The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default any way to keep chickens out of certain areas??

Chickens are currently running wild on the farm ( they refused to lay any more egss if they were kept in the coop!) -- but now they are getting in to everything -- gardens, etc. Any ideas how to keep them out of specific areas - really getting tired of having to grab them and tossing them back to the area around the coop.

Besides shooting them or fencing them in to an area around their coop? Not really
    -Jessica

Have you clipped their flight feathers so they can't fly out of what you're putting them in to?

That helps. Just cut them on one wing though - that way they are out of balance if they try to fly... cutting both sides seems to allow them to compensate...
    -Jessica

You need at least 5' high chicken wire to keep them in their enclosure. Just remember not to make that too small as they do need room to move around. Also helps to throw some grain outside in their pen for them. Alternatively, you can run t-posts and chicken wire around everything you want to keep them out of.
    Founder of the Dyslexic Clique. Dyslexics of the world - UNTIE!!

Member: Incredible Invisbles

New chickens.
    Click here before you buy.

Pa-eternally laboring in the infinite creative and sustentative work of the universe

If they arent laying .... how old are they? You really dont need that big an area for enclosed chicken pens.... now, you do need some laying boxes too.

Chickens are ok closed in .... and you will enjoy the much less work (and mess). I like AppJumpr08s answer but not for shooting them, the remaining meat is rarely usable for roasting.

IN GOD WE TRUST
    OTTB's ready to show/event/jumpers. Track ponies for perfect trail partners.
    http://www.horseville.com/php/search...=1&ssid=057680

My hens roam free all over the farm. Yes, they get into the flower beds and wallow holes, but that's ok. As for the garden, I drive metal t-posts around it and put up some wire fence to keep them out.
    I havent figured out a way yet to keep them out of certain areas. If you dont want them there, that's the very place they're going to go.
    Though, I know I did insist that they stay off of the front porch. Every time they got on it, I chased them off with a broom. Apparently they did finally get the hint because they stay off the porch.
    They dont like that crazy farmer's wife coming after them with a broom!

So there's your answer - use a broom.

Putting this stuff http://www.tractorsupply.com/fencing...50-ft--3632149 or something similar around the flower garden seems to have worked for us. Keeps the cats from using it as a toilet and the dog from getting in too. We use the little rebar stakes and run a hot wire around the top for the mental effect. We use that plastic landscaping fence to keep them out of the shop, they seem to think it is the biggest chicken coop on the planet.

Unfortunately we haven't found anything that doesn't make us have to deal with it too.
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

hahaha you need to get someone to film you chasing them with a broom!!

Don't get me wrong, I *adore* my chickens, but they can be a pita They are lucky that I love them more than most of my gardens
    -Jessica

we just finished planting the flower beds and put fencing around it -- only to discover that they can sneak through the holes!!! The dogs sometimes help round them up - but we have to becareful that the german shepard doesnt' decide to snack on one ( kids almost had a fit the last time that happened).
    I read about putting rubber snacks throughout the garden and moving them periodically - anyone try this?

Who has time to chase them around and clean up after them. We have a coop with a fenced in run. It is even fenced on top so they can't fly out. They have a big feeder inside and out. Water inside and out. They have nesting boxes too. They lay mostly in the morning and are outside the rest of the time when it is warm. As soon as darkness comes they run inside. We close them in for the night to avoid predators.
    If they have stopped laying they may be old. They should start again now with more daylight and longer days. We put a golf ball in the laying boxes to encourage them to lay/nest.

If they are that big a problem then it's best to create a large yard for them. Fully fenced, and clip the flight feathers.

It will keep them from roaming, and keep your GSD for having a chicken dinner.

Mine range freely but I do have my vegetable garden fence off with bird netting and step in posts.

Corgis...

I was having trouble keeping the chickens off the back deck because they follow the pot-bellied pig up there (he begs at the door, sliming up the glass ). I open the door and sic the Corgis on the pig, who could care less, but it sends the chickens off the deck right quick.

Now they hang out on the back yard lawn, waiting for the dogs to come out.

I live on a funny farm...

Google 'fence'