The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by carolprudm View Post
    Maybe he will apeal to the reining crowd.
    The reining crowd, like most horse crowds, are very focused in their discipline.
    They can tell in 1.3 seconds after seeing someone start to move their horse if they want to take a second.
    Terrible of reiners to be so bigoted, is is.

Parelli would not pass that first look, he doesn't know anything about reining and it shows right off.
    Parelli was a rodeo bareback rider and I am sure he can tell, first jump out of a chute, if someone really can ride barebacks.
    Goes with the territory, no matter what you do, to know who knows what they are doing, who is bluffing.

I wonder if this means Linda will be demonstrating her infamous "wiggle wiggle wiggle clunk" technique for the masses?

Most competent horse people in the USA don't take him seriously. I don't know why any of the international visitors at the WEG would think any more of him.
    Please copy and paste this to your signature if you know someone, or have been affected by someone who needs a smack upside the head. Lets raise awareness.

Fortunately being a completely gullible dipshit is a trait found worldwide. For Mr Happy and Mrs Horsebeater it's a huge PT Barnum opportunity - all paid for by the ticketholders!
    EDDIE WOULD GO

This may be a interesting opportunity for the new to horses folk to compare riders/trainers. They will see high caliber riding from all over the world, and then compare it to PP's silliness. Hopefully the majority will see the light.
    "Your best can be worn at any length"- Jason Mraz

Quote Originally Posted by nickers@dawn View Post
    This may be a interesting opportunity for the new to horses folk to compare riders/trainers. They will see high caliber riding from all over the world, and then compare it to PP's silliness. Hopefully the majority will see the light.
    That's a good point. When the P's are running their own travelling sideshow, it's easier for them to "shine" because the audience has nothing better to compare it to.

Unless, of course, LP decides to dazzle the world with her version of "dressage."
    Please copy and paste this to your signature if you know someone, or have been affected by someone who needs a smack upside the head. Lets raise awareness.

How does someone like PP get a spot at WEG? Does he pay them or the other way around?

I'm also sort of surprised that the Brits entertain the American NH showmen at all. I do see how the rhetoric of "natural" might sound good to a population that has long been really into adoring their animals. But because that's true, why are they impressed with the ankle-deep knowledge so many of these NH types have?
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

Maybe he will apeal to the reining crowd.
    Erm let me see, Dr Mr G is a reiner/cutter.

Dr Mr G says: OhHEYULLno!
    Michael: Seems the people who burned me want me for a job.
    Sam: A job? Does it pay?
    Michael: Nah, it's more of a "we'll kill you if you don't do it" type of thing.
    Sam: Oh. I've never liked those.

Pat Parelli is P.T. Barnum reincarnated....
    I had the fortune to be at Western States Expo in 2002 and he was so loud in the trade show that other exhibitors had to ask management to get him to be quiet.
    I know a western cowboy clinician who hit it the nail on the head when he said that Parelli's and othe 'star' named clinicians are merely marketing magicians...star power not the power of knowledge.
    Shovels should be handed out to the spectators at most of these 'star' named clinicians shows.....
    It makes life interesting for the clinicians who are really horsemen and horsewome.
    www.hartetoharte.org
    Ask and allow, do not demand and force.

It's just so embarrassing..... Having worked for a German/European company, it is hard to take the European attitude that Americans are just plain stupid. I suffered under that for years as the American head of a German firm.

This just reinforces that opinion. I think we should protest.

Quote Originally Posted by Grataan View Post
    Erm let me see, Dr Mr G is a reiner/cutter.

Dr Mr G says: OhHEYULLno!
    I was thinking Anky
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

Default "This Way to the Egress. . ."

Quote Originally Posted by spirithorse View Post
    Pat Parelli is P.T. Barnum reincarnated....
    I had the fortune to be at Western States Expo in 2002 and he was so loud in the trade show that other exhibitors had to ask management to get him to be quiet.
    I know a western cowboy clinician who hit it the nail on the head when he said that Parelli's and othe 'star' named clinicians are merely marketing magicians...star power not the power of knowledge.
    Shovels should be handed out to the spectators at most of these 'star' named clinicians shows.....
    It makes life interesting for the clinicians who are really horsemen and horsewome.
    Someone on another horse forum brought up something they observed at a horse expo that they found a sad "sign of the times."

One clinician, an accomplished rider and trainer, did a fabulous riding clinic but attendance was relatively low. Basically, the audience was made up of dedicated people who were looking for ways to improve their own riding.

