The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Is there Hope for Hope? Pleeeeeeeeease read!

I know this should not be any dog questions and its not. Its sort of horse related because, Hope will not only reside at Sunkissed for the interim, but......... she needs only a Coth home and person so please be a bit tolerant of this very special request. It just doesnt fit anywhere else because only a Coth home will do.

If ever you thought you might like a Sunkissed Cutie, this will be the last one. My heart cant take anymore.

Hope is simply a medium size black dog with a bit of white. She has half a tail and she wants only to be able to wag it in loff. Hope will need a very special person because you see, Hope is blind today. She was picked up when her owner tried to get someone to come out and shoot her. We went to see what we could do. Hope was stumbling around blindly with one eye hanging out and the other was all white, already blinded. She was pregnant. Hope's job in life was as a breeding bitch, because ( hang onto your hats), she is a bobtail. Yes, she was a dog used for breeding purposes because of this what (rarity)? Its all I can do to not attack this backwoods yahoo and rip his eyeballs out.

Hope has just had extensive surgery. She now has one eye for cosmetic reasons and the other is removed. She is spayed, her dewclaws removed as they were a source of nightmare for her as well. Hope is in a small dog kennel till friday, when she will come to live here in hopes that someone will home her. I can spend a bit of time with her and teach her some of the things a blind dog will need to know. At this time, any sudden noises make her duck cause she doesnt know what is happening around her. She is afraid to walk for fear of falling into a hole. She lifts her legs carefully. She reminds me so much of a horse who goes blind suddenly. When you touch Hope, she crawls into your arms in hopes of it being a kind hand. You can figure out for yourselves how Hope came to be hurt the way she was. Blunt trauma to her head, hmmmmmmmmmmmm in an enclosed area. If I did not have the bully dog that I have, Hope would not be looking for a home, she would have found it. Alas, I love my horrible dog.

EAW is going to post a pic of a very special Hope. If you can give this very special dog her final home, please, consider adopting this Sunkissed Angel. Dogs on Death Row has agreed to help out with any medical costs and upkeep with the adoption of any special needs dog. There are a few lovely ones but Hope, well, she is everything a dog symbolizes. Man's best friend.

I cant keep doing the dogs. My heart just cant handle it. Where our horses in this area have it bad, its nothing compared to our dogs. AC is no longer taking in owner surrenders and so, people now have no choice but to abandon there dogs. Then AC will pick them up, if they are lucky. It gets worse and worse.

Please consider Hope. She wont disappoint you if what you are looking for is love.
    Our horses are not seen as the old and disabled they may have become, but rather as the mighty steeds they once believed themselves to be.

Sunkissed Acres Rescue and Retirement

Outside Ocala FL - Horse Capital of the World

Oh, my heart breaks for Hope and for you. I wish I had room at the inn, but I do not, so the best I can do is jingle that you can find a loving forever home for her.

There is no hell hot enough for whoever did this to her.
    There are friends and faces that may be forgotten, but there are horses that never will be. - Andy Adams

Bumps and Jingles for HOPE! Sunkissed dogs are best! My dear Deuce is sleeping beside me.....as always. He is just the coolest dog!

We recently got another senior/senile dog, Ruby Roo. An ancient Basset girl who needed much love. She is old, hard of hearing, certain vision loss, and the sweetest girl you could ever meet. I don't know how long she will be here, but she will have a home for life. She is between 9-10.

Poo on AC there. What else are owners supposed to do with dogs?!? WTF!

Lori, Good Luck! Bumpity bump!

I once saw on TV a blind poodle. The owner leashed him to another dog, who also had a bell on his collar. So the blind dog was "hitched" to his partner. The bell gave him a aural cue as to where the other dog was. The blind dog bounded alongside the sighted dog, stopped when the other did. They looked pretty normal and happy. Sooo, maybe include potential adopters who already have a dog and see if the two get along well enough to "hitch" the two. I think that arrangement may take some of the potential extra work out of adopting a blind dog.

My mom has one blind dog now, all set up for one. How does Hope feel about other dogs? She would have a great home with a great lady. Heidi is a 6 year old GSD who was born blind, she is a sweetheart and loves other dogs. Let me know what you think.

what is EAW, where hope's pic will be posted?

this horror story had made me feel physically ill........i can understand why you cannot continue with this......

can charges be brought against the owner?
    i had a JRT who was blind for her last 15 yrs of her 19yrs with me...i never did too much differently for her, except carry her to go outside, and carry her up out spiral stairs.....BUT, she had gone blind after having lived here for a while, so knew her way around.........however, i couldn;t take her for walks, or along to the kids field hockey games, because, like hope, the strange noises would frighten her, and walking in unknown territory was obviously frightening to her.....
    how would you go about teaching a newly blind dog things?
    is there any way to tell if she gets along with other dogs?
    i'd love to say i'd take her, but pa is faaaaar away, and i doubt the trip would be good for her....
    keep us posted here at coth, or feel free to "burden" me....i recently had a dog flown here from ohio , free of charge, from a rescue there........a sort of angel network that pilots provide....if something like that is available, and you can give me more details, i'd seriously consider it................perhaps there is a hitman willing to work for free and take care of the "owner"

it's not the edge of the earth, but you can see it from here

Thoughts and prayers. Bless you Lori. I've said it before, I could not do it. I love animals too much and hate people too much and would end up in jail myself.

