The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Default Are the Ford diesels really that bad?

Arrggghhh....

So my husband and I are on the verge of buying a new(er) truck. We've known we were facing this for awhile and our old truck gave us the high sign this past weekend that the time has come.

All these years we've been exactly on the same page of what we want...Ford 350 diesel. And we have 5 to go look at that fit in our price range. All 2008s with the 6.4L diesel.

Well, after talking with friends, he's now completely convinced that the motors are horrible and wants to get a Chevy or Dodge. And the ones he's found I just hate...can't put my finger on it other than to say I'm a Ford girl through and through.

So is it the truth? Are they really as awful as people say...as awful as the 6.0Ls? We've always totally agreed on equipment--this is the first time we are completely on opposite ends of the spectrum.

Maybe we'll just limp the old Ford along for a bit longer...(1994 with gas engine that has about 200K on it)
    Kelly Soldavin Harvest Moon Farm
    www.harvestmoonfarmpa.com

I am not a car person at all, but my parents have a diesel Ford F350 king ranch. I'm not sure of the year, but I think they've had it for about 5 years.

There have been no problems at all with the engine or hauling or anything. Except for when I backed it into a hay trailer and broke the taillight... that thing is HARD to drive compared to my 2 door coupe.

Hopefully someone else has a more informative answer though. What is supposedly wrong with Ford engines?

Why not go with the '99-03 7.3? Not as new but proven and capable. A lot of people love the 7.3.

The main thing with the 6.4's is, it is critical to performs all scheduled maintenance based on the severity of your driving conditions. It will reek havoc on your injectors and/or turbo and possibly your motor if you don't take care of filter/fluid changes. Also advisable to keep it stock! I work at a garage, and we do have one customer that I know hauls horses from NJ to FL regularly. She has an 05 with the 6.0. It's stock and she has not reported any problems on any trips. BUT, she brings it in before every trip to have the maint. work done. It really is that important! Good luck with whatever your purchase! If I can think of it monday, I will ask the techs what the common problems are.

I've known several people to have bad experiences with the Ford diesels...to the point of getting rid of them shortly after purchasing. I love my Duramax GMC...it's 7 years old and has 140K miles on it and runs beautifully.

My friend just bought a ten year old 7.3 - the mechanic we use told her if she did not buy it, he would - they are the best. Heard this time and again.

Ourselves - our Ford 4x4 diesel is a l989 (20 years old) and never given us a minute's trouble. I'd like a newer one, just don't have enough of a reason to go spend the $$.

We have an '01 F350, love it and have had zero issues with it.
    We're spending our money on horses and bourbon. The rest we're just wasting.
    www.dleestudio.com

Have a 2000 F250 Diesel, bought it new. LOVE IT!!!! Had a Chevy truck before that, it left me in the middle of CA with a fully loaded horse trailer. When this truck needs to be replaced, it will be with another Ford Diesel. Don't hesitate, it pulls like a dream and is totally reliable.

Finally...back in civilization, more or less

Another vote for the 7.3L diesel...if you can find one for sale.

Mine is a '99, SRW, supercab, long bed. Has about 105k miles on it now, just getting broken in, really. I have had zero problems with it, and the reliability is a big deal to me, as I am almost always by myself when hauling... it pulls my 2+1 GH with an extended dressing room with no difficulty at all, in fact I sometimes do that extra glance in the rearview mirror to make sure it's still back there, LOL.

A friend of mine who is a pro rider/dealer has one of the newer ones (an '08 maybe?) It's a beautiful truck, and he has hauled his 6 horse with it all over the US with no problems.

Personally I have always had very, very good luck with Fords and prefer them. Every time I take my truck in for routine maintenance, the mechanic there reminds me that if I ever want to sell, he wants to be the first in line. He's wasting his time, of course. They will have to pry those keys out of my cold, dead hands.
    We move pretty fast for some rabid garden snails.
    -PaulaEdwina

We have an '06 F350... it was a good deal when we bought it, and that's why we still have it...

