The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Conformation critique? I mean, really go for it.

Okay, I've posted about this one all over the place and you've all been very patient with me, but I can't seem to shake my huge crush on him. It's actually not at all possible for me to get him (studying overseas), and I'm hoping he'll be long gone by the time I get back State-side.

Until then, please please please put me out of my misery!!! Tell me about how his feet are too small and he's going to develop navicular, that his legs don't have enough bone, he has long pasterns, or that he won't hold up to eventing because his ears are too cute. Better yet, tell me that you're going to buy him (or already have!) but I can come and feed him cookies once in a while Otherwise, I'm just going to moon and sigh and pay way too much money to watch his old race videos on equibase when I should be studying for exams.

In particular, I'm looking at soundness concerns and athleticism (weakish hip perhaps?)

http://www.canterusa.org/index.php?o...&directory=305
    The wind of heaven is that which blows between a horse's ears. ~ Arabian Proverb

Okay, I'll play.

1. Over at the knees.
    2. Dip in front of the withers.
    3. Slight roach back.
    4. Not yet gelded.

What a sweet face, though. I can see why you like him.

Looking at his charts I wouldn't pay to watch him race (they were really overreaching with that Starter Allowance.)

I don't have a problem with him being intact, or the skinny neck (they don't look like overbent warmbloods, they don't NEED to muscle the top of their neck for racing.) There's just nothing about him that leaps out and makes me say WOW! For the price they want? Nothing jumps up and down and says buy me. ($2500 stallion prospect? Are they kidding? To breed what? Really slow racehorses? Just because he's got Pleasant Colony and Unbridled doesn't mean he's worth breeding.)

and he is a yucky brown color.

Ok I am going to be real harsh here...

His left eye is lower than his right ....

His mane is split and we all know what a b**ch that is to train and braid over....

LOL

He has some flaws but still he is handsome!

Quote Originally Posted by danceronice View Post
    Looking at his charts I wouldn't pay to watch him race (they were really overreaching with that Starter Allowance.)
    Actually I'd be interested to hear thoughts on that claiming race on August 3, 2009-- it says he tired and pulled up about 2/3 of the way around, and that there was a stewards' inquiry. Is this normal? If he were injured would they state that specifically or is this the standard report? It looks a little suspicious to me, especially as he was then sold and didn't race for another 4 months or so. Then again I don't know anything about the track.
    The wind of heaven is that which blows between a horse's ears. ~ Arabian Proverb

I don't think the stewards' inquiry had anything to do with him. Looks like on the chart the win and place horses drifted and bumped so there was probably an inquiry (it says into the stretch drive, and Split City wasn't involved at that point). Possibly show and fourth as well. I don't SEE anything that looks like he was off, but possibly the jockey thought so--the horse obviously ran out of gas, that's for sure. I don't see anything in either the pan or the headon view of the race that's obvious. And his sale photos don't show any obvious bows or ankles, but that doesn't mean much.

The gap could be an injury, but as he was sold privately I would GUESS it wasn't severe as he wouldn't have much value to a racing owner with a serious injury. It looks like his new owners also dropped him back down to the $5000 claimers, where he'd been competitive.

It's all conjecture--if you were seriously interested I would absolutely ask for details and get a good PPE on him with x-rays. And try to talk them down--there's nothing about his race record or his looks that warrants that price tag.

I've got a friend with a TB like this. I mean, REALLY like this. Almost a conformational twin. Who was also too slow to race. And he. can. jump. Like 4'10" from a standstill as a 3 year old. But that's probably not helping.
    "I is Roxie!" yep.

Ride on, ride on. All the bad things are gone.

Northern Virginia, 45 minutes east of paradise - 2 hrs during rush hour

can anyone comment on his stifle? It looks like a straight line from his belly to his hock. It really looks odd.

otherwise, I LIKE him :-) Although, the price is bit high for a horse that will need to be gelded.
    Last edited by Stacie; May. 6, 2010 at 03:30 PM.
    "The mighty oak is a nut who stood its ground"

"...you'll never win Olympic gold by shaking a carrot stick at a warmblood..." see u at x

I think he is quite nice. I don't think he is over at the knee unless that poster is using a different definition than I am. To me over at the knee means bucked forward, not front legs angled under.Any horse can look that way( the latter) if not stood up well.

