The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default The Siamese Meet the Horses Up Close

My mower is in the shop, has been for too long already, still should be for at least another week, possibly more. They are in rush season at the mower shop. So with the grass having aspirations to star in a Hitchcock movie after all the rain recently, I turned to organic lawn mowing. The yard is fenced on 3 sides anyway; I added a few strands of hot wire on the fourth side and constructed a "gate" across the driveway made up of my truck and an extension ladder. They absolutely aren't out there when I'm not home, nor at night, but there is plenty of grass in a large yard to keep them munching. Nobody's interested in testing the fence.

My two Siamese, strictly indoor cats, have of course seen the horses - at a distance in the pasture. When the focus suddenly zoomed to within a foot outside the window, they were fascinated! Well, one was fascinated (the one who looks like she wants a ride). HRH Rosalind, who objects to anything new or different on principle, was ticked.

This picture just cracks me up. Each Meezer so aptly demonstrating their different personalities, while the horse directly outside is occupied with much more important matters of grass and isn't even noticing the cats.

http://s276.photobucket.com/albums/k...Pixie05051.jpg

And here's my silver boy, the colt of the eternally pricked ears, saying hi in the office window.

http://s276.photobucket.com/albums/k...ndow050510.jpg

Very cute pics! I have two boy Meezer's (a Siamese and a Balinese) and a little domestic shorthair that was a stray. If a horse were ever looking in the window, Sadie (the shorthair) would totally have a cow while Oli and Bodie (Meezers) looked at her like, "Seriously? What's the problem? Uh, horse...your head is blocking our sunlight!"

Caitlin
    Caitlin
    *OMGiH I Loff my Mare* and *My Saddlebred Can Do Anything Your Horse Can Do*
    http://community.webshots.com/user/redmare01

Very interesting, they are all saying.

Our house cats were very different, one a very old siamese, the other a long hair, very lazy marmelade and the other a blue striped half siamese, half alien, don't know from which planet.

They had different ways to approach any horse we grazed in the yard.
    The half alien was the meeter and greeter, rubbing all around horse legs and muzzle if she could reach it, the siamese looking offended and the long hair just sitting there like "what are you all talking about, I don't see a horse in the yard".

Cute picture! My kitty and my boyfriend's cats LOOOOVE to sniff me after I've been to the barn. "Mmmm....you smell like...herbivore!"
    Stay me with coffee, comfort me with chocolate, for I am sick of love.

it's not the edge of the earth, but you can see it from here

Great pics... I can just SEE the tail twitching on the one...

OK, the silver colt is finally looking more silver than lavender. I'll let you get away with that now.
    InnisFailte Pinto Sporthorses & Coloured Cobs
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bits are like cats, what's one more? (Petstorejunkie)

He is definitely silvery in the flesh. Although I think we did manage to go through every color of the rainbow getting there. There were plenty of times that he looked like he was painted by an assembly of blind chimpanzees with brushes and a whole spectrum of colors to dip into. I found his first birthday pictures recently while looking for something else. I came THAT close to deleting them. Can we just skip that birthday in the life chronicle?

In his current incarnation, he absolutely reflects. I love watching moonlight bounce off him in the pasture at night. What you notice first, though, is the ears. Always up. Always bright and perky and ready to do something. He is exactly like his face looks like.

Speaking of coat shades, here's another shot I got of him today that I thought was kind of neat.

http://s276.photobucket.com/albums/k...aded050810.jpg

Owning a meezer I can only shudder at the amount of noise two of them looking at a horse must make. It's kind of like owning a dog without the pooping outside. A noisy dog.

it's not the edge of the earth, but you can see it from here

My cats are DEFINITELY more noisy than the dogs. I *adore* the litte chirps and chatter though. I've only had one other 'talker' and forgot how much I love it.

Except when I'm working back-to-back 12's.

Very cool pic DT!
    InnisFailte Pinto Sporthorses & Coloured Cobs
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bits are like cats, what's one more? (Petstorejunkie)

Windward Farm, Washougal, WA- our work in progress, our money pit, our home!

Very cute. We have two flame point boys who rarely venture into the barn, where they are intimidated by the horses, but adore the chickens! They spent time as kittens "stalking" the big hens, which was terribly amusing.

I've "fenced" the backyard as well, when the grass was too nice to waste on the mower The boys love to eat roses, so I have to be mean and only give them part of the area. I use white electric tape, but not electrified. Fools those two oldsters every time.
    Proud member of the "Don't rush to kill wildlife" clique!

I am owned by 7 Siamese-known here as the Siamese Mafia.They are indoor only cats but have a huge screened in porch for fresh air... they spend most of their days sprawled out there.
    Once I rode my Arab very close past the screening-and was greeted by 7 siamese pinecones the size of baskeballs. I don't think they had ever seen him up close before

http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o...fiaonbreak.jpg
    the NOT!! Spoiled!! Arabian Protectavest poster pony lives on in my heart http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o...pscc2a5330.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by macmtn View Post
    I am owned by 7 Siamese-known here as the Siamese Mafia.They are indoor only cats but have a huge screened in porch for fresh air... they spend most of their days sprawled out there.
    Once I rode my Arab very close past the screening-and was greeted by 7 siamese pinecones the size of baskeballs. I don't think they had ever seen him up close before

http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o...fiaonbreak.jpg

Very cute! Are they related in any way? They all have the same look about them...even more so than most Siamese!

Caitlin
    Caitlin
    *OMGiH I Loff my Mare* and *My Saddlebred Can Do Anything Your Horse Can Do*
    http://community.webshots.com/user/redmare01

I have a single Meeser (and only half at that) but she is the loudest cat I have ever had. She is also the sweetest and acts like a little purring lap dog. My cats have never seen horses and I am pretty sure that 3 of the 4 would stroke out, while the 4th would attempt to take down the prey.

Quote Originally Posted by RedMare01 View Post
    Very cute! Are they related in any way? They all have the same look about them...even more so than most Siamese!

Caitlin
    Yes! the 7 are the parents and 5 kittens. We were only gonna keep 2...then only gonna give 2 away...then...they all stayed here. Hubbie had a weak heart for losing his kittens...
    the NOT!! Spoiled!! Arabian Protectavest poster pony lives on in my heart http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o...pscc2a5330.jpg

Have 3 indoor cats...One Siamese (my favourite, she's the sweetest), a Havana brown boy (like a brown brick with legs and green eyes) and a long-haired rescue little girl. They all love the smell of the barn when I get home. I brought a halter fleece home and it was a hit with all 3 of them. They'd carry it around like they were mighty hunters.

The siamese' most often is mumbling to herself as she walks arounds...sounds like an "Old Katherine Hepburn" imitation.
    "Sic Gorgiamus Allos Subjectatos Nunc"

Horse is not at home, so my 4 house cats have not met any equines. However, they love anything that comes from the barn and smells horsey. Have a great picture (at home?) of a cat sleeping inside a shipping boot.
    I tolerate all kinds of animal idiosyncrasies.
    I've found that I don't tolerate people idiosyncrasies as well. - Casey09

Siamese are great cats. I drove to Culpeper, VA to get my guy, from these folks.
    A side benefit, I found some really cool horse parks out in Culpepper. I'm planning on going back some day for one of their events.