I miss my GMCs desperately.
    -Jessica

The Ford diesels are good. We have a '99 F250, V-10 and hope to move up in a 2009-2011 F250 diesel later this year.Two friends have Dodge diesels- probably 2002-2004 models and goodness, gracious, they are LOUD!!! I'd never own one of those. I went with a GF to pick up a horse in NC and we drove her Chevy Duramax- I was in love with her truck!! That engine ate up the road of the West Virginia turnpike like it was a flat strip of beach. Amazing truck! And it has the feature that makes it automatically adjust to the grade when your going downhill. I really liked that feature as I drove back through the turnpike with the horse in the trailer.

We have the 03 350 7.3L diesel and the only way it will ever be for sale is if we find a dually King ranch 7.3. Hauls like a dream and I've never once felt like I didn't have the power or brake to do what I needed to do. Even when hauling a VERY fractious just-off-the-track Stud cold who was pissed about leaving his mare behind.

Ford has had four diesel engines in the last 12 years or so.

7.3L: A "cast iron" engine. Does not break often and is fairly easy to fix if it does. Used up until 2002, IIRC.

6.0L: Made by IH it gave good service in many applications. In the Ford it's highest and best use is likely a boat anchor. Defines the old joke that FORD means "Fix Or Repair Daily." Or maybe "Found On Road, Dead." While some folks have got good service out of it Ford was forced to buy a very large number back under various Lemon Laws. There's $500 Million in litigation between Ford and IH over the whole affair. Avoid like the plague unless you're a Ford Certified Diesel Mechanic. Used from 2002-2007.

6.4L: Also made by IH, it's a very sophisticated engine that must be treated exactly as The Book says. Do this and you'll likely be OK; don't and you're looking at some truly impressive repair bills. Used 2008-10.

6.7L Scorpion: Will be available in 2011 Ford SuperDuty trucks. Lots of hype. No track record, yet. Lots of big towing number projected. Why a 6.7L engine? Because that makes it bigger than the 6.6L Duramax. Lots of testosterone here, don't you know. Before I bought one I'd remember the old definition of a "pioneer"...that's the guy with the arrows in his back.

Remember that the engine is just part of the drive train and that drive train is underneath a whole bunch of truck. Look at the entire package before you make any decision.

G.

Quote Originally Posted by Foxtrot's View Post
    My friend just bought a ten year old 7.3 - the mechanic we use told her if she did not buy it, he would - they are the best. Heard this time and again.

Ourselves - our Ford 4x4 diesel is a l989 (20 years old) and never given us a minute's trouble. I'd like a newer one, just don't have enough of a reason to go spend the $$.
    Hey, we have a brother to your 1989 Ford! It is the 7.3 in a Dually one-ton, crewcab truck. Has been the best truck for all those years. We got it at 6 months old, 15,000 miles on it. Turned over 300,000 last fall on vacation. Still starts easily, drives beautifully. Just a bit tired. Gets between 12-15mph depending on hills or mountains, loaded or unloaded. Non-turbo'd, mechanic says it is the best engine he knows. Just a hauling machine over many years.

We got a real deal on a Nissan Utility truck to replace him with, also a great truck to haul with. I am sure going to miss the Ford though, never left us anyplace in all that time, lots of good memories. Do expect to get the injectors fixed about 135,000, they all just need work then. Otherwise just regular repairs for upkeep. We kept the oil and fluids changed as the book said.

Quote Originally Posted by KellyS View Post
    Arrggghhh....

So my husband and I are on the verge of buying a new(er) truck. We've known we were facing this for awhile and our old truck gave us the high sign this past weekend that the time has come.

All these years we've been exactly on the same page of what we want...Ford 350 diesel. And we have 5 to go look at that fit in our price range. All 2008s with the 6.4L diesel.

Well, after talking with friends, he's now completely convinced that the motors are horrible and wants to get a Chevy or Dodge. And the ones he's found I just hate...can't put my finger on it other than to say I'm a Ford girl through and through.

So is it the truth? Are they really as awful as people say...as awful as the 6.0Ls? We've always totally agreed on equipment--this is the first time we are completely on opposite ends of the spectrum.

