The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Luck or Talent?

I'm in the market for a trailer, on a pretty limited budget. Three amazing and inexpensive trailers so far have slipped through my fingers because I wasn't the first one to get there to pick it up.

Since then I have been checking CL like it's crack. On my phone, at home, at work . . . When I did my pre-sleep check last night, I jumped on a great ad! I emailed them. It was late (nearly 10PM), so I didn't want to call. I left my cell phone number and said they could call until 11PM or as early as 6AM. I also called this morning right before 8AM. Left a message.

I said that the trailer looks great and I have cash, am willing to pay the asking price and would love to come and confirm that it's as great as it looks and sounds, and take it home.

What am I doing wrong?

On CL, it's pure luck to get something desirable.

I replied almost immediately upon it being posting about a free metal shed that I thought would work for a chicken coop. Had to wait two days to go look at it because of the owner's schedule.

I drove over for a look-see, and on the spot called a friend who might have a trailer big enough to move it (got his SO, he wouldn't be back until evening). By evening, he called to say he was lining up a trailer belonging to his dad and would be able to haul it "Saturday afternoon perhaps or Sunday morning for sure".

I called owner to say my friend was making arrangements for a trailer and would move the shed either "Saturday afternoon if possible or Sunday morning at the latest", and when I knew more specifics, he'd know more.

Saturday morning, I get voice mail -- the guy said he let someone else take the shed that morning since he "hadn't heard from me". (So much for his little "you asked about if first so you can have it even though some other guy is interested and wants it right away" and "it'd be nice if people did what they said they'd do" comments.)

So I had to contact friend to tell him to abort the trailer arrangement (luckily, caught him just as he was about to head out to pick it up).

I didn't bother to return shed owner's call, but if he ever replies to one of my "free stuff" listings, I'll be laughing in his face and saying, "No way in hell. I'll light fire to it first."

Some people don't check email very frequently...AND some people's email blocks the craigslist blind email replies.

So, you may have missed them this morning, I'd hang in there til tonight and try calling again.

Good luck!

(PS: Saw that you said you'd sent a PM, but I didn't get one...just fyi)
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

Buddyroo: Look again.

The trailer is gone. I called again at 10AM. Crazy.

Bummer! I've missed a few things like that too. Good trailers usually go fast.

I hope mine sells that fast. I have a brand new calico 4-horse slant stock combo gooseneck that has never had a horse in it. Didn't quite manage to get a truck to pull it, and now I'm going to have to sell it to pay some bills. I'm in St. Louis if anyone is interested.

-Patti

What does a "4-horse slant stock combo gooseneck" look like? I'm in the "when I have a little more money, I'll go shopping" territory. This configuration sounds interesting.

I have an older (1993) 4-horse straight load stock combo bumper pull that is not worth repairing (unless one has the tools and know-how to do it one's self, which I don't). The under manger tack storage doesn't really suit what I want.

It's rough on the sellers, too, if it is any consolation.

I have had my 4 horse for sale since last year. Priced really well - several people have said so. Have had many inquiries, sent lots of photos... had a few visitors.... then.... nothing. No call, no email. How discouraging.

Keep looking - something will present itself to you that is perfect!

I'm wondering . . . should I have called on the trailer at 10PM? Or, should I have called at 6AM when I got up? There is a fine line between persistent and rude and I tend to try to be as polite as possible. So, maybe I need to be more persistent and hope the sellers find it a trait instead of an annoyance?

FYI . . . these are really nice trailers around/under $2,000. Older (late 80s, early 90s), larger (tall, wide, for the year), two horse, bumper-pull straight loads that look like they have never been used. Charmacs and Circle Js, primarily. Usually with good ramps, too.

So sorry this is happening to you!

Keep on the CL crack, as you are doing. Good advice about calling and e-mailing, too. You might also look in a wider geographic area.

It is a PITA, but you will find the trailer and the seller you want.

I did that with a dude who listed one on E-bay. I waited until his auction ended because I wanted to see it in person before dropping a serious amount of money. I e-mailed him and asked if I could treat his opening bid as the asking price. Drove the 6 hours (one way) a few days later and bought it. On a hand-shake. The guy wouldn't take a deposit.

I'll do the same when I sell so as to pay forward this nice old-fashioned bit of manners.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

Craigslist is part luck and a crapshoot. Part of me thinks that if you list your stuff on CL you're going to get calls at weird times. It's one of the things you sign on for. I would widen your search area and just keep trying. I'd also see if any pony clubs in the area might have websites with classifieds on there. I've gotten 2 of my trailers that way- PC families needed to upgrade and I was ok with something older yet still in good condition. Good luck in your search- I'm sure you'll find something soon! :-)

Well, I'm sure you've seen trailers like it...just your standard stock gooseneck with a dressing room, and slant dividers in the horse part...it's 7' tall, which is nice. I like how roomy it is (one of our horses is almost 17 HH).

Part of my problem is that I can't quite decide what to do. I wouldn't mind holding on to it for another couple of months; I might need it this summer at some point...if I can find a decent summer job I could maybe get ahead enough financially to keep it (I have summers off). Also, I never did get the keys to the tack room from the dealer! GRRRR AND some a**hat stole my spare tire off the side of the trailer, so I couldn't decide if I should replace the tire and then sell, or lower the price to compensate.

I wonder if I can call Calico and get keys? I have the keys for the door from the horse area into the dressing room, but not the keys for the outside door. So we've been locking the outside door from the inside and then locking the other door with the key. Kind of a pain, and it will make it harder to sell the trailer without all the keys. (I wouldn't bother to lock it, but it's stored at a storage facility and we have some horse stuff in the tack room).

Anyway, I probably just should have waited until I found that perfect, older trailer on CL that I have been looking for forever. Like the OP, CL is my crack.

I like the style of trailers that are square in front, like a box on wheels (edited to say, these are usually 2-horse bumper pulls, which would be more practical for everyday use); I see nice ones for sale at a good price now and then, but either I'm too indecisive or they just go too fast! So I know how you feel! I'm also nervous about calling people I don't know, and I wouldn't have felt comfortable calling at 10:00 p.m. or 6:00 a.m. either!

Hope you find a good trailer soon!

-Patti

Quote Originally Posted by greysandbays View Post
    What does a "4-horse slant stock combo gooseneck" look like? I'm in the "when I have a little more money, I'll go shopping" territory. This configuration sounds interesting.

I have an older (1993) 4-horse straight load stock combo bumper pull that is not worth repairing (unless one has the tools and know-how to do it one's self, which I don't). The under manger tack storage doesn't really suit what I want.
    Last edited by dontcallmepat; May. 5, 2010 at 05:38 PM. Reason: clarification

Quote Originally Posted by CamdenLab View Post
    I'm wondering . . . should I have called on the trailer at 10PM? Or, should I have called at 6AM when I got up? There is a fine line between persistent and rude and I tend to try to be as polite as possible. So, maybe I need to be more persistent and hope the sellers find it a trait instead of an annoyance?
    As a seller, if I had a big/medium ticket item listed, I wouldn't mind if people called early or late. I might not be quite awake, but I wouldn't be offended. Unless it was a $5 DVD or something I was giving away.

IMO, when a seller lists a phone number in a CL ad, it is an invitation to call. If they don't want to be bothered by phone calls, they can stick to the anonymous e-mail reply function.