The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Anyone an equine flight attendant?

Sounds like a great way to see the world! Anyone do it?
    When the student is ready, the teacher will appear.

I knew a guy about 10 years ago that did it, he used to go all over the world with the horses - he wasn't even horsey but had friends in the horse transport business, lucky guy.

A friend who now lives in Australia was involved in buying and shipping horses to Malaysia for a while. Sometimes some of the horses travelled with shunts (I think that's what they're called, it's a thing stuck in the neck where you put a needle in) so if things looked like they might go a bit pear shaped they could pre-empt any trouble.
    where am I, what day is it, am I still having a good time?

I'm a vet tech (and those ports into the jugular is a catheter ) so I'm ok with dosing tranq etc, just wondering if/how people have gotten the job. I sent a couple of e-mails to some of the bigger air transport co, we'll see how it goes!
    When the student is ready, the teacher will appear.

West of insanity, east of apathy, deep in the heart of Texas.

When I did it many years ago (just once), being able to install a catheter wasn't necessary. They gave you a bottle of Ace, some needles and syringes, a couple of 5 gallon buckets and about 5 1-gallon milk jugs of water to get three horses through a trip from D-FW airport to Frankfurt, Germany. It was fun, and I'd do it again in a heartbeat.

It helps to know someone who's high up in the transport companies. The only reason I got the job was because the German-based company I was working for, had an import company that also dealt in horse transport. The manager of the transport company knew I rode, so called and asked me to groom for an international flight. Fun!
    In loving memory of Laura Jahnke.
    A life lived by example, done too soon.
    www.caringbridge.org/page/laurajahnke/

A friend of mine did that when she worked for a racing stable as a "walker". I think she got to go to Johannesburg (sp) several times. So in her case she was already known to the trainers.
    "All top hat and no canter". *Graureiter*

Recently met a young Irishman who travelled the world with the Coolmore stallions - very cool job he had. There are some interesting jobs out there in the bloodstock world, from insurance to breeding management.

I know a guy that goes from the EU to USA and then on to Dubai,
    he usually just sees the inside of the terminal. I have flown several times with horses and its not all glamorous. Up all day, because its daytime, then fly at night, and your up all night watering and checking on the horses, then you turn around and do it again.

I had a great time dont get me wrong, would I do it again...hell yeah...but with better schedules.

I've been meaning to look into it. I know that from Australia you have to be certified with a course through the goverment or something. Looking into that course and hoping to do it while i'm here.

I have heard stories that the companies use to let grooms on to the flights to europe then not generally need them on the way back to US so would just give you a flight back on a regular people plane... so nice way to get to europe for a weekend and basically a free flight back. Not sure if they still do that anymore.

P.

Polydor, the guy I knew came back a couple of times on regular flights but usually he did both legs of the trip with horses sometimes with a week or so inbetween so for him it was pretty good wicket.
    where am I, what day is it, am I still having a good time?