The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default WEG prices - OMG

I *finally* talked my husband into doing a horsie-type vacation: we are planning to go to Lexington KY and seeing part of the WEG in late September. Then I looked at ticket prices. For both of us to ONLY go see both halves of the Grand Prix Special and the Freestyle will be over $800!!!! $800 for 4 hours events? Is anyone here planning to go and see more than just a handful of things? We were planning to go for a week, but I really don't want to spend $3000 on tickets!!!

I am simply shocked by the ticket prices!

Gina

Well I look at it this way...

I'm attending the Grand Prix Freestyle ($140)
    Cross Country Eventing ($45)
    Jumping Speed Competition ($60)
    Free Airfair miles ($0)
    Free relative's house ($0)
    My part of car rental ($50)
    Total ($295)

(Yes I will spend more, but we are buying groceries and booze locally). My husband is driving with his friends to Omaha to go to a Tom Petty Concert in a few weeks.

Concert Tickets ($100)
    Golfing during day(fees cart alcohol) (at least $100)
    Hotel (split) ($50)
    Alcohol and food at dinner ($60)
    Total ($310)

He's seen Tom Petty like 3 times now. I've never been to WEG. Honestly, I know everyone is upset about the ticket prices, but I don't think they are really that bad. Many of events are only $45. We (my group of gals) also chose to buy the better seats, so I could have done mine cheaper.
    Last edited by TrotTrotPumpkn; May. 6, 2010 at 03:07 PM. Reason: bad math...oops!
    Siouxland Sporthorses: http://slsfarm.blogspot.com/

DIY Journey of Remodeling the Farmette: http://weownblackacre.blogspot.com/

My husband and I are going to most of the jumping and it was $$$ not to mention lodging. I booked a hotel several months ago, and even then the Holiday Inn, etc prices were around $500/night were hard to swallow. I finally dug up a tiny motel a short drive away that was more reasonable; afterall we are only sleeping there. I just couldn't swallow those kinds of rates. I know that finding a place to stay is getting very, very difficult unless you have friends in the area.
    Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm."
    --Winston Churchill
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Hills...h/112931293227
    www.HillsideHRanch.com

Default WEG places to stay

A few thoughts, try www.couchsurfing.org, I'm a host, and I love it. Also, my son is at Ft Knox, (Louisville area) and can put someone, or a couple up free if you don't mind a sleeper sofa.
    Rudeness is the weak person's imitation of strength

I will have 5 extra seats for all dressage sessions (except freestyle) that I would be happy to offer at a discount to any Coth members that are in the area and interested in going.

SallyJRider Guest

I wish I could go, but that's pricey. I'll have to find it on TV!

I'm going to Devon with some of my youngsters for the IBC classes we have gotten sponsored this year for our breed. I can buy the videos later and probably see more that way of the WEG for a lot less money! That IS an INSANE amount of money IMO.

Anyone know where you can find the DVDs afterwards??
    Proud Momma:

Imax - Fresstyle x Juventus x Rubinstein
    2014 - Sister to IMAX (hopefully)

Quote Originally Posted by TrotTrotPumpkn View Post
    Well I look at it this way...

I'm attending the Grand Prix Freestyle ($140)
    Cross Country Eventing ($45)
    Jumping Speed Competition ($60)
    Free Airfair miles ($0)
    Free relative's house ($0)
    My part of car rental ($50)
    Total ($295)

(Yes I will spend more, but we are buying groceries and booze locally). My husband is driving with his friends to Omaha to go to a Tom Petty Concert in a few weeks.

Concert Tickets ($100)
    Golfing during day(fees cart alcohol) (at least $100)
    Hotel (split) ($50)
    Alcohol and food at dinner ($60)
    Total ($310)

He's seen Tom Petty like 3 times now. I've never been to WEG. Honestly, I know everyone is upset about the ticket prices, but I don't think they are really that bad. Many of events are only $45. We (my group of gals) also chose to buy the better seats, so I could have done mine cheaper.
    It's not the cost of admission, it's the jacked up hotel prices. I can fly free and also stay for free....in Knoxville TN. I must be out of my mind for even thinking about it
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

Default We're flying in from Argentina...

