The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Cost to build a concrete barn in Florida ? pros and cons of concrete ?

I'm working on getting a horse property and would like to put a barn on it.

I really like concrete block barns. They seem cooler, lower insurance rate, easier maintenance ...

Any input ?

The only concrete block barns around here are vet hospitals and the highest end TB breeding farms, that didn't skimp spending as much as they wanted to have a first class barn.

Some of those barns have been around now for over 50 years and still look like new.

The advantage, they are as fire proof as you can make one.
    The disadvantage, compared with a building shell and portable stalls, you can't remodel them very easily when your needs change.

Many of those barns were the old kind, where you led horses in and out and it took so much labor to operate them.
    One vet clinic did cut doors on the back of the stalls and put doors and runs there, but it was not easy.

Today, most everyone has stalls with doors into the aisle and doors to the outside with runs there.
    Some progressive barns, as one of the Priefert systems, have stall sides that slide into the aisle and you can strip all the stalls on one whole long side with a skidloader with a few passes.

Building with concrete will be, well, set in concrete.
    The ones I worked in, they sure were nice barns to keep clean and disinfected, especially nice with broodmares.

Outside Ocala FL - Horse Capital of the World

Almost all my neighbors have concrete block barns, and I envy them (mine is wood). My neighbor told me that her 6-stall center aisle concrete block, tin roof barn cost about 35,000 to build in 2003. The walls are easy to clean, they seem cooler in the summer.

Two other neighbors have barns made with concrete block, but the blocks have spaces in them, rather decorative, and great for airflow (which we know in FL is a plus).

And they seem to be the barns to go to during hurricane evacuations.
    There are friends and faces that may be forgotten, but there are horses that never will be. - Andy Adams

West of insanity, east of apathy, deep in the heart of Texas.

If I were to build a barn in FL today, it'd be concrete block. Low maintenance, self insulating, virtually hurricane proof, and generally indestructible. If you can afford it, do it!
    In loving memory of Laura Jahnke.
    A life lived by example, done too soon.
    www.caringbridge.org/page/laurajahnke/

Welll.... I have a wood barn that now has hardi-panel (concrete board) on the exterior. Low maintenance and a poor mans concrete barn solution
    "Sometimes you just have to shut up and color."

I love my concrete barns......clean easily, cool, hurricane safe, etc. Was same price as Morton was when wec chose to build it. Do a14 ft isleway and high scizzor trusses with ridge vents in roof.. Roll up garage doors on it are great for winter
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	big barn with roses jpg copy.jpg 
Views:	603 
Size:	110.5 KB 
ID:	29205  
    www.flyingcolorsfarm.comHome of pinto stallion Claim to Fame and his homozygous son, Counterclaim. Friend us on Facebook!https://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Fl...04678589573428

Quote Originally Posted by ponygirl View Post
    Welll.... I have a wood barn that now has hardi-panel (concrete board) on the exterior. Low maintenance and a poor mans concrete barn solution
    Wow, I think I would like to replace the wood siding on my barn with the Hardi-panel! I'm checking out their website now.

QQ for you - did you DIY or have a contractor install it?

We have a big storage shed that is made of the hardi-panel, and it is holding up beautifullly.
    There are friends and faces that may be forgotten, but there are horses that never will be. - Andy Adams

I have Hardi-panal on my barn. It is about 10 years old now. You have to be careful that whatever you line your stalls with is up agains the hardi or it will split, crack, or develope holes if the horses can lean on it like mine can. I Have about 6" between the hardi and the tongue and groove boards that line my stalls. and they have cracked it were they itch up against it. Most of it needs to be replaced now.

Does anyone know if anyone builds cinder block barns in or around Houston?

Just one warning, a QH breeder I met decided to build
    all his stalls of concrete block after someone he knew
    lost valuable horses in a fire. His barn was well protected
    against fire but he lost his stallion when that horse kicked
    the concrete wall and broke his leg. The owner reckoned
    that if the wall had been wood rather than concrete, the
    horse might not have broken his leg when he kicked.
    Robin from Dancing Horse Hill
    Elmwood, Wisconsin

Quote Originally Posted by MunchkinsMom View Post
    Wow, I think I would like to replace the wood siding on my barn with the Hardi-panel! I'm checking out their website now.

QQ for you - did you DIY or have a contractor install it?

We have a big storage shed that is made of the hardi-panel, and it is holding up beautifullly.
    Did it ourselves. Very easy to do but you need a special saw blade to cut it. I should say that we did not take down the wood as we have T&G for the whole barn. We just put the Hardi-Panel on top of it. I love it.
    "Sometimes you just have to shut up and color."

Finally...back in civilization, more or less

Quote Originally Posted by florida foxhunter View Post
    I love my concrete barns......clean easily, cool, hurricane safe, etc. Was same price as Morton was when wec chose to build it. Do a14 ft isleway and high scizzor trusses with ridge vents in roof.. Roll up garage doors on it are great for winter
    That barn is gorgeous!
    We move pretty fast for some rabid garden snails.
    -PaulaEdwina

West of insanity, east of apathy, deep in the heart of Texas.

Quote Originally Posted by ponygirl View Post
    Did it ourselves. Very easy to do but you need a special saw blade to cut it. I should say that we did not take down the wood as we have T&G for the whole barn. We just put the Hardi-Panel on top of it. I love it.
    Mark says he approves.

I would love to see pictures of the barn. Photos of the horses that might be living in that barn would be appreciated, too.
    In loving memory of Laura Jahnke.
    A life lived by example, done too soon.
    www.caringbridge.org/page/laurajahnke/

Quote Originally Posted by ESG View Post
    Mark says he approves.

I would love to see pictures of the barn. Photos of the horses that might be living in that barn would be appreciated, too.
    Ditto! Nice to know that I might be able to just put the Hardi-panel right over the old siding! Now I just need to talk my DH into it (his hobby is house remodelling, not the barn).

Would love to see the pictures of the hardi panel stuff ... it's seems interesting.