All I can do right now is pray.
    InnisFailte Pinto Sporthorses & Coloured Cobs
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bits are like cats, what's one more? (Petstorejunkie)

I've had 2 blind dogs in my lifetime... When I was a teenager my father took in a totally blind cocker spaniel. A fabulous dog that was with us for 11 years and you'd never ever know she was blind.

Then about 30 years ago we had a blind golden retriever come through golden retriever rescue and which we kept with us.... Again she managed very well and including even going out shooting with me!

I personally think a blind dog is quite easy to manage.... they are just so good with hearing and scent that it tends to work out o.k. I actually think deaf dogs are harder to manage.

I wish you well with your search for someone with a big heart for this dog who deserves better.

Lori can she travel (like with Hiccup?) Might she be ok as a couch potato friend for Petey, the traumatized former hunting dog?

Here is her photo, I'm sorry, I just got it this am. Lori may have sent it before but I have been wallowing in work this week.
    Last edited by equineartworks; May. 23, 2011 at 11:04 PM.
    I Loff My Quarter Horse & I love Fenway Bartholomule cliques

Just somebody with a positive outlook on life...go ahead...hate me for that.

aw that story broke my heart. Massive jingles for her and you. Hoping you find a terrific home for her.

P.

Oh dear, I thought for sure I was going to be claiming this sweet girl as the newest member of our family.

While DD fell in love with her, she isn't sure that she can give her the patience and time she would need. Our little team here runs like a well oiled machine and with all that is going on she thinks Hope deserves a more quiet home than we can give right now.

She is right...sigh...

Go Hope! You are a beauty dearee! You will find the best home here with one of the COTHERS! Deuce agrees! He is stilled curled up beside me! LOL...cool dog.

If I can help with transport, let me know. She deserves the best home!

WTF is wrong with people?!?! Hope's story makes me so sick and angry I can barely stand it. I'm with you pintopiaffe, would take great pleasure in getting my hands on the POS who did this.....

I wish I could give Hope a cuddle and that I didn't have an angry Terrier at home.

Please let us know when Hope gets the home she deserves. And thank you Lori for doing what you do.
    "look deep into his pedigree. Look for the name of a one-of-a-kind horse who lends to his kin a fierce tenacity, a will of iron, a look of eagles. Look & know that Slew is still very much with us."

Dogs from Sunkissed Acres are, truly, the best. My Missy Girl is living proof.... after being abused, beaten and whipped with a leash by men, she has grown to ADORE my husband

Will be praying for a home for Hope verrrrry soon.
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may be given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

Makes me sad that I can't take in a dog right now.
    And everybody I know already has at least one too many, or they should not have a chia pet...

gogogogo HOPE!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bristol Bay View Post
    Try setting your broomstick to fly at a lower altitude.
    GNU Terry Prachett

Quote Originally Posted by ChocoMare View Post
    Dogs from Sunkissed Acres are, truly, the best. My Missy Girl is living proof.... after being abused, beaten and whipped with a leash by men, she has grown to ADORE my husband

For some reason that "whipped with a leash" really turns my stomach.

The leash, which so many dogs regard as That Object That Means I'm Going On A Fun Exploration, the thing that gets them so excited at the prospect of Going For A Walk, used as a tool for inflicting pain. Sickening irony.

God, I hate people. I'm glad Missy has the perfect home now and I will hope for Hope. (Sorry - I have two already in a townhouse).

Yeah, amazing isn't it, Ala? After only 3 trips to the barn, tho, Missy learned that Leash + Wanna go Bye-Bye? from me means GOOOOD things and she wiggles her whoooooole body via tail in joy! No more cowering and peeing in shear terror.
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may be given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

Alas, I have two pretty active dogs already, and my dog yard involves a staircase down from the porch to the yard. But I do hope she finds her "person" who has the right situation for this poor girl!
    "One person's cowboy is another person's blooming idiot" -- katarine

Spay and neuter. Please.

Quote Originally Posted by ChocoMare View Post

I second Chocomare. We have Bodie, Missy's brother. He still will sit and piddle if I have the whip out so I leave him inside if we lunge with it. But he is just a world class wonder dog! The sweetest most lovable little man.
    Last edited by equineartworks; May. 23, 2011 at 11:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by equineartworks View Post
    I second Chocomare. We have Bodie, Missy's brother. He still will sit and piddle if I have the whip out so I leave him inside if we lunge with it. But he is just a world class wonder dog! The sweetest most lovable little man.

**melts**

what a face!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bristol Bay View Post
    Try setting your broomstick to fly at a lower altitude.
    GNU Terry Prachett