The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default When an adoption is magic!

Those of you in rescue know what I mean when I say our most common emotions sometimes seem to be frustration, panic and whatever that other one is that requires us to bang our heads into brick walls!

But when it works? When that plain, older, nothing special except just all around nice rescue finds the right adopter? Magic!! I am all verklempt and didn't know where else to share my happiness....

We just finalized an adoption for one of our plain jane gals who I figured might be with me forever.... and the couple are ecstatic to get her; her shyness around strangers was completely forgotten with this family! She attached herself to the husband immediately (regardless of the fact she is known to be shyest around men) and what's more she never even turned around to see where I was as they were getting her loaded to leave.

Yes, its sad to see your girl leave (where DID that girl go who tried to hide her head behind me every time someone tried to look at her?!) and then not seem to care if you are even still on this earth but reality? THIS is the way it should end, every time!!

None of this may make one bit of sense. My heart is just so happy. For her, for them (they've been looking for months for the "right" one to click) and just for the satisfaction that well, to quote the wise Willem "this it be right."
    more readers probably have vaginas than have crock pots…

Mod 1
    January 2014

Awww, what a cool story

Congratulations! It sounds like a wonderful thing for horse and family, and there's nothing better for the ol' heart than that. Thank you for sharing your joy! My own adopted horse turned out to be magic for me, and I love hearing about others like that. Offsets some of the heartbreaking things we also hear about. Congratulations again!

That is just wonderful. I love stories like this! And if you'd like me to post any pics of your sweet mare with her new family, just let me know!
    www.specialhorses.org
    a 501(c)3 organization helping 501(c)3 equine rescues

That's got to be the best feeling! Well done and congrats to all
    Y'all ain't right!

and a pic of the sweetie:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF3747-1.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	104.9 KB 
ID:	29166  
    www.specialhorses.org
    a 501(c)3 organization helping 501(c)3 equine rescues

And funny thing, I just heard from her new "dad" and she is taking to their farm like a duck to water!

18 acres to play on, she spent yesterday gently playing "tag" and "chase the puppy" with the toddler daughter.

In his words: "We have been looking and waiting for a long time and knew things would work out, but not without our questioning and wondering if we'd ever find the "one"."
    more readers probably have vaginas than have crock pots…

Mod 1
    January 2014

Outside Ocala FL - Horse Capital of the World

Awww, that is so sweet! Thanks for sharing a happy story today.
    There are friends and faces that may be forgotten, but there are horses that never will be. - Andy Adams

that sounds sooo much like when i adopted my gal from the pound, and i even named her PLAIN JANE!!

i had missed seeing her first time thru the kennels as she was hiding.........sorta goofy looking, big barrel chest and tiny dainty feet, made to look even more dainty by short white socks.....she was listed as a lab/beagleX, but i think she was more pit/lab...
    just a plain tan with white blaze, white chest and belly.......
    i took her out to meet her, and she was quivering like a dog in a thunderstorm..........
    she was put back into the kennel run while i stood in line at the front desk to get more info.............i looked up to see her standing shyly in the open doorway leading to the walkway behind the kennels.....somehow, she had gotten OUT!...i just said to her from across the room, "hey, how did you get out?!"...she ducked her head, slowly walked over, and sat at my feet.......................i THOUGHT i had come to find a smaller dog, and instead, found the dog of a lifetime in my 65lb plain jane...she never left my side, never needed a leash in the 8 yrs i was lucky enough to have her love....i do miss my janey