The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Related horses - do they look alot alike

Just wondered how many breeders have family lines - mothers/sons/daughters/cousins in the breeding operation.

I have two lines and there are a lot of similarities in their attitudes and training.

But mostly I wondered about looks - do you go for a certain look and does the family relationship help you with that look

here are mine
    www.prospectequinefarms.com/gallery.htm

I am on my third generation with one family and none of them looked even remotely alike until I got my now two year old filly. She looks like her mom everywhere except her head, she has a melon head where her mom has a fabulous head. My latest foal is just two months old but if he sheds out to be black like I think he will he might be the one who looks the most like his dam. Its hard to tell on foals but he looks like he is going to have a lovely head. They all had good temperments but so do all my other horses so not sure if that is nature or nurture. I am pretty clear with all of them about the rules of good behavior. The pic is my mare and her now two year old at 15 months.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	girls1.jpg 
Views:	142 
Size:	50.8 KB 
ID:	29132  

I've known two or three families of horses for three generations, and some of the full siblings and cousins look so much alike, when flipping through old photos, sometimes it's hard to tell them apart. Mostly, it's our mares who stamp their offspring very strongly.

In the Saddlebred breed, probably because we are working with a pretty narrow gene pool, it usually isn't too hard to guess who the sire is, or at least the sire's sire. The prepotent ones are actually being used a little too much.
    The more perfect our happiness,
    the more nagging and wretched
    do our unsolved problems seem.
    ~ Gordon Grand

I have all kinds of mothers, daughters, sons and grandchildren, nieces and nephews - and only one pair is almost identical. One mother and her daughter. None of the other offspring or relatives look alike, but this one mother and daughter are absolutely, unmistakeably related and alike. Just like people!!
    Tranquility Farm - Proud breeder of Born in the USA Sport Horses, and Cob-sized Warmbloods
    Now apparently completely invisible!

I have four different mare families that I have bred at our farm including three generations of one. There are strong similarities in the families and I think any horse person who spent some time here could sort them by family without me giving any hints or telling them the names. (since they are Trakehners, that first letter would give it away!) I even have three mares by the same sire out of different families and the mare family traits still come through clearly. It is very apparent in behavior as well. Some of the offspring were carried by recipients and they still have their dam's behavior traits.

I think you will find family traits are much stronger in a group with consolidated bloodlines as opposed to those with outcrosses.

I think the similarities are pretty evident in mine for the most part. I know my farrier will say to me after he's done one and started another -- "I just did this one!" -- which is music to my ears as a breeder. Physically, they are pretty uniform with some exceptions, but I think the best part is the similarity in 'tude and temperment. All in all, everything is passed on through the gene pool in some way -- that's why we keep records. I looked long and hard for a GSD puppy after losing my companion of a lifetime male. I wanted the same traits, so I looked for the same bloodlines. I brought her home on Sat -- flew to Charlotte, NC and back the same day (she fit under the seat - barely). But even at 8 weeks the traits show up.
    PennyG

Some look like peas in a pod, some not so much. In general I have noticed the colts tend to favor the sire more and the fillies are more likely to favor the dam.

Forty plus years of breeding the same bloodlines.......the answer is yes, family lines pass on the look and the mindset and most importantly the trainability.
    Anne
    -------
    "Where knowledge ends violence begins." B. Ljundquist

Mindset, trainability, rideability, YES, definitely! Not always the looks I've found with my mare lines, and I have 4 generations.
    Tranquility Farm - Proud breeder of Born in the USA Sport Horses, and Cob-sized Warmbloods
    Now apparently completely invisible!

Post CHECK OUT THESE THREE FULL ET SIBLINGS...

We have 3 FULL ET SIBLINGS, born within a month of each other, all (Goodtimes X Silvio 1 Elite Preferent (Sandro)). All very nice horses, but they differ widely in refinement, size, color, and talents. One sold to a Grand Prix Dressage rider, another to a Grand Prix Jumper rider, and the third is a winning Dressage horse, but a gifted Jumper as well. The gelding is 17 hands +, the two mares, both 16.1-2 h and very "modern" and refined. Hope this helps!

The Chestnut gelding is a winning Dressage horse named Welborne (originally Wartimes)

The Black filly is Windfall, now a winning A show hunter

The Dark Bay, sabino, is Wildcard SCF Keur Elite, CH at DAD and many Dressage shows, and a winning Dressage horse

Check out their photos below:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wildcardtrothigh.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	13.3 KB 
ID:	29133   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WINDFALLHAMPTONCLASSIC.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	26.0 KB 
ID:	29134   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WELBORNEWARTIMES2YEARS.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	34.3 KB 
ID:	29135  
    Sporting Chance Farm/Dr Carlos and Karin Jimenez
    Breeders of International Quality KWPN Horses
    2006 KWPN-NA Breeders of the Year/2006 Res CH USDF DSHB Breeders Year
    www.sportingchancefarm.com

My Arab gelding has a full sister who is 2 years older. They are no more alike than any two non-related Polish Arabs. They both have the more rounded hind end that the sport breeders want, but that's about it. Front end is completely different, personality not much alike, though that could also be the result of different upbringing. They are both a bit lazy, but again, so are a lot of horses.

I think all it takes is one stallion or mare who really stamps their offspring. The OPs young stallion is by the same stallion as my mare, and I see a VERY strong resemblence in photos. There are quite a few siblings around here, and they're all very identifiable in both personality and looks (and their very good FEET! People walk up to my mare, look at her, look at her feet, and ask if she's by her dad ). I know someone with a Paint/SWB/draftX with the same stallion as a grandsire, and even he looks like all his cousins...

My mare's full brother was at the same schooling show as we were on the weekend... in person they look like the male/female version of the same horse.
    "Adulthood? You're playing with ponies. That is, like, every 9 year old girl's dream. Adulthood?? You're rocking the HELL out of grade 6, girl."

Yes, definitely. My first mare was heavy Absatz bred and had the same qualities as many Absatz offspring: rideable, beautiful type and head, people-oriented. Her daughter has the same temperament and sensibility as her dam. She is a little different in type as she is heaving stamped by her Warkant sire, but you can definitely see the resemblence working with them. The Absatz mares grandson has the Absatz both top and bottom in his pedigree (much further back Yes! I love this line!) however the same characteristics are there. And funny enough, he looks like he could be his grandmother's son. Very similar is type, same eye, same sweet personality, even same color and markings. He looks like he skipped a generation.

That is in my opinion the joy of breeding. Loving a particular line for its qualities, and sticking to it for its dependability in giving you a solid partner.
    Member OMGiH I loff my mares clique!!!

Default JG

for an easy example look at the JG appy's. Many of them look alike and like their parents. This program has many offspring and a good example of linebreeding!

I had 2 PMU babies that were full siblings, 3/4 QH x 1/4 Clyde and they were nearly identical. Logan was 2 months shy of his 4th birthday when we lost him to colic. Mylie will be 3 in 2 weeks. They both have white blazes (his was a little wider than hers), white on their chins, same white markings on their legs, same wavy tail. His mane was a little lighter than hers and she was a little taller than him even though she's the baby sister.

My filly looks absolutely nothing like either her sire or her dam. I couldn't figure out who she took after for the longest time, until I started researching her pedigree. Her dam's sire is Zeus, the euro Selle Francais stallion:

Baby:
    http://s67.photobucket.com/albums/h3...1.jpg&newest=1

Grandpappy Zeus:
    http://www.horsemagazine.com/BREEDIN...zeus/zeus.html

Mom:
    http://s67.photobucket.com/albums/h3...2.jpg&newest=1

Dad:
    http://s67.photobucket.com/albums/h3...5.jpg&newest=1

She is his absolute spitting image, same whitey eyes, same coloring, same big donkey ears, she's finer built (he has alot of arab blood)...it's absolutely uncanny!!

My filly is the spitting image of her mother: http://pets.webshots.com/photo/24628...00789832izHidj

Now that she's 3, people are having a hard time telling them apart. Heck, if they're far enough out in the pasture even *I* can't tell them apart

I really need to take some new pictures of the girls.

Quote Originally Posted by luvmydutch View Post
    My filly looks absolutely nothing like either her sire or her dam. I couldn't figure out who she took after for the longest time, until I started researching her pedigree. Her dam's sire is Zeus, the euro Selle Francais stallion:
    She is his absolute spitting image, same whitey eyes, same coloring, same big donkey ears, she's finer built (he has alot of arab blood)...it's absolutely uncanny!!
    That is so cool - she really does - neat how that works sometimes

I definitely see strong resemblence in my herd. There is the odd exception, of course. Below is picture taken a couple of years ago. The horse on the far right is a thoroughbred mare, non-related to the rest of the herd. But for the others, from left to right, you are looking at Never Say Never (aka. Winnie), my foundation mare; Bolero NSN Winnie's grandson; Rhumba, Winnie's daughter and dam of Bolero NSN; Bosanova, Winnie's daughter by Ferro. From a distance, I have a hard time telling my chestnuts apart some days

http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l9...s/DSC_1572.jpg
    Martha Haley - NeverSayNever Farm
    2009 KWN-NA Breeder of the Year/Silver Level Breeder
    www.angelfire.com/ns2/our_horses/
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Never...01844536521951

Smile

Wow Martha! The likeness IS incredible! They all look great!!
    Sporting Chance Farm/Dr Carlos and Karin Jimenez
    Breeders of International Quality KWPN Horses
    2006 KWPN-NA Breeders of the Year/2006 Res CH USDF DSHB Breeders Year
    www.sportingchancefarm.com