The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Dressage Girth for a Pony?

Posting this here, as I'm hoping someone can help me with this conversion:

I'm a former hunter rider who is dabbling in dressage with my pony, and I'd like to try out some dressage saddles to possibly buy. The problem is, I don't have a dressage girth and have no idea what size to buy.

The pony is 13.1 and takes a 40" - 42" girth with my Antares jumping saddle that has "regular" billets. The dressage saddles I'm interested in have long billets (which I think is standard with dressage saddles?). Any idea what size dressage girth to get?

Thanks!
    Last edited by kisstherain; May. 4, 2010 at 11:33 PM. Reason: spelling

cut your hunt girth in half by inches. That worked for me. (my pony takes a 48 hunt girth, 24 dressage). You may have to special order. I've never seen anything smaller then a 24 in a store.
    mykidshavefourlegs.blogspot.com

Typically, you subtract 20" from your long girth size. This can vary depending on the length of the billets for both the jump saddle and the dressage saddle, but you are usually pretty close with 20" shorter. So 20-22". I've seen girths as small as 18". Smaller than that would be tough, though.

I would think that a 20" would work. My 14.3 hony takes a 46" or 48" long girth and my dressage girth is a 20", though I could probably get away with a 22" if I really wanted to.
    “I always knew I had the ability, I just had to find the horse to get me there.” - Calvin Borel, on riding Street Sense to victory in the 2007 Kentucky Derby

My horses take a 46" long girth and a 22" short and a 50" long and 26" short (though she should probably be in a 24")

My pony wears a 40-42" long girth and a 20" (though he could go smaller if I wanted) dressage girth. I haven't had trouble finding a 20" (below 20" gets harder to find). I use this girth: http://www.horseloverz.com/Ovation-A...pr-277600.html

And, if you don't already use them, Just For Ponies is always my go-to for difficult to find sizes! http://www.justforponies.com/girths.aspx
    "Last time I picked your feet, you broke my toe!"

I had to get an 18" dressage girth for my fine boned 14.1appendix mare. (Trumbull Mt) I didn't know they came that small!

Another good place to find small dressage girls is
    http://www.actionridertack.com/

Some of their styles are stocked down to 16" and others can be special ordered at whatever size you need. And their customer service is absolutely wonderful!