The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

The eastern edge of the eventing wasteland

Default Curb Chain fit question

I have often seen the curb chain on a Kimberwick or Pelham adjusted so the off side goes THROUGH the bit and then under chin. Sometimes this is combined with it connecting to the near side also through the bit. I have seen this on some dressage horses as well.

Now I was taught that is a NO NO. I was taught that the curb should be adjusted so that it is basically behind/above the bit and does not interfere at all. It should be adjusted so that you can get 1-2 fingers in there, depending on the horse and how soon you want the curb action to take place. It should lay flat on the chin and be clear to act when needed and be passive when not.

Can anyone please explain what the purpose it to running it through the bit ring?
    Thanks.
    "You're horse is behind the vertical!"
    "Of course he's behind the vertical, I haven't jumped it yet!"
    - NLK
    "I am a sand dancer... just here for the jumps!" - Schrammo
    www.nshaonline.org

I don't see that there's a purpose at all

We used to put it through the bit on my old eq horse because the hooks would always cut my horses face no matter how much vet wrap we put around them.

Thats why I did it. On my new jumper we have it done up normally since *touch wood* it does not cut him.

You're supposed to ensure that the hooks are on the outside!

If it's correct size and turned so it's flatted and there's no rough metal then it can't rub. If it's rubbing sore then it's not fitted properly.
    Last edited by Thomas_1; May. 6, 2010 at 02:46 AM.

Don't forget the lip strap on a pelham - that is what the tiny loops on the shanks of the bit are for, right above where the curb rein attaches, runs through the curb chain, large ring that seems to do nothing in the middle of the curb chain.

Helps to keep the curb chain flat and from moving much.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas_1 View Post
    You're supposed to ensure that the hooks are on the outside!
    Um thanks but we did do that. My horse was just super sensitive to the rubbing there from any part of the hook.

Hollywood, but not the one where they have the Oscars!

I have always put the chain through the rings, less severe that way. And DITTO the lip strap, to me it is an essential part of the pelham use!
    "You can't really debate with someone who has a prescient invisible friend"
    carolprudm

Quote Originally Posted by sansibar View Post
    Um thanks but we did do that. My horse was just super sensitive to the rubbing there from any part of the hook.
    then the bit it self was to small for the horses mouth

the bit should sit on the bars of the mouth with 1/2 wrinkles showing in the corners of the mouth on the outside this allows the curb chain to be fitted into the chin groove

if one has sores from hooks that curb chian sits in then the bit is length wise is to small or one is

heavy iin the hands and using the curb rein rather than the direct rein
    which baiscially means your heavy in the hands - so horse is paying the price by having a sore mouth-a s hes pulling in advasion and your pulling to hang onto his head as in hes strong so tanks - you will not win a battle of horse pulls me - give give give with your hands and sit in your seat and lighten your hands

thus comes down to that more than likely combination of lack of balance from rider and horse - riding error
    no horse should have sores from bits or any part of a bit and especially not a hook of curb chain as they are only there to keep the chain in place
    Last edited by goeslikestink; May. 7, 2010 at 06:48 PM.