The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Itchy tail - dry skin?

Hi y'all. I am looking for product suggestions. My mare has the dryest skin ever I think. And it's itchy! She loves it when I scratch her tail bone (think stalking me walking backwards saying "scratch my tail damn it!"), and when I do it looks like it's snowing. I am currently putting MTG on it now, but the oil in it means that instead of dry skin flakes everywhere, she has every bit of random dirt and plant matter available stuck in the hair. I am hoping that someone knows of a moisturizing product without the oilyness.

I do shampoo her tail maybe once every 3-4 weeks with dandruff shampoo, and then apply the mtg. I don't wash more often because of the dryness, but the dirt and crud build up drives me nuts.

Have you checked her teats/udders? A lot of butt-scritchin mares have gunk between their teats that they're trying to get rid of when they're scritchin.
    Tell a Gelding. Ask a Stallion. Discuss it with a Mare... Pray if it's a Pony!

I pick smegma off on an almost daily basis when I check her udders for ticks. Might as well pull it off while I'm there.

Oh, and it's the whole tail bone that's itchy, not just the top. I deworm regularly also.

Quote Originally Posted by eqsiu View Post
    I pick smegma off on an almost daily basis when I check her udders for ticks. Might as well pull it off while I'm there.

Oh, and it's the whole tail bone that's itchy, not just the top. I deworm regularly also.
    Hmmm, that's a tricky one. Perhaps try an anti-fungal/bacterial shampoo? I love Aloedine shampoo for my mare.
    Tell a Gelding. Ask a Stallion. Discuss it with a Mare... Pray if it's a Pony!

when you use the dandruff shampoo are you leaving it in for a minimum of 10 minutes? If not, do that and see if it helps.

I will try that. I also thought about getting some t-gel shampoo or something.

Default Being a nutritionist of course I think of a nutritional fix!

I would give her 1-2 cups a day of whole flax seed.
    Does wonders for dry itchy skin in horses and humans (though humans would take less).
    MW
    Melyni (PhD) PAS, Dipl. ACAN.
    New edition of book is out:
    Horse Nutrition Handbook.

www.knabstruppers4usa.com

Read the thread on neck-thread worms. One of mine was rubbing her tail, I did the double dosing of ivermectin and it stopped.
    Also, if it really is dry skin, I like to use Calm Coat on my very allergic draftx.

Quote Originally Posted by Melyni View Post
    I would give her 1-2 cups a day of whole flax seed.
    Does wonders for dry itchy skin in horses and humans (though humans would take less).
    MW
    I totally agree. My chestnut would rub his tail off until I put him on flax. I tried EVERYTHING topical, nothing worked until he got flax on a regular basis. Never had a problem since, its been three years now.

This might sound crazy but I've tried so many products on my 2 yr old who last year scratched out lots of mane & tail, that this year I've mixed my own product. I started with Horseman's Dream Aloe salve, added caladryl lotion, a touch of triamcinolone spray, & some neopsorin plus ointment. Mixed it well & applied it to the 2 rubbed places on her tail only yesterday & today...no evidence of itching so far. I hope it wasn't a fluke. Hope it continues to work.
    Producing horses with gentle minds & brilliant movement!
    www.whitfieldfarm.shutterfly.com

I like Mega-tek. It seems to work well for the itchies.

Caitlin
    Caitlin
    *OMGiH I Loff my Mare* and *My Saddlebred Can Do Anything Your Horse Can Do*
    http://community.webshots.com/user/redmare01

My itchy mini mare has been on SmartShine by SmartPak for a week and is already relieved. I also put a little rose water on her itchy spots for topical relief but in this little mare's case it was nutritional.

I second Calm Coat.

Ditto the flax seed, you'll see a huge difference and a beautiful coat.

FYI - some horses can get a reaction to MTG. I tried it for the 1st time last fall on 2 horses that were itching. BOTH had awful reactions - one even blistered.

I double dosed with ivermectin (after reading the neck-thread-worm thread) and started all my horses on flax seed. NO itching of anyone so far this year and dapples like I've never seen!

Quote Originally Posted by baysngreys View Post
    FYI - some horses can get a reaction to MTG. I tried it for the 1st time last fall on 2 horses that were itching. BOTH had awful reactions - one even blistered.
    Must be a reaction to the sulphur? Angel is fine with it, and it works, but the grunge involved in her 24/7 pasture life drives me nuts. Instead of flaky dryness, it will look like mud on her skin.

I recently switched her back to Ultium, maybe the high fat content will help. Plus it's pelleted so she eats it (OT, but who ever heard of a horse that didn't like sweet feed? ).