The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default 2 stalls, 3 horses?

Grr, yet again had a long detailed post written out and it got eaten up. I don't have time to type it all out again so, can you tell me if this can work? It is a shedrow barn in a fully enclosed area which opens to two pastures. This is temporary (summer only) so I cannot build another stall or a run in shed. The barn would be used as a run in...horses would not be individually stalled. My concern is the low guy on the totem pole not having access to shelter and/or being beat up. But then I think that this could happen with a run-in shed too.
    Please tell me your experience/advice.
    Thanks!
    My CANTER cutie Chip and IHSA shows!
    http://www.youtube.com/kheit86

We have a run-in only, and got horse #3 in Nov. Shed is big enough for 3 horses to fit in, but she never went in when they were in there. This spring we put up a gate inside to divide it in half and fenced straight out from that so she had the dry lot on her side, and they had a dry lot on their side. Another gate in the new fenceline so she could be let into their lot and then they all can get into the pasture from there. Make sense? You may not be set up where you can divide it like that. But if two of them are buddies maybe if you divide the shed somehow the two will go into one part and #3 can have the other part. I'd do better if I had pics. Maybe someone else has a good idea.

Outside Ocala FL - Horse Capital of the World

Can you take down the center wall that divides the two stalls? That way they can escape out of either door if necessary?

I will tell you that my 3 horses have free access to my center aisle barn, and most days I go down, and there will be two horses in a single stall, sometimes 3! Luckily they all get along, and as long as I calmly get them sorted out for meal time (they do get locked into seperate stalls for meals) we have had no incidents yet (knocking on wood again).

Cloudy's idea is good also, if you can determine which two are buddies. In my herd of 3, the buddies shift all the time, and some days, they all prefer to just hang out alone (but within eyesight of each other).
    There are friends and faces that may be forgotten, but there are horses that never will be. - Andy Adams

I only have 2, but they spend most of their inside-time in the same stall. they are 16.1hh and 17.2hh, in a 9'6x11-ish stall. A tight squeeze, no? haha.
    As long as the 3rd horse has access to shade on the side of the barn (in case the other 2 wouldn't let him in) or there are trees nearby, they should do fine.

Default 2 stalls / 2 horses NOT

We have our two guys in stalls that open into their field. At times they have free access to field and stalls. Generally speaking the Alpha horse, Alex, goes in the larger stall and Cooper stands outside his stall wanting to come in, but blocked by Alpha Alex. If Cooper went into the other stall, Alex would be forced, forced I tell you, to go chase him out and take over that stall. When there were 3 horses, 2 stalls, Alex would guard one, Cooper the other and the 3rd horse would walk between the two.

They are going to do what they do, unless you make almost impossible to do anything other than what you want. Alex can't be in direct summer sun for too long - old coat injuries. So he's in for the day starting about the end of the month. When that happens Alex is near door, Cooper is right there with him, playing in the doorway not hanging in the shade of the stall. There is an overhang with some shade, but it's mighty small sometimes.

We've found Cooper is less "BORN FREE" if he has some in time now so he is in for the worst of the heat of the day now.

I read once where someone divided there run in in half by hanging a couple big strips of burlap with some lead weights at the bottom of it fro mthe rafters. It gave a visual barrier that made the low horse feel safe, but also allowed for alot of give and an escape if the bossy horses decided to act up....worked well, and was easy and cheap.

My horse is pasture boarded on 2 acre's and has 2 friends. Their shelter is basically 2 stalls, then another section that would be stall sized that the hay rack is in, so can't really fit ponies there. But it also has an overhang that is 4' or so, and the pasture is tree lined. No problems with shade there. Thing is more then once we have found all 3 horses in one of the 12x12 stalls. They are a high alpha, middle man, and low man type, not one of them under 16 hands and they squeeze into that one stall happy as clams (maybe sardines would be a better analogy). If they live together 24x 7 they will get it figured out, just don't feed them in there.

Now my horse has taken to the pond (I warned the BO about this) that is in their pasture and is deperately trying to get the other 2 horses to join him for a dip.

Outside Ocala FL - Horse Capital of the World

This morning all three of mine were in the smallest stall again - I think they were head to tail, using each other as fly swatters or something. I very calmly got them all sorted out and into their own stalls for breakfast. This stall is 12x12, the other two stalls are 12x14, but they don't seem to care.
    There are friends and faces that may be forgotten, but there are horses that never will be. - Andy Adams