Maybe we'll just limp the old Ford along for a bit longer...(1994 with gas engine that has about 200K on it)
    We sold our 96 Ford F250 diesel in December. If it had four doors we would have kept it, but needed more room for our empty nester lab.

We looked at the Fords but instead got a new 09 Dodge 6.7 diesel with a manual tranny. LOVE IT!! The Ford was a work horse, but this truck has power. Its quiet and more maneuverable. Fuel mileage is about the same. Don't discount the newer Dodges.
    Last edited by craz4crtrs; May. 7, 2010 at 11:45 PM. Reason: spelling

[QUOTE=Wooly Wintertime;4852332]Why not go with the '99-03 7.3? Not as new but proven and capable. A lot of people love the 7.3.

QUOTE]

What Wolly Wintertime said. the 7.3 is the best engine of the lot. You can still find these with reasonably low mileage- we have one now that has close to 300K and is still going strong......

I have a 1994 F350 dually diesel with a crew cab for hauling around the kids, as well as the horses.

that's the IH 7.3L engine and it's great. I did have a scored rod which I think is sort of an unpredictable issue and had to rebuild the engine.

however because it's so simple it was a relatively inexpensive procedure ... now I figure I should get another 175,000 miles out of it, if the body doesn't fall apart first!

it's not the edge of the earth, but you can see it from here

Didna read all the replies.

My brothers 1996 F350 Cummins Diesel had more than 350k on it, HARD miles, he drives Tonka Toys for a living and would often hook up to the flatbed trailers and MOVE a lot of that equipment... He also is a speed demon on the highway and would go for months commuting 100mi one way to a job site... He sold it to a guy who planned to use it to haul his antique car around the country to shows.

Two trannies... ONE engine.

I always tell Tess The Truck (my F150) That I expect her to live up to my big brother's standards.
    InnisFailte Pinto Sporthorses & Coloured Cobs
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bits are like cats, what's one more? (Petstorejunkie)

Quote Originally Posted by Lucassb View Post
    Another vote for the 7.3L diesel...if you can find one for sale.

Mine is a '99, SRW, supercab, long bed. Has about 105k miles on it now, just getting broken in, really. I have had zero problems with it, and the reliability is a big deal to me, as I am almost always by myself when hauling... it pulls my 2+1 GH with an extended dressing room with no difficulty at all, in fact I sometimes do that extra glance in the rearview mirror to make sure it's still back there, LOL.

A friend of mine who is a pro rider/dealer has one of the newer ones (an '08 maybe?) It's a beautiful truck, and he has hauled his 6 horse with it all over the US with no problems.

Personally I have always had very, very good luck with Fords and prefer them. Every time I take my truck in for routine maintenance, the mechanic there reminds me that if I ever want to sell, he wants to be the first in line. He's wasting his time, of course. They will have to pry those keys out of my cold, dead hands.
    My cold dead hands, too! I have an '99 F250 7.3 Super Duty Power Stroke and it hasn't given me any problems. I've only got about 75K on mine, though.

If you don't plan on hauling a lot, then any old truck will do. If you plan on abusing the hell out of it, then I wouldn't have anything but a Ford. I've been hauling with them for 40 years, my father still has one, as did his father before him. I would easily put 150,000 or more miles on a Ford in less than 5 years with narry a hiccup.

I'm not so picky about my cars, but when it comes to trucks, I'll never have anything but a Ford. The Ford 150 is the best selling vehicle overall for a reason.

We have a '99 F250 7.3 Crew cab with 270,000 miles on it - nicely broken in - pulls across the mountain like its pulling down the highway - GREAT!

As someone said earlier, you take care of it and it will take care of you!
    Last edited by KnKShowmom; May. 9, 2010 at 08:52 AM.

We own a 1995 Dodge Cummins 5.9 diesel. Absolutely love this truck. NEVER had a minute of problems with it and we have over 350,000 km on it now and still going strong! I expect to replace it in 10 years or so but not sooner. The body is in excellent shape and the only fix I have had to do was to replace a windshield due to a stone chip.....and a set of tires twice. I so wish they still made this engine...I don't know what will be available in 2020?
    Last edited by cherham; May. 9, 2010 at 08:47 AM. Reason: I can't add..... :)