The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Stella Gets Company For The First Time Since Her Foal Was Killed

I spent quite a bit of lost sleep debating about this last night. Lila (Madison's foal) is 3 days off being a month old. We are all leaving here on Monday and I figured it would be best to introduce them in a place they know rather than a new place.

Stella hasn't had a foal since Daphne was killed by that horrible mare. So I didn't know what to expect. And yes, we are never supposed to put our feelings onto horses but still I kept thinking she may be over protective, she may want to set down law straight away. I don't know just too many stupid questions. Her foal Iggy is 3 months of age so she has lost some of the over protectiveness that comes with newborns.

Stella and Iggy are out full time so I enlisted my mother in law to help me getting them in. Plus with Stell out full time she wouldn't be as keen to run and run. Got them in the gate and off they went. Galloping for ages which really just freaks me out. Soon everything calmed down and they were just walking around. At this stage I realzied I was shaking and then I started crying. I don't know why, I just did.

Iggy was the first to try and meet Lila. Madison told him off in a non threatning way like all mares do. And then Stella had a little sniff of Lila and walked away - held my breath for that! Stayed for ages with them. I had a laugh because everyone else was tired at this stage but not Lila. She took off away from everyone and had have her own private gallops.

They are fine but I think it was so much worse for me. Mares got loads of mints for not sending me to an early grave today!

terri
    COTH, keeping popcorn growers in business for years.

"I need your grace to remind me to find my own." Snow Patrol-Chasing Cars. This line reminds me why I have horses.

it's not the edge of the earth, but you can see it from here

At this stage I realzied I was shaking and then I started crying. I don't know why, I just did.
    WE know why you were... can't put words to it--but we know why.

I'm so glad they're getting on. Poor Stella. I think we are lucky that they are much kinder and more forgiving than we are.

Hope the move goes well... when do you pack up and change address?
    InnisFailte Pinto Sporthorses & Coloured Cobs
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bits are like cats, what's one more? (Petstorejunkie)

Glad everything went well. Hope your trip home is safe and uneventful!

Should have clarified, moving to a smaller place here in Ireland before moving back to the States. Foals can't go til the fall anyway. And after days like today I know why I'm moving.
    COTH, keeping popcorn growers in business for years.

"I need your grace to remind me to find my own." Snow Patrol-Chasing Cars. This line reminds me why I have horses.

I know exactly why you were worried. It's a bit of a PTSD thing.

Glad everything went smoothly.
    Horse Show Names Free name website with over 6200 names. Want to add? PM me!

You're brave and I'm so glad it went well. We lost a yearling to a kick from an adult horse and now I never want to integrate "the kids" into the adult herd. Never. Ever. They will be kids when they are 10. No one but me will be able to tell who the kids even are.

I'll get over it but I'll hold my breath and probably cry too.
    Arrange whatever pieces come your way. - Virginia Woolf

Did you know that if you say the word "GULLIBLE" really softly, it sounds like "ORANGES"?