed everything that was going to break.
    Athletic Horses. Educated Riders.
    www.Ride-With-Confidence.com

Love my Ford diesel's...never ever have they left me on the side of the road. My 88' F250 is still hauling with over 300,00 hauling miles on it and my 03' F350 has been a gem. I have owned Dodge and GMC...will never again.

Quote Originally Posted by Guilherme View Post
    Ford has had four diesel engines in the last 12 years or so.

7.3L: A "cast iron" engine. Does not break often and is fairly easy to fix if it does. Used up until 2002, IIRC.

6.0L: Made by IH it gave good service in many applications. In the Ford it's highest and best use is likely a boat anchor. Defines the old joke that FORD means "Fix Or Repair Daily." Or maybe "Found On Road, Dead." While some folks have got good service out of it Ford was forced to buy a very large number back under various Lemon Laws. There's $500 Million in litigation between Ford and IH over the whole affair. Avoid like the plague unless you're a Ford Certified Diesel Mechanic. Used from 2002-2007.

6.4L: Also made by IH, it's a very sophisticated engine that must be treated exactly as The Book says. Do this and you'll likely be OK; don't and you're looking at some truly impressive repair bills. Used 2008-10.

6.7L Scorpion: Will be available in 2011 Ford SuperDuty trucks. Lots of hype. No track record, yet. Lots of big towing number projected. Why a 6.7L engine? Because that makes it bigger than the 6.6L Duramax. Lots of testosterone here, don't you know. Before I bought one I'd remember the old definition of a "pioneer"...that's the guy with the arrows in his back.

Remember that the engine is just part of the drive train and that drive train is underneath a whole bunch of truck. Look at the entire package before you make any decision.

G.
    What he said. And yes, they are that bad. That said, I have had 3 7.3 Ford diesels and they kick ass. The current one is an 02, just hit 120k miles and just getting broke in

You couldn't give me the 6.0 Ford for free that is a pos. Nothing but trouble.

The 6.4 I don't think had enough time on the road to make me consider it, I usually like to see something new on the market for a few years to give them some time to work out the bugs etc. The no track record thing.

Same for the 6.7.

I still don't know why they screwed with the 7.3. It rocks. If you can find a good used one, grab it, but I would avoid the others like the plague.
    "Perhaps the final test of anybody's love of dogs is their willingness to permit them to make a camping ground of the bed" -Henry T. Merwin

Quote Originally Posted by saje View Post
    I've got a 2003 F-250 diesel w/ the 7.3L engine & manual transmission & 4wd.

I. Love. This. Truck.

Bought it new, it's now got 110k on it, and I haven't had one iota of trouble with it. Most of those miles have been hauling miles, and it's been fabulous to drive.

If I have a beef with it, and it's a minor beef, it that the thing has a turning radius of a battleship. I have to take a good look at new parking situations, or plan to do a bit of jockeying. In the scheme of things it's no big deal at all.
    Are you sure it's a 7.3? You might want to look at the plate under the hood. I think they stopped making the 7.3 midyear 02.
    "Perhaps the final test of anybody's love of dogs is their willingness to permit them to make a camping ground of the bed" -Henry T. Merwin