The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results
    New York City

Default Horsey "Watering Holes" in Ocala, FL and Santa Ynez, CA

I'm writing an article about horsey hangouts and wondered if I could get a few recommendations one place per area to highlight in Ocala, FL and Santa Ynez, CA. Something nice, popular with the horsey crowd, with food and drink, where you can go for dinner or head straight from the barn for a drink and not be out of place. Any suggestions appreciated! Funny tales related to said hangouts a bonus :-)

Outside Ocala FL - Horse Capital of the World

We had a thread about this some time back, not sure which forum it was in, but I do recall it.

My personal favorite is Horse and Hounds, especially at lunch time. Almost any restaurant in Ocala will have people wearing horse gear, especially when HITS is in town, or the OBS sales.
    There are friends and faces that may be forgotten, but there are horses that never will be. - Andy Adams

ocala,florida....the place to be!

horse and hounds is really the place to be here. hunters,jumpers, eventers, race trainers, race riders. they all go there. hang out on the patio till late at night shooting the breeze. you just never know who you will meet there. i used to work there many yrs.ago as a bartender. cool place, good food and good drinks

ride it like you stole it! "ralph hill"

Ocala, FL

Yep, Horse and Hounds came to mind. But really, you can go just about anywhere in Ocala in barn clothes (OK, wash the manure off if you have been stripping stalls!).
    During the OBS sales, some of the high rollers used to hang out at the SKY restaurant. DOn't know if they still do.

La Habra Heights, CA