At the same expo, there was a high-profile NH guru. And, you guessed it, the stands were PACKED with people while he demonstrated his "magic" and tricks. There was no real teaching, just a lot of talking.

I've seen similar things, where starry-eyed followers of a particular guru will line up for an hour just to get an autograph. They're almost all holding some type of overpriced, newly-purchased contraption or gimmick from that guru's trade show booth.

I'm a little embarassed to hear that the WEG is even bringing in the Parelli sideshow. . .

I was thinking Anky
    Remember, in reining they score the horse, not rider.
    The horse gets points added or subtracted for every movement, no matter how correct or less effective the rider.
    A great horse does make any rider look good.
    A top horse will still need skillful riding to bring their talent out.

You have to know what you are doing riding a reiner, just as with any other we do.
    Pat Parelli, obvious just by how he picks the reins and ask a horse to move, doesn't, not by today's very technical standards.
    To become good at reining you really have to spend years and ride many horses to shine, it is not as easy as it looks.

When someone has been at it barely over three years and as a side line, as Anky has and she is doing better every day, she deserves credit for it, not be made fun of because she is not a professional reiner, yet.

I suspect the WEG would bring in ANYONE if they thought it might sell some tickets.
    Visit Sonesta Farms website at www.sonestafarms.com or our FaceBook page at www.facebook.com/sonestafarms. Also showing & breeding Cavalier King Charles Spaniels.

Money talks, and the followers have supplied the Ps with enough to buy an expensive sideshow pitch in order to feed their very large egos.
    ... _. ._ .._. .._

I don't know about the WEG, but many such events sell the booths and spots to clinicians.
    Clinicians consider it advertising expenses, just as they do buying time on RFD-TV for their infomercials.

While, obviously WEG will attract a lot of knowledgeable horsemen and women, the main masses will be horse lovers with limited riding knowledge and a lot of dreaming. PP appeals to them.

Nevertheless, WEG is going to be a spectacular place to visit. The first time on American soile, in wonderful horse infused Lexington where they are pulling out all the stops to make it a success. Anybody would be fortunate to go there (wish I could afford it.)

Quote Originally Posted by JollyBadger View Post

One clinician, an accomplished rider and trainer, did a fabulous riding clinic but attendance was relatively low. Basically, the audience was made up of dedicated people who were looking for ways to improve their own riding.

At the same expo, there was a high-profile NH guru. And, you guessed it, the stands were PACKED with people while he demonstrated his "magic" and tricks. There was no real teaching, just a lot of talking.

I've seen similar things, where starry-eyed followers of a particular guru will line up for an hour just to get an autograph. They're almost all holding some type of overpriced, newly-purchased contraption or gimmick from that guru's trade show booth.

I'm a little embarassed to hear that the WEG is even bringing in the Parelli sideshow. . .
    This always happens when novice riders think that they can shortcut the process of learning to ride with gimmicks. It takes a while before you realize how really hard this is - especially for adult beginners. They watch an accomplished rider with the 10,000 hours and it just "looks" so easy.

The guru's know this and capitalize on the ignorance and desire to accomplish this right away. Hence the popularity of the "break your horse,wave the magic wand, join up in 10 minutes crowd". Remember the part about a sucker born every minute. In the horse world that number expands rather quickly.

The P's are only one of a large number of exhibitors, COTH is also on the list
    http://www.alltechfeigames.com/trade...st.aspx?id=326

http://www.alltechfeigames.com/trade...st.aspx?id=330
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

Quote Originally Posted by Coreene View Post
    Well, they've gotta sell those overpriced tickets somehow, so maybe they thought turning into a big pepperoni wankfest was the way.

Best

Ever

FMO:OMG I almost put my eye out hunting clique.

To anyone going to WEG. Will you kindly note attendance at PP? Sorry to ask.

I'd be really curious to see if attendance at that event, given its intended audience is different from some trade show like Equine Affaire.

It's not that novices buy hype over genuine training or horsemanship or saddle time. It's that they don't know that they don't know the difference.

I'm amazed by wankfests like Equine Affaire. IMO, it turned to crap several years ago... and has gotten more and more crowded since. All I can say is that either beginners come out in force while others stay home OR everyone comes out in proportion and the bug glut of people at the clueless bottom really represents riding's demography in the US.

Statisticians want to know.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat