The Chronicle of the Horse

The queue has been updated.

Default (Sigh) Still another *throwaway* horse....

http://washingtondc.ebayclassifieds....me/?ad=1683834

What is it with some owners where they only suddenly have all this financial hardship when it comes to wanting to be rid of some poor 30 something horse? I suspect they just want to free up a stall, or a spot in a scrubby pasture. One has to wonder if these same sorts would be so cash strapped if the horse was some young sound, useful and talented steed?

I dunno, just venting I suppose. I just hate to see these type of ads. If they don't love the horse enough to keep or euth it, how can they expect some stranger to want to care for it until its natural demise? Ugh.

I know, I have a dear friend who I saw just placed an ad for her 29 year old horse. Broke my heart. I talked to hubby about taking him, hubby says while he would like to help him, we just don't have room or resourses to have another pasture pet. We have my blind gelding Dusty and we just had to put down Babydoll Feb as her heaves had gotten so bad and her gimpy hip was hurting more and she was laying down more. She was 29 when we put her down. We had her for 3 years, took her out of a bad situation, put meat on her bones and she stayed out in a nice pasture rather than cooped up in a barn coughing.

I emailed her to put him down, that there is no telling where he would end up. I love that horse, used to ride him when we boarded together, he was a fun, fun ride and a nice size!
    I want a signature but I have nothing original to say except: "STHU and RIDE!!!

Wonderful COTHER's I've met: belleellis, stefffic, snkstacres and janedoe726.

I hate these kind of ads, too. I really hope the owners are sincere when they say the horse has to go to a "good home." I'd much rather call the vet than send a horse indirectly to the meat man.

On a more positive note, I recently rode a 29-year-old QH who didn't look or act a day over 15 and kept trying to gallop past the younger horses. Hopefully this horse is in that sort of shape.
    "Go on, Bill — this is no place for a pony."

they are the ones you want because the others you have to watch out for

My friend took in two older ladies both former show Quarter Horses. One is 29 and the other is 34; she still lightly trail rides both. She loves old horses! She's going to take in a couple boarders to keep the one company when she rides because one gets very upset when she leaves to trail ride the other.

I don't get why that ad stresses the horse's papers. "She was registered upon birth through The American Quarter Horse Association. Paper work can be provided upon pick up. Scanned copy can be sent via email upon request." So what? She's 29 years old. Is the new owner likely to breed or show her?

Default Hummm good point!

Quote Originally Posted by Nin View Post
    I don't get why that ad stresses the horse's papers. "She was registered upon birth through The American Quarter Horse Association. Paper work can be provided upon pick up. Scanned copy can be sent via email upon request." So what? She's 29 years old. Is the new owner likely to breed or show her?
    This gives me an idea. The breed associations could start a division at their shows that features, and rewards the oldsters. A competition where the older the better, and the best kept horse wins. The prize money could be substantial, enough to pay for a few years worth of special care for said horse. What an incentive! They could tack a dollar onto the entry fees of all the breed classes, to go towards this pot for the old guys. I'm dreaming here, but really, wouldn't it be great to give owners of antique horses an incentive to really care for their loyal friends past their prime? And every entry gets some money, even the last placed.

I think some people really do have to get rid of their horses due to financial hardships and don't have any other option. In this economy, they probably aren't going to turn around and buy a "young, sound, useful, and talented steed." The two cost the same amount to take care of.

My aunt just had to get rid of her 27 year old mare because she's losing her house and they have to go live in a trailer in Minnisota with her in-laws. She really, really loved this mare and tried everything to find a home for her. I could see her putting an ad like this up.

Fortunately, my parents were able to give the mare a home. I was glad they didn't have to euth her. She's a sweet old thing.

Quote Originally Posted by ILuvmyButtercups View Post
    This gives me an idea. The breed associations could start a division at their shows that features, and rewards the oldsters. A competition where the older the better, and the best kept horse wins. The prize money could be substantial, enough to pay for a few years worth of special care for said horse. What an incentive! They could tack a dollar onto the entry fees of all the breed classes, to go towards this pot for the old guys. I'm dreaming here, but really, wouldn't it be great to give owners of antique horses an incentive to really care for their loyal friends past their prime? And every entry gets some money, even the last placed.

To counter the futurity nightmare?

Sounds like an idea to me!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bristol Bay View Post
    Try setting your broomstick to fly at a lower altitude.
    GNU Terry Prachett

Now wouldn't that be a great idea. I don't even care about the prize. I would love to show my old guy off. It says a lot about a line's quality if the offspring still looks good and can still work as mature adults.

Wouldn't you like to see breeders encouraging their customers to show in this class to promote their breeding program? Wouldn't that be aweseome?

That. Would. Be. Awesome. Even the hunter shows could do it... like maybe "show off your old ex-GP/ hunter derby horse". Wish they actually did this, so I could show off my trainer's old Arabian hunter. She's... 23? 24? and still going strong as far as I know.
    Different flavors of crazy, but totally NUTS. You know its true. - GreyHunterHorse

http://showertimecontemplations.blogspot.com/

I love that idea for the oldsters, maybe call it the Longevity division? I hope the dreamer-upper of that idea will take the proverbial ball and run with it, try to make it happen.
    Jeanie
    RIP Sasha, best dog ever, pictured shortly before she died, Death either by euthanasia or natural causes is only the end of the animal inhabiting its body; I believe the spirit lives on.

It's called Veterans Sweepstakes at specialty (single breed shows) dog shows. There are also Veterans classes, which are pretty much the same, except for the lack of prize money (never very much -- we're talking dog shows here! ).

People tend to be very supportive of veterans and other exhibitors traditionally clap for *every* entrant in the Veterans classes during the individual gaiting, as well as for the whole group on the final go-'round.