My husband booked the trip as an aniversary present almost a year ago.
    The tickets were aprox $900 per pax for the whole jumping series (final four included, but no closing ceremony).
    We booked Four Points Sheraton a year ago for $115 a night.
    Our tickets will be purchased through miles, so that's for free, and we can also rent a car on miles too.
    Tickets are pricey (and I have to admit I LOATH the fact that they divide some classes in two so you have to pay twice to see the same qualifier...), but it's a once every four years experience and since it's the first time in America to hold the WEGs, I guess it will be a big extravaganza...
    Hotels were already VERY expensive a year ago (some b&b were charging over $400 a night!!!) and we bought the tickets the day they cleared them for public sale, although I saw some tickets on Ebay over twice the price today...
    Over what hill? Where? When? I don\'t remember any hill....

www.freewebs.com/caballerizadelviso

YEAH to expensive but going to purchase some stuff from there on line

faraway46, I truly don't want to scare you, but I sure do hope the hotel you booked doesn't decide to just "bump" you and sell the room to someone else at the jacked up rates.

I'd contact them again TODAY and get a new confirmation in writing that you have the room booked at that rate, so that you dont' have an unpleasant surprise after flying all that way.

I have known more than one person who has booked rooms very early for a special event like a huge convention (before the hotel realized they could raise rates) only to find when they arrived to check in that the hotel "could find no record of them having made a reservation" and they "were so sorry" etc, etc.
    Visit Sonesta Farms website at www.sonestafarms.com or our FaceBook page at www.facebook.com/sonestafarms. Also showing & breeding Cavalier King Charles Spaniels.

Quote Originally Posted by Sonesta View Post
    faraway46, I truly don't want to scare you, but I sure do hope the hotel you booked doesn't decide to just "bump" you and sell the room to someone else at the jacked up rates.

I'd contact them again TODAY and get a new confirmation in writing that you have the room booked at that rate, so that you dont' have an unpleasant surprise after flying all that way.

I have known more than one person who has booked rooms very early for a special event like a huge convention (before the hotel realized they could raise rates) only to find when they arrived to check in that the hotel "could find no record of them having made a reservation" and they "were so sorry" etc, etc.
    Yup, I tried to use our Hilton Honors (no blackout) points and was told that all the rooms were sold to a travel agency
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

I think a lot of the ticket prices are ridiculous.
    We're spending our money on horses and bourbon. The rest we're just wasting.
    www.dleestudio.com

Chapel Hill and Southern Pines, North Carolina

I booked years ago - dates of jumper week. May have to leave early - anyone want the last three days of jumper week, pm me. Not such bad prices THEN !
    "Her life was okay. Sometimes she wished she were sleeping with the right man instead of with her dog, but she never felt she was sleeping with the wrong dog."

www.dontlookbackfarm.com

Thumbs up Thanks for the heads up...

Quote Originally Posted by Sonesta View Post

...but I just checked on line and my reservaton shows up fine. Guess I'll have to do that every month untill departure time. The written confirmation is a good idea...
    Over what hill? Where? When? I don\'t remember any hill....

www.freewebs.com/caballerizadelviso

I checked out a few hotels..most are booked. I did find the Fairfield Inn (which is located on Man O War blvd) a few miles away from the KHP. I put in from 10/3/10 to 10/10/10 prices are $375.00 ( 2 queen beds) per night to $399.00 ( 1 king suite) the # is 859-977-5870. I hope this helps. PM me if I can help more. Sorry about the crappy way they treated you. KY in usually in the lime light in such negative ways....this is our chance to shine & Sheraton has to mess things up!

Default I'm sick about the $

and I told them so. They wrote back about how expensive it is to do, la...de..da.
    Well, if you can't afford something, stay out of it. It is a very bad business model and they will loose $. They would be much better off to put the prices lower and get more folks there and then for those folks to buy more things when they arrive.
    The worst thing is it's going to be a spectator disaster and then a lot of folks will say ...."see, I told you it would not be supported in the USA".

Quote Originally Posted by paintjumper View Post
    and I told them so. They wrote back about how expensive it is to do, la...de..da.
    Well, if you can't afford something, stay out of it. It is a very bad business model and they will loose $. They would be much better off to put the prices lower and get more folks there and then for those folks to buy more things when they arrive.
    The worst thing is it's going to be a spectator disaster and then a lot of folks will say ...."see, I told you it would not be supported in the USA".
    I agree. It seems Spruce Meadows is the only place in North America that has figured out how to attract "regular" people to spectate their events. WEG is only going to further the general public's belief that everyone involved with horses (in any way, not just at the upper levels) is filthy rich!

My full set of Dressage and opening ceremonies are for sale due to a conflict with another FEI dressage event. DAD has been the same week for decades but the WEGS evidently never knew that! I have primo seats since in good faith I ordered tickets three years ago. They should offer refunds for DAD competitors!!
    Tradition of "Grande" Sporthorse Champions
    Couture Du Jour - Devon Winner '10 & '12 & PHSA Champ '10
    Grande Desire & Impression '08-10 PHSA Champs
    Grande Sovereign -CH & HB Sire