The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default USHJA discount for committee members

I'm not on a committee...but if you are, this is meant for you:

As a thank you for your time and dedication to the USHJA, In Stride is offering special rates on congratulations and for sale ads to committee members. The rates are only valid for “personal” ads (for sale, congratulations, welcome type ads). Normal rates for a full page color ad is $2670 but your committee member rate is $500 for color or $400 for black and white. Half page rates are also available $300 for color or $250 for black and white.
    There is still time to get your ad in for the June issue.
    If you have any questions or would like to book an ad please reply to this email or you can reach me directly at 410-798-5277.

Thanks,

Hunter Messineo
    Associate Publisher – USHJA In Stride

PS – If you have a horse show or product that you would like to promote in In Stride please let me know you also receive discounted rates on those ads.
    Last edited by JustJump; May. 4, 2010 at 07:29 AM.

Default A Benefit For Serving The Sport?

Oh no ... say it isn't true? An actual "perk" for those of us volunteers who spend countless hours and hours trying to better the sport by serving on committees and task forces? Those of us who work tirelessly on special projects, participate in numerous conference calls, spend thousands of dollars of our own, personal money (and not being reimbursed) flying to meetings, retreats and conventions around the country, all in the name of trying to make the sport a better one for all involved.

Isn't it horrible that you have to have been on a committee to qualify for this special rate? Why not every person that ever complained being able to qualify for the discount too? After all, if they hadn't whined about something, maybe the Chronicle Boards wouldn't be as exciting and interesting to read as they sometimes are. Kind of like a NASCAR race without any wrecks.

Seriously though, is a "perk" for serving this industry really misdirected? For all of the time and money I have personally dedicated over the past decade to this industry (with the AHSA, USA Eq, USEF and USHJA), I appreciate being recognized and offered a discount for something. Thank you Hunter Messineo and thank you USHJA.

Anyone else want a "perk"? Get involved and volunteer to help!

Chris Collman
    Proud USHJA Volunteer

Hollywood, but not the one where they have the Oscars!

I volunteered, and never even got a no thank you...screw you...nothing....
    "You can't really debate with someone who has a prescient invisible friend"
    carolprudm

"Misdirected" as in: I am not on a committee, yet it was sent to me.

Did I say it was horrible? Did I say it was anything aside from interesting?

Oversensitive much?

JustJump, it is your wording that made the impression. I thought the same thing as CCollman.
    Laurie
    Finding, preparing, showing and training young hunters, in hand and performance.
    www.juniorjohnsontrainingandsales.com

Quote Originally Posted by lauriep View Post
    JustJump, it is your wording that made the impression. I thought the same thing as CCollman.
    Me too. And after many years and hours as a volunteer for USEA, I would have responded the same way as CCollman.

Funny how a few simple words get interpreted as complicated ones.

I actually hadn't thought it, but perhaps, in light of the defensive attitude produced, a discussion as to whether such incentives are appropriate might be in order.

Indeed, this is the first time I've seen an example of a USHJA fee being lowered.

In the meantime, I've modified the title of this thread, and my offending introduction.

Finally...back in civilization, more or less

I saw the originally worded post, and frankly didn't see anything offensive about it.

Having been a committee member also (with AHSA and then the interim Federation, before the current structure was in place) I have done my share of volunteer work. (Frankly with the same gratitude that mroades received.)

I think it is fair to ask whether it's appropriate to offer committee *volunteers* this kind of perk. (Not saying it is or isn't, just that it is a valid topic for discussion.)

Personally I kind of wonder if it isn't geared to motivate more professionals to join committees (again, not suggesting that is good or bad, just fodder for discussion.)

One thing I think our governing bodies could use would be more volunteer support from outside the inner circle. Just my own opinion, from my prior experience on committees ... worth what you paid for it, LOL.
    We move pretty fast for some rabid garden snails.
    -PaulaEdwina

It sounds great to say they need more volunteers or more people willing to shoulder the load but I have not noticed the "inner circle" being especially open to the idea of "new blood."

If this is meant to be an incentive, why is it only being sent to committee members?

And why isn't there a volunteer/committee sign-up form anywhere on the website or in the magazine?

You have to run a gauntlet to be on a committee--they don't want "just anyone."

Well, it does seem inner circle, but not in a really clever or dastardly way. They want to sell advertising space. Who does that but people with training or sales businesses or similar?

A win-win among the existing, if narrow, audience.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat