The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Schleese Dressage Saddle

I am looking at used saddles and am intrigued by some Schleese saddles billed as "adjustable". Has anyone used these saddles with horses built in very different ways with success? I understand that a fitter has to adjust them (no doing this between rides, just between horses) but does the adjustment work well? How about comfort and position - do you owners have long term success with these saddles? Any other brand suggestions for a VERY long legged rider who changes horses frequently?

I love my Schleese! Mine is adjustable and last year I went from riding a tall, narrow TB to a short, fat Fjord. I didn't have to buy a new saddle! I just had mine adjusted and it has worked equally well for both horses. That's pretty adjustable if you ask me.

I have had several and love them. My current is 10 years old and looks great. They make different models for different body shapes (rider that is), so if you decide to look seriously at Schleese I would highly recommend talking to one of their fitters and going to a fitting session. The trees are 100% adjustable, over and over from my experience, along with flocking etc. The thigh blocks on my current saddle are also completely adjustable. Overall, I've been very happy, with good care, at how well the saddles wear - and now I'm not buying something new every time my horse changes.

I searched high and low and tried many, many saddles and ended up with a Schleese. I got a wonderful deal on eBay - I'm surprised they are going so cheap right now. My trainer was floored when i showed her my "new to me" Schleese and the price I paid. I love, love, love it. The tree is adjustable to fit any horse, however you must have either a Schleese saddle fitter or some other Master Saddle fitter to fit you and your horse. The models differ and what I like, you may not due to our own body type. I have the older CHB model and it was the first saddle that fit my horse and me perfectly.

I love my schleeses. I currently have two of them. A Wave and a CHB. The Wave is seated back further, while the CHB has more of a centered seat. I find that both of them work well for a variety of horses.

As far as fit, once you locate your schleese fitter, and are comfortable with them, the sky is the limit! Really I've only had great experiences with them fitting both of my saddles to young undeveloped horses to older FEI horses, to slab sided horses... they are really good! And both saddles look great still!

Actually... the fitter is coming out on Sunday! I'm sure I'll be posting on my blog all about it. And if I'm ambitious enough adding a video of the fitting experience as well. So if you're curious, check back on Monday or so!
    http://dressageesquire.blogspot.com
    "The ability to write a check for attire should not be confused with expertise. Proficiency doesn't arrive shrink-wrapped from UPS and placed on your doorstep."

Mine was custom made to fit my stallion who has BIG shoulders. It allows freedom no other saddle was able to give us. Mine has Flair which took a bit getting used to, but allows it to semi fit a multitude of horses comfortably without additional adjustments.
    "It's not how good you ride, It's how good your horse covers for you." -Kristan
    Magic Rose Farm- home of Beste Gold & Hot Shot
    Beste Gold & Offspring on Facebook
    Magic Rose Farm Warmbloods on FB

Love them! The difference in the way the horses work after an adjustment is amazing. Well worth the money.

I got my schleese used and the girl who had it before rode a fat qh/paint. They brought the saddle to me and I tried it on my skinny TB with long/high withers, saddle fit me and worked for him after a couple adjustments. Now my TB after one week in this saddle is floating on air. His shoulders are free and his back is loose, today I got him so deep into the bridle I couldn't believe how big I could get his movement to be. That saddle is worth it's weight in gold I am so happy and the reps were so wonderful and helpful. Definatly worth every penny!
    No Worries!

Quote Originally Posted by Auto Be A Storm View Post
    I got my schleese used and the girl who had it before rode a fat qh/paint. They brought the saddle to me and I tried it on my skinny TB with long/high withers, saddle fit me and worked for him after a couple adjustments. Now my TB after one week in this saddle is floating on air. His shoulders are free and his back is loose, today I got him so deep into the bridle I couldn't believe how big I could get his movement to be. That saddle is worth it's weight in gold I am so happy and the reps were so wonderful and helpful. Definatly worth every penny!

Did the Schleese reps come to you with used saddles for you to try? I'm curious as I'm thinking of selling one, and have never done the e-bay thing before. I think if Schleese will take it and sell it for me that would be much easier!

they will take your used schleese saddles, but I don't think you end up getting the best prices for them, and tend to get a better price if you're trading them in for another schleese saddle.
    "The ability to write a check for attire should not be confused with expertise. Proficiency doesn't arrive shrink-wrapped from UPS and placed on your doorstep."

Wow, timely thread for me. I just purchased a wonderful used Schleese yesterday! I have been looking for a dressage saddle for about 2 1/2 years. Talk about frustrating. It is a custom about 10 years old. I've been riding in a close contact and always had real problems making the adjustment to a dressage saddle. Not with this one! The leather is exqusite. I'm excited to find out more about Schleese saddles and a bit more about mine. I know she has ridden through Grand Prix in it, so I'm sure it will help me while I'm bee bopping through Training level and upwards. Nothing but good things to say, and I'm glad my search is finally over. Thank you Schleese!

Wink

Love mine- recently sold a horse and had the saddle adjusted to the new horse- no problem- great service and the horse moves fabbo!! the free shoulders and lack of going too far into the kidney area really makes the horses move well- the new types are super comfy for the riders....can't say enough good things about them...
    "the man mite be the head but the woman is the neck and the neck can turn the head any way she wants..." -smart greek woman

Success with your horse will depend on your fitter. In my experience they are very heavy saddles and my thighs feel the drop-off at the edge of the seat. I enjoy where they put my body but find the seat to be hard and the twist edge to be uncomfortable.

Add me to the "Love mine" list!

I have a Wave and it fits me beautifully!
    I had it changed from a big, wide boy to a tiny, petite girl with no problems.

Arathita, You can have the twist and/or seat on your Schleese changed. Schleese will open up the saddle and alter it however you like, but you will need to send it back to Canada or give it to a rep to take back with her. I have a Wave with the shoulder relief panels. I don't like much of a block and Schleese doesn't make a small block so I use the Bates Isabelle blocks on it and it's perfect for my long thigh. LOVE my Schleese! (and so does my horse)
    "You post all your drama on Facebook and get mad when people judge you? You're a special kind of stupid, aren't you?"

Yes they came to our barn with that saddle, but I was eyeing the same saddle on ebay too!!!
    No Worries!

Schleese no longer sells their own saddles on consignment. You are best to sell them yourself or find a rep that will do it for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Fire_fly View Post
    Schleese no longer sells their own saddles on consignment. You are best to sell them yourself or find a rep that will do it for you.
    The rep that came of us had a lot of consignment saddles?
    No Worries!

Well, I just called them last week and they informed me they do have reps that will sell consignment saddles but they no longer keep and inventory and sell them from their store like they used to. So, the reps that sell Schleese may work out their own consignment deals with people.

the rep that just came out had a whole van full of saddles

I posted about my whole addle fit experience here if you're curious:

http://dressageesquire.blogspot.com/...e-fitting.html