I'd like to see his neck and head out straight in line with his body.

His neck may be his weakest point,conformationally speaking, but hard to tell from that photo.

(ed: Ok nevermind I see more photos there now.)
    Last edited by egontoast; May. 6, 2010 at 10:08 PM.

How about feet? In every picture there is at least one that looks bizarrely small to me-- and then it seems to look fine from another angle! Most TBs I know have hoof-related lameness... maybe everyone I know has bad luck with them, but it's conditioned me to be very way of TB hooves. Do you think his feet are disproportionately small?

Really I thought his legs and feet looked OK. Sort of goosey rumped, and a common neck which ties into his shoulder too low, but otherwise a nicely balanced horse. I've seen a lot worse and less attractive.
    Why is it that a woman will forgive homicidal behavior in a horse, yet be highly critical of a man for leaving the toilet seat up?
    ~ Dave Barry

Egon, he still looks over at the knee to me, although mildly. Here is a definition for you:

"This leg [referencing illustration] is over at the knee, where the lower leg appears set back in comparison to the forearm above the knee. In some cases, this can be so severe that the horse appears to be about to buckle over at the knee, although this won't happen and horses with this conformation are usually able to perform quite adequately."

Link with illustration here.

FWIW, I don't think he's over at the knee at all. He is just stood up strangely in that first picture.

LF hoof does look a little smaller in a couple of shots.

Quote Originally Posted by Stacie View Post
    can anyone comment on his stifle? It looks like a straight line from his belly to his hock.
    I thought a straight line from elbow to stifle was a good thing and another way to tell if a horse is level and NOT downhill... If a horse is higher in the stifle than the elbow, I thought that meant he was built "downhill" regardless of withers to croup level. Am I making this up?

ETA: OK just kidding. I looked again and he is not quite even from elbow to stifle and looks a little high behind in that last shot.

I think he's lovely. A little gangly, but I'm sure he'll look even more stunning as he ages.
    Last edited by acking01; May. 6, 2010 at 04:48 PM. Reason: looked again

Each photo looks like a different horse. Just goes to show, set the horse up properly, for crying out loud.

Don't care for his neck but overall, nothing is glaringly wrong with the horse. I do like the fact that he's not high-hocked like so many of the OTTBs, nor is he built significantly downhill.

What's the cost of gelding these days? It's been a couple of years for me, but I seem to recall that it's not insignificant.

I do think you can do better for the asking price.

I saw goose-rumped and a short neck. I wondered about back at the knee but he doesn't look officially bad there.

If he's sound, a nice boy and less money, then why not? You could probably enjoy him for a long time depending on the job you give him.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

The pics are not flattering or taken at a proper perspective with the horse set up correctly.

You could make a stellar horse look like dog poo with crappo pics. Really can't comment....what do YOU think?
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

Northern Virginia, 45 minutes east of paradise - 2 hrs during rush hour

Quote Originally Posted by acking01 View Post
    FWIW, I don't think he's over at the knee at all. He is just stood up strangely in that first picture.

LF hoof does look a little smaller in a couple of shots.

I thought a straight line from elbow to stifle was a good thing and another way to tell if a horse is level and NOT downhill... If a horse is higher in the stifle than the elbow, I thought that meant he was built "downhill" regardless of withers to croup level. Am I making this up?

ETA: OK just kidding. I looked again and he is not quite even from elbow to stifle and looks a little high behind in that last shot.

I think he's lovely. A little gangly, but I'm sure he'll look even more stunning as he ages.
    Haha. I meant the line of his back leg. It looks straight from his belly through his stifle to his hock. But not up and down straight. Just, no angle where his stifle would be.
    "The mighty oak is a nut who stood its ground"

"...you'll never win Olympic gold by shaking a carrot stick at a warmblood..." see u at x

Quote Originally Posted by Stacie View Post
    Haha. I meant the line of his back leg. It looks straight from his belly through his stifle to his hock. But not up and down straight. Just, no angle where his stifle would be.
    Haha. OOps. I get what you're saying now.

I like him. He's immature. Turn him out for a while after you geld him and he'll look like a different horse in 6 months. My last one looked much this in his race photo and Year later he is dead sexy.
    "Kindness is free" ~ Eurofoal
    ---
    The CoTH CYA - please consult w/your veterinarian under any and all circumstances.