The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default When is it too hot out for foals to be out

I looked around and can't get any good answers

When is it too hot for a week old foal to be out all day? Thank You

Do you have run in sheds or some other form of shelter?

No easy answer ...

How much shelter or shade is there in the paddock?

Over here, the mares will naturally gravitate to the trees during late morning / early afternoon when it gets hot out and I see the babies lying in the shade with them. If the paddock didnt have any shade or tall, cool grass to lie in, I would hesitate leaving a week old foal out all day ...

I agree, we start turning them out slowly, weather permitting at a few days old. I have a month old filly that is now out all day with mom, has a run in shed and lots of trees. We still bring the broodmares and foals in at night.

You just need to judge your foal, the heat and bugs and how well the mare and foal tolerate it. If your mare takes her baby to shelter, be it trees or shed for rest that is helpful.

There is no "right" answer. Just keep a close eye on the foal at first. Make sure it is not stressed or overheated. Always err on the side of being overprotective with a foal. They can have little room for error sometimes.

That being said, exercise and fresh air are essential for growth and development.

Go with your instincts and I'm sure you and your foal will thrive. Good luck.

thanks!

we do have a big run in and some shady corners in their paddock but, mom like to graze so she does not go to those areas often. it's is pretty think is grass too

today it's 80, sun then clouds and a bit of humidity but, not as bad as the past few days

Colt seems to be alert when I go check them, enough that he'll canter or try to play for a few min.

I did sponge him down with cool water earlier

overall it's cooler because the humidity is down then the past few days when I only had that out in the AM and later afternoon

I figure if I'm not too hot ( and I hate being hot) they should be OK and it I'm sweating quick too hot for baby, hope this is a decent gauge

We are in the NC near SC

It was 90 here yesterday. All three of my foals are out. The youngest is a week old. We have big shade trees and the foals do just fine. We are out and about at the barn almost all day so its easy to keep a watch on them. We do have a nice breeze.
    Sandy
    www.sugarbrook.com
    hunter/jumper ponies

Quote Originally Posted by Sugarbrook View Post
    It was 90 here yesterday. All three of my foals are out. The youngest is a week old. We have big shade trees and the foals do just fine. We are out and about at the barn almost all day so its easy to keep a watch on them. We do have a nice breeze.
    thanks Sandy and everyone else, just wanted to be sure it was not too warm!

I would say be careful when it's 90 degrees or more.... A very good friend of mine lost two foals one spring when he was out of town and had to rely on other people to bring his mares and foals in. Foals are more fragile than you think....
    Siegi Belz
    www.stalleuropa.com
    2007 KWPN-NA Breeder of the Year
    Dutch Warmbloods Made in the U. S. A.

Quote Originally Posted by siegi b. View Post
    I would say be careful when it's 90 degrees or more.... A very good friend of mine lost two foals one spring when he was out of town and had to rely on other people to bring his mares and foals in. Foals are more fragile than you think....
    thank you...i would imagine is also has to do with the amount of breeze and shade and if they are using it...