The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Quiessence, anyone use it? (How about espom salts for calming?)

I have a hot, tense, spooky mare. A friend gave me their last little bit of Quiessence (after our ride together today ), mostly just to see if my horse will eat it and after that I'll be interested in purchasing some if I hear good things about it.
    Last edited by Amchara; May. 3, 2010 at 04:32 PM.

Have you done a search? Quiessence has been much discussed on this BB.

I'm a huge Foxden Eq. fan and will attest to the quality of her products. I haven't used Quiessence on my own guys but know many horses who have done well on it. I would always recommend checking with your vet before starting any supplement regime, but if your horse is in good health it's a great product.
    If it were easy, everybody would do it.

Equi-Sport Services

I have an EPSM gelding and Quiessence was recommended to me
    for help with calming and relieving muscle pain. I noticed an improvment right away and have been happily using it for 4 years......

I used it on my pony for calming for several months but haven't noticed a difference (I think)....I'm going to finish this tub (almost gone) and not reorder right away and see if there is any change. From what I have heard, some horses respond to it and some do not. I can say for her at least, it's very palpable.

Default Another Good Product

"Relax Me" by and Irish company Horse First is awesome.
    I have used in on a particularly tense flighty gelding with amazing response and some show jumping friends wouldn't be without if for their high powered mares.
    The eventing community also discovered how well it works plus 100% legal to use.

I know you buy it at WEF and pretty sure Bit of Britian cares it as well.

Worth a try,

I did do a search and came up with nothing through the BB and Google, weird. Thanks for the recommendations!

I used it for almost a year and it did nothing. I switched to feeding epsom salts and noticed a huge difference within 5 days, and at a lower dose.

Quote Originally Posted by faybe View Post

I'm a huge Foxden Eq. fan and will attest to the quality of her products. I haven't used Quiessence on my own guys but know many horses who have done well on it. I would always recommend checking with your vet before starting any supplement regime, but if your horse is in good health it's a great product.
    Used it for years, very effective. Foxden Equine is very helpful, call them and tell them about your horse, they are a wealth of info.

I used it for a month on a hot, reactive gelding with no results. What worked for him was FastTrack. Totally changed his behavior around, it was amazing.

Used it for a fat(ish), cresty pony and it didn't work. Took her off the orchard grass and switched to Coastal...voila! No more fat and no more crest. Plus, for the person who said horses/ponies find it palatable...mine didn't. Very expensive too.

Default YOu can try it for free

Quote Originally Posted by Amchara View Post
    I have a hot, tense, spooky mare. A friend gave me their last little bit of Quiessence (after our ride together today ), mostly just to see if my horse will eat it and after that I'll be interested in purchasing some if I hear good things about it.
    to see if it helps. Call the office on 540-337-5450 and ask them for a free sample. They will send you enough for a bout a week or so and then you can see if your horse will eat it and if it works before you buy any.
    Yours
    MW
    Melyni (PhD) PAS, Dipl. ACAN.
    New edition of book is out:
    Horse Nutrition Handbook.

www.knabstruppers4usa.com

I've used it successfully for a mare with a tight back and hind end, but I have not have any success with it as a calming supplement nor for fat/cresty horses.

The horse can be tense in the body unrelated to her mind, but can also get into a mental and physical knot if she wants to. No metabolic issues.

I'm curious to hear more about using epsom salts. Will change title to ask for words on that.

Default Be careful with Mag Sulp

Quote Originally Posted by Amchara View Post
    The horse can be tense in the body unrelated to her mind, but can also get into a mental and physical knot if she wants to. No metabolic issues.

I'm curious to hear more about using epsom salts. Will change title to ask for words on that.
    Magnesium sulphate (aka Epsom Salts) are a well known laxative. There are some folk who feed them safely, and many who can't. Start small, tiny amounts a build up slowly, the first sign of diarrhea and stop, or at least cut back down.

Horse vary hugely, some individuals can tolerate reasonably high levels of Epsom salts, some cannot. Just because someonelse's horse tolerates them does not mean that yours will. Go carefully.
    Yours
    MW
    Melyni (PhD) PAS, Dipl. ACAN.
    New edition of book is out:
    Horse Nutrition Handbook.

www.knabstruppers4usa.com

I feed a 1/4 C Epsom salts daily, along with 1/8 C Raspberry leaves to my hyper fizzy hot TWH gelding. Don't want to quit either as he looks and feels fantastic with this combination in place. Everyone who knew the old Chippy is telling me he got a personality transplant. I agree. I see zero changes in his manure to indicate any issues with its laxative qualities.

I have one who tends to be cresty and heavy, and one who can be a bit hot. I started the former on Remission on a friend's recommendation and am happy with a gradual weight loss and loss of the crestyness. Started the other on Remission after having luck with SmartCalm (which is Mg plus some other things) and the steadyness observed w/ SmartCalm has continued. So, both Remission and SmartCalm are other things you might try.
    "One person's cowboy is another person's blooming idiot" -- katarine

Spay and neuter. Please.