The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Something you don't see everyday with TBreds

Race 1 Delaware 5/3

Security Zero
    Owned, Trained and ridden by Clyde Martin

Does he use a bucket to get on the horse?
    Last edited by DickHertz; May. 3, 2010 at 09:07 PM.

I give him props! How'd they do? He definitely knows all about the horse that's for sure!!

That's impressive! He's a nice guy too. I talked to him Saturday morning on my CANTER rounds, and we listed some horses for him last year. So I'm happy to hear he had a win!
    Delaware Park Canter Volunteer
    http://www.canterusa.org/

Spartan Missile, who was a fast closing 2nd in the Grand national in 1981, was not only owned/trained/ridden by John Thorne but he also bred the horse. On top of that, Thorne also bred Spartan Missile's dam, Polaris Missile, who was ridden by his son in the Grand National 10 years previously.

As a side note, Thorne also bred Cruise Missile from the same dam. Cruise Missile would go on to be a prolific sire of eventers, siring a number of horses that went around Badminton. Thorne himself was an accomplished sire, besides his aforementioned son who was a jockey, he sired a top eventer, his daughter Diana Thorne (now Henderson, married to leading racehorse trainer Nicky Henderson) finishing 2nd at both Badminton and Burghley.

Sadly, Thorne was killed in a race several months after that Grand National ride.

Default clyde

Quote Originally Posted by DickHertz View Post
    Race 1 Delaware 5/3

Security Zero
    Owned, Trained and ridden by Clyde Martin

Does he use a bucket to get on the horse?
    Clyde is the "real deal" when it comes to a horseman. Have been friends with him for years, he rode some for me when I trained too. He is the owner,trainer, and jockey for Security Zero (among others) and often no one to give him a "leg up".

He has another one who is on my Stable Mail named Nathan's HQ and for the longest time I assumed there was a Sr and Jr at work. He's done a good job with the horse. Thanks for clarifying the situation.

(He must have legs like pogosticks if doesn't get a leg up.)

Clyde is the hardest working person I have ever met. Not only is he owner/trainer/ jockey but also mucks stalls and when his horses run "out of town" he drives the truck and trailer. He was also a very good rider of show jumpers before becoming a jockey.

Ok I am new to all of this, but I was under the assumption a jockey couldn't own a racehorse as long as he was riding. Is this true?

I know a lot of jockeys own horses, they just do so under hidden ownership, but this is an instance when owner/trainer/jockey are the same. Could it be his son or another family member riding?

Just curious that's all

Quote Originally Posted by mambo9 View Post
    Ok I am new to all of this, but I was under the assumption a jockey couldn't own a racehorse as long as he was riding. Is this true?

I know a lot of jockeys own horses, they just do so under hidden ownership, but this is an instance when owner/trainer/jockey are the same. Could it be his son or another family member riding?

Just curious that's all
    Depends on the jurisdiction. I think Florida and Delaware allow it but I have no idea who else does.

[QUOTE=mambo9;4846141]. Could it be his son or another family member riding?

Just curious that's all

Nope, definitely just one person. A few states allow this but if a jock is an owner in Delaware they may not ride for anyone else.

Did you see this in person or on tv? I recently upgraded my cable to include tvg & hrtv and I hardly ever find the tracks/races I want to watch. Often the same races are being shown on both channels. Mostly I am a h/j person who loves TBs, so am I missing something here?!? I spent most of my life living in VA so I want to see the mid-atlantic racing.

I believe they had a story about Mr. Martin on HRTV's Inside Information. I was impressed!

It would be on youtube.
    "Everyone will start to cheer, when you put on your sailin shoes"-Lowell George