The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default LGL, how do you manage?

Just came back from farrier appt.
    She suspects LGL (bruising, poor white line connection, flaking, ridges). The horse is not really clinical, no lameness, occasional abscess that doesn't cause lameness and if I am not watching his feet like a hawk, wouldn't notice even happened.

6y TB gelding, transitioned from "ugly" trim/shoeing to barefoot last September without any real issues to date (two small abscesses that vented without symptoms or complications)

Now we are talking about diet changes (low sugar, low starch).
    The only problem is his metabolism! It is slowing, but he is still a fairly hard keeper esp. through the winters. I have always been a fan of grass-grass-grass and (in the winter) hay-hay-hay to maintain weight. He is currently getting (I can not for the life of me remember the weight) 2QT Legends Pellet and 1 QT Alfalfa pellet daily, grass turn-out as often as possible. He comes in for bad weather, mainly.

Historically, this horse was on a terrible diet (for him); 12% sweet and Strategy pounds and pounds and pounds daily, 10-12 hour turn out and 2 (?!) flakes of poor-quality hay when brought in. When I acquired him (last August), he was moved and his feed changed to the above. (I like my horse to keep his feet on the ground, that 12% sweet had to GO).
    I am possibly moving him again to a farm that *appears* to have better pasture, I will test the grass there if needed, but have not tested grass @ current barn.

Is it possible that this is all to blame on the integrity of his pasture? Again, he came here in the fall, so this is his first spring on this pasture.

I HATE unguided internet research!! I was recommended safegrass.org, which is informative, but I thought I could tap into the COTH wealth of knowledge/tried tactics for some suggestions.

Also, feed recommendations? I feel totally lost and in over my head!
    Spell-checked prior to transmission. All errors occured en route.

..what's LGL stand for? You might get more replies if you elaborate on that.
    Tell a Gelding. Ask a Stallion. Discuss it with a Mare... Pray if it's a Pony!

Quote Originally Posted by sublimequine View Post
    ..what's LGL stand for? You might get more replies if you elaborate on that.
    Low grade laminitis. Also called subclinical laminitis, or slow onset laminitis.

So much to write on this but I have to meet the vet shortly so no time to type now.

Quote Originally Posted by Auventera Two View Post
    Low grade laminitis. Also called subclinical laminitis, or slow onset laminitis.

So much to write on this but I have to meet the vet shortly so no time to type now.
    Thanks A2!

Put "laminitis" in your thread title, OP. I guarantee you'll get more help that way.
    Tell a Gelding. Ask a Stallion. Discuss it with a Mare... Pray if it